Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tachyon Lance vs. High Intensity Laser  (Read 17495 times)

Mandabar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Tachyon Lance vs. High Intensity Laser
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 11:35:25 PM »

When i placed two tachyon lances in my paragons large side turrets, it basically wiped out all the opposing fighters, and even frigates with weak shield generators. Its ability to do good EMP damage allows it to take out  the weapons and engines of larger ships.
So to answer the question, i'd rather use the lance.

Thank You.
I never even thought off moving the Lances to the large side turrets. OMG ownage.

Only issue I have no is the weapon group 4 has 2 heavy blasters on turrets and the 2 autopulse on the hardpoints. It seems hardpoints are different then turrets in the fact that they fire even if they can't hit where you are aiming. Unlike turrets that don't fire unless a firing solution is its arc of fire.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 07:09:13 AM »

Just put it on Alternating. The AI knows how to not fire the unnecessary weapon.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 07:30:45 AM »

I've been playing a "Sunder Lightsaber" and having a lot of fun.

Weapons:
-Tachyon Lance
-2x Harpoon Missile Launcher
-2x Railgun (front two ballistic turrets)
-1x Vulcan Cannon (rear ballistic turret)

Hull Mods:
-Resistant Flux Conduits, Auxiliary Thrusters
Vents/Capacitors:
-Maximum vents possible with this setup

It's a fun ship to fly, and you know you're getting to be a good pilot when you're able to regularly snipe off Talon and Wasp wings with it. Dunno how the AI does with it though.

the AI is extremely competent with the lance, in both not firing when your ships are in the way and hitting the smallest of fighters. its even smart enough to stay at the absolute max range of the gun as to not get itself in trouble when it has other weapons installed. (though, this sometimes leads to the hilarious situation where the ship ends up sniping the enemy from their spawn point and getting ganked if they have reserves inbound)

the aux thrusters seems to throw the AI off abit when it comes to using the weapon though, it tends to overcompensate and not deal as much damage as it could, atleast IMO.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 01:34:23 PM »

Never given the AI a try with the lance. Personally I love using my Thunder's to scout ahead and then sniping everything off. That said, I somewhat struggle getting past shields with a single lance...
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 01:57:40 PM »

Never given the AI a try with the lance. Personally I love using my Thunder's to scout ahead and then sniping everything off. That said, I somewhat struggle getting past shields with a single lance...

Thus why I bring Railguns in my preferred Sunder build. Plenty of kinetic damage with not a huge cost in flux. The Lance gives great pressure, but the Railguns can push the enemy to the point where they have to drop shields to avoid overloading, giving you a chance to melt through armor and knock out systems.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »

Thus why I bring Railguns in my preferred Sunder build. Plenty of kinetic damage with not a huge cost in flux. The Lance gives great pressure, but the Railguns can push the enemy to the point where they have to drop shields to avoid overloading, giving you a chance to melt through armor and knock out systems.
Railguns and Gauss Cannons are just lovely for that. Ever seen a onslaught run because of what you're firing at it? I have C:
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 08:50:57 AM »

High intensity is worse, but it can force the ai to keep the sheilds up, whilst you blast away with the rest of the arsenal. But the Tachyon lance can knock oout the engines and weapons of ships pretty easily.
 They both do different things.
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »

Railguns and Gauss Cannons are just lovely for that. Ever seen a onslaught run because of what you're firing at it? I have C:

I guess the AI needs some tweaking then because an Onslaught can just keep its shields turned off and smack you silly for trying to hit it with kinetics.
Pages: 1 2 [3]