Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hullmod bonuses from skills  (Read 553 times)

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
Hullmod bonuses from skills
« on: January 15, 2023, 07:20:40 AM »

Here's a random one kinda stolen from Reddit.

Picking certain skills unlocks hullmods more or less associated with the skill. For example picking the Flux Regulation skill automatically unlocks the Resistant Flux Conduits hullmod. This is generally speaking of absolutely minimal use since most hullmods are available on the open/black market for pennies and the really rare/good ones like ITU cannot be unlocked by skills in the first place.

But now that hullmods are going to have bonuses(or penalties) when S-modded, why not combine the two systems? For example picking Flux Regulation unlocks RFC, but also means that RFC will provide the S-mod bonus even when not built in. In case of hullmods with penalties, the penalty can be made smaller.

There are some balance concerns with this idea though, for example if the hullmod bonus applied to every ship it would make combat builds even stronger(i.e. you get Field Modulation for your flagship -> all ships in your fleet with Hardened Shields get a bonus) so it probably would have to be limited to hullmods on the flagship only.

Comrade_Bobinski

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Hullmod bonuses from skills
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 07:57:57 AM »

This is actually an excellent idea ! By limiting it only to flagship it would also be a buff to the neural network skill and hullmod which definitly need to be made more attractive.
It could also be a mean to balance hullmods with skills and make skill-specing more meaningfull... The most powerfull skills like armor tanking one could have their direct boni reduced but their hullmod s modding effect modified accordingly to compensate.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 08:20:41 AM by Comrade_Bobinski »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 08:11:13 AM »

Keep in mind this would make Remnant fights even more stupid.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Comrade_Bobinski

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 08:20:29 AM »

What about remnant fights ?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 08:22:35 AM »

They have more skills and officers than you could ever hope to have?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 09:51:29 AM »

They have more skills and officers than you could ever hope to have?

As I read BCS's idea, it would only apply to flagships. Probably only the player's flagship because NPC fleet commanders usually only have a couple skills. There wouldn't be any noticeable bump to Remnant difficulty.

It would be an interesting way to give non-Combat PCs a more powerful flagship (assuming unlocks were redistributed with that in mind).

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 10:21:02 AM »

But most skills that unlock hullmods are combat skills, as in personal. You're overcomplicating a very simple conclusion. Remnants with many skills and more officers > more incoming pain.

Unless of course none of the Remnant officers actually have the hullmods needed to have a bonus. I don't know the ship variants off the top of my head but this would mean crazy RNG variance. Some fights would be the same as now, and some would be much tougher depending on how many officer skills rolled onto the right ship.

Anyways I just don't like the idea since it introduces even more wacky mechanics.