Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: [0.97a] Carter's Junk Hull Mods - V 0.9.2 - 07/26/24 - Just a quick hotfix  (Read 57350 times)

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Carter's Junk Hull Mods - V 0.4.1 - 07/04/23
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2023, 10:01:32 AM »

I love this mod, I often find myself using it. Often I would have a case of like two or more OP left over and not knowing what to do with them, then your mod truly shines.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2023, 11:17:48 AM »

I love this mod, I often find myself using it.
<3 What a nice comment, thank you!
Often I would have a case of like two or more OP left over and not knowing what to do with them, then your mod truly shines.
That is the focus of the mod for sure. I too was always coming up with left over OP and that was the inspiration for this mod. I am happy to hear you find it useful and are enjoying it.

Lupin III.

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2023, 07:29:40 AM »

I really like the additional options that this mod gives. But I found that the mods relating to cargo space really need balancing. When it makes a random ship a better freighter than an actual freighter, something is off.

Check the comparison below: the shuttle with cargo pods is about equal in maintenance and fuel use per cargo to a Buffalo freighter, but has a much lower crew requirement, a heigher burn level, lower sensor profile and a higher top speed in combat (in case you need to run away). This is compared to a "vanilla expanded" Buffalo. A Buffalo expanded with this mod goes up to almost 1400 cargo capacity, which is 2/3 of a stock Atlas freighter. A single Atlas with 4800 cargo is also kind of broken.

Suggestions:
If the cargo pods should offer that much additional space, they also need to have equally major negative effects. Like higher maintenance, higher crew requirement, lower burn level, higher fuel usage (the only negative right now, but pretty much irrelevant if put on small ships) and higher sensor profile.

The cargo carver should not give a flat 20% to cargo space and -20% to hull. The added cargo space should be based on the hull points removed (with some factor, not just 1:1). It doesn't seem logical that the designers of freighters "missed" 20% of useable space for a small penalty in hull. With added cargo space based on hull points removed it would also make the cargo carver more interesting, like when you "carve out" a battleship. Essentially the cargo carver should be almost pointless to use on actual freighters, but actually be useful on "bulky" ships.

Same for the cargo filler, just the other way round. The added hull point should be based on the cargo space removed. Essentially the cargo filler should be almost pointless to use on military ships, but actually be useful on freighters.

The sensor booster and "far sight" also seem too overpowered considering the negatives they have (i. e. none  ;) ). It should at least increase supply usage, maybe increase the sensor profile, or make those sensors not work at all in nebulae for example.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2023, 11:41:17 AM »

I really like the additional options that this mod gives.
I appreciate hearing that. Giving players additional options to modify their ships is what CJHM is all about.
But I found that the mods relating to cargo space really need balancing. When it makes a random ship a better freighter than an actual freighter, something is off.

Check the comparison below: the shuttle with cargo pods is about equal in maintenance and fuel use per cargo to a Buffalo freighter, but has a much lower crew requirement, a heigher burn level, lower sensor profile and a higher top speed in combat (in case you need to run away). This is compared to a "vanilla expanded" Buffalo. A Buffalo expanded with this mod goes up to almost 1400 cargo capacity, which is 2/3 of a stock Atlas freighter. A single Atlas with 4800 cargo is also kind of broken.

Suggestions:
If the cargo pods should offer that much additional space, they also need to have equally major negative effects. Like higher maintenance, higher crew requirement, lower burn level, higher fuel usage (the only negative right now, but pretty much irrelevant if put on small ships) and higher sensor profile.

The cargo carver should not give a flat 20% to cargo space and -20% to hull. The added cargo space should be based on the hull points removed (with some factor, not just 1:1). It doesn't seem logical that the designers of freighters "missed" 20% of useable space for a small penalty in hull. With added cargo space based on hull points removed it would also make the cargo carver more interesting, like when you "carve out" a battleship. Essentially the cargo carver should be almost pointless to use on actual freighters, but actually be useful on "bulky" ships.
I get your 1:1 point but I am unsure if I could code to work in that matter. 20/-20 is the best risk v reward conversion ratio that I thought would be worth using it. Personally I would never use either cargo carver or cargo pod hull mod on a ship I planned to deploy into combat. The hull, turn rate and speed depreciation makes any military ship easy pickings for wolfpacks, missiles, fighters etc.
Same for the cargo filler, just the other way round. The added hull point should be based on the cargo space removed. Essentially the cargo filler should be almost pointless to use on military ships, but actually be useful on freighters.
Well using it on mil ships is the point of the mod. I made it for players that could care less about trade and wanted to min/max their battle fleets.
The sensor booster and "far sight" also seem too overpowered considering the negatives they have (i. e. none  ;) ). It should at least increase supply usage, maybe increase the sensor profile, or make those sensors not work at all in nebulae for example.
The sensor strength Far Sight gives is very expensive compared to other CJHM mods so I figured the high OP cost is the balance.
Auxiliary Sensor Booster is far less OP for only a minimal effect that could be spent on better things but if you find yourself with that little left over OP, well here is a small buff to use it on until you can spend that OP for a better use.

I appreciate your feedback and will give it some more thought. I have only a base skill level with Java so I am unsure if I can change them to be more complex which makes these mods, well, Junk :)

TheSAguy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2023, 11:07:40 AM »

Just wanted to say I really a enjoying these new Hull-mods.
The only change I wish there was, was not to just get most of them from the start, but having to find them at stations or loot.

But again thanks for these!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2023, 12:36:57 PM »

Just wanted to say I really a enjoying these new Hull-mods.
The only change I wish there was, was not to just get most of them from the start, but having to find them at stations or loot.

But again thanks for these!
I am happy to hear you are enjoying them. I do have an embedded file in the mod that does make the hull mods unlearned at start and only learnable as loot. I have the instructions on the front page of the mod but for ease, here they are:

To enable: Navigate to data\hullmods located in the CJHM mod folder and either move, rename or delete hull_mods.csv. Now rename the file unlearned_hull_mods.csv to hull_mods.csv

Happy exploration!

Aran1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2023, 03:55:32 PM »

belt armor and cargo filler: if you build in belt armor you can then stack cargo filler on top of it. When installing cargo filler first it prevents belt armor from being installed but if belt armor is installed you can still install cargo filler though without it being built in it simply replaces it. this is a fairly common bug/exploit for hullmods.

if I wanted to make flux swap broken op by increasing how much dissipation it gives and have nearly no coding skill how would I do that? I was able to change its ingame text but not its ability.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2023, 05:16:40 PM »

belt armor and cargo filler: if you build in belt armor you can then stack cargo filler on top of it. When installing cargo filler first it prevents belt armor from being installed but if belt armor is installed you can still install cargo filler though without it being built in it simply replaces it. this is a fairly common bug/exploit for hullmods.
Hello there and thank you for taking the time to inform me. I do have code in the Belt Armor hull mod that prevents it from being installed with cargo carver and cargo filler. I will look into the process you describe when I have some time and see what I can do to address it.
if I wanted to make flux swap broken op by increasing how much dissipation it gives and have nearly no coding skill how would I do that? I was able to change its ingame text but not its ability.
Open the file "CJHM_fluxswap" in data\scripts\hullmods if you do not have a java complier I recommend using notepad++ (it is free and easy to use and recognizes Java code). Navigate to lines 12 and 13 you will see the following text:
    public static final float DIS = 1.05f;
    public static final float CAP = .95f;
Those stats represent 5% with DIS (dissipation) increasing and CAP (capacity) decreasing. In order to increase a stat then go above 1 i.e. 1.05f = +5% and conversely to decrease a stat go below 1 i.e. .95f = -5%

If I can replicate your initial concern I will release a hotfix that address it. Should be a quick fix but I am currently working on HIVER and TTSC with fixes/additions atm and free time is sorta limited so as an ETA most likely this weekend, maybe sooner if I can.

If you have any more questions please reach out and I'll help as I can.

Aran1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2023, 07:38:30 PM »

ah, I see. DX of course it was the very clearly marked +/-5 that I completely ignored. ty for answering ^,^

no rush, it's an easily overlooked issue and anyone who knows about it will wish it takes a long time to fix it XD

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Carter's Junk Hull Mods - V 0.5 - 10/31/23
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2023, 10:45:45 AM »

no rush, it's an easily overlooked issue and anyone who knows about it will wish it takes a long time to fix it XD
I had a couple free hours this morning and I needed a break from trying to figure out the Hiver commodity problem so I went ahead and made some changes based on your input Aran1 - TY for sharing your opinions!

v0.5 released today - Save Game compatible* - Note before installing the update if you have cargo carver, cargo filler or belt armor stacked on your ships, you need to load your 0.4.1 saved game, remove them then save game. You can now update to 0.5, you will just need to refit your changed ships when you resume your game.  - Changelog on the forum OP and in the ZIP have all the details

Aran1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2023, 06:52:01 AM »

nice, wont be able to update for a while since theyre built in XD

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2023, 11:41:24 AM »

nice, wont be able to update for a while since theyre built in XD
If you have them as Smods they can be removed at a dock for an XP refund (assuming you are using better deserved smods mod). Either way thanks again for the ideas and happy exploring with the new hull mod. :)

Jaime Wolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2024, 02:23:40 AM »

Do you still have a 0.95.1a version of this? If so would you be willing to make a link for it please?

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2024, 02:44:52 AM »

Do you still have a 0.95.1a version of this? If so would you be willing to make a link for it please?
Good morning,
I do keep a repository of previous versions of my mods on dropbox. This will lead to the 0.3 version which was the last 0.95.1a compliant version of CJHM. It will work but will lack any changes made to the mod between 0.3 and the current 0.5 version. If you are curious what that entails, the full changelog is on the forum OP.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/03fiwrk73lax0n5/Carter%27s%20Junk%20Hull%20Mods.rar?dl=0

Enjoy!

Jaime Wolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2024, 03:00:43 PM »

Awesome thank you!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6