Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Buff the Medium Energy Slot  (Read 5934 times)

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Buff the Medium Energy Slot
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2023, 04:19:53 AM »

It is, it's nice to see that LG ships are getting something more than just Solar Shielding for their "LG tax"(Brawler LG has 5 less OP than regular Brawler, and 15 less than Brawler TT)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2023, 04:29:46 AM »

Yeah I'm really happy Alex listened to feedback and made LG ships unique and fun in their own way, instead of them being a pure downgrade while looking different.

But now with Mining Blaster getting a nice rework, and Gravitons having an additional effect on hit, medium energies are pretty much in a good place. Only other thing I'd touch is the Heavy Burst Laser.
Please don't take me too seriously.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2023, 05:21:43 AM »

That’s actually pretty good. Yes, it can eat armor but its sustained DPS is garbage, it will be terrible against shields and it’s low range. I assume the last of the flavor text means it holds back a charge or two when when shooting at shields?

It won’t be a “poor man’s Heavy Blaster” anymore and that’s ok.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 06:11:03 AM by FooF »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2023, 05:33:03 AM »

Mining Blaster change may be interesting, especially for phase ships with Phase Anchor (to speed up recharge), but I wonder what will happen with Apogee and player's high-tech battlestations.

Apogee starter can probably replace the tac lasers with IR PLs.  Two or more IR PL is the energy shield cracker, although only two is frigate level firepower.

Player's high-tech battlestations with only base_bp?  Wonder how they will work with only HE mining blasters in the bigger weapon mounts.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2023, 06:52:13 AM »

...this now means Pulse Laser is the basic one (it's on open market right?).
If things stay as they are now, no.  For energy options, only the two mining weapons are Open Market.

That said, pulse lasers are fairly common in black markets, and if the way black markets work stay as they are, then it will be fairly trivial to go to an enemy or unprotected station and buy it from there.

It just so happens that the two base energy weapons are also Open Market weapons, and the bigger problem is energy loadouts for things limited to base weapons set only and cannot be configured by player.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2023, 03:02:51 PM »

Huh, with expanded magazines that means the new mining blaster would dump out 2100 HE damage with 700 penetration in 1.2 seconds.

Sunder in the back anyone? I think with skills it legitimately might be able to "one burst" a Dominator, or get close to it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 03:06:32 PM by Thaago »

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2023, 04:21:14 PM »

Sunder using HEF (+50%) and assuming +15% average bonus from Energy Mastery, +15% from targetting analysis, +10% from 'pack, and +10% from CR gives a (100 + 15 + 15 + 10 + 10)(1.5) = 225% damage. Using three Mining Blasters outputs 6,300 damage, or 14,175 at 1575 (Hellbore-esque) pen after all the boosts. Dominator is 14,000 hull + 1,500 armor, so it should still survive, barely.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2023, 06:14:27 PM »

Yeah hah there's no way it's staying that way :)

Lortus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2023, 06:26:55 PM »

Energy weapons need to be worse/more restrictive than the other weapon types because the ships they are mounted on are just better. This especially applies to range because high tech ships are faster, and would just kite everything with 1200 range beams if they were allowed to use energy weapons on par with ballistics.

Medium energy weapons are the best damage output SO weapons in the game (Heavy Blaster and Ion Pulser) but they are pretty lacking in midrange/long range. Alex seems to think the same because he gave the LG ships all Energy Bolt Coherer which I think is great. If all the LG sub-capitals get the hullmod that means you can play most of the midline roster with it. Seems like medium energies are effectively buffed now (assuming that LG doesn't have some crippling downside), while not buffing high tech ships like the Fury, which unlike what some here claim, is not bad and is one of the best ships in the game. Also I think many weapons will not be good with energy bolt coherer since these midline ships still don't have the flux to run all those energies.

Also to reply to Alex the new Mining Blaster feels like it will be pretty garbage. Basically a Phase Lance with HE that does hard flux (which doesn't matter much since it's HE), and has lower DPS. You could also see it as a crappy Heavy Blaster if you want. I hope it is buffed somehow or changed to be more useful.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 06:34:58 PM by Lortus »

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2023, 06:48:54 PM »

I'm thinking scripted damage is going make an appearance soon... ;)

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2023, 07:06:48 PM »

Lortus, did you not see Hatters calculation showing that the new mining blaster can, with the right set up, almost destroy a Dominator in about 1 second?
I think the mining blaster should get a bit less damage and do some armour only damage like breach missiles. Maybe change the damage type back to energy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 07:09:31 PM by BaBosa »

mezzelo

• Ensign
  • lasher enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2023, 11:03:36 PM »

Sunder using HEF (+50%) and assuming +15% average bonus from Energy Mastery, +15% from targetting analysis, +10% from 'pack, and +10% from CR gives a (100 + 15 + 15 + 10 + 10)(1.5) = 225% damage. Using three Mining Blasters outputs 6,300 damage, or 14,175 at 1575 (Hellbore-esque) pen after all the boosts. Dominator is 14,000 hull + 1,500 armor, so it should still survive, barely.

did a sanity check on this, for science

while not quite a one second kill, mining blaster is still quite strong - especially given burst synergizes with HT doctrine.  nothing competes nearly as well against heavy armour without using torpedoes.  heavy blasters take a similar time to kill under the same criteria, but mining blasters don't eat up your entire flux capacity in the process.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2023, 12:47:49 AM »

… that’s overpowered as hell but I don’t care because I love it. Really cool video.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2023, 05:21:35 AM »

I see that LG Hammerhead with two medium energies...

... which if you think about it is a bit weird, since it's almost a worse Sunder that way which has the same mounts plus a large energy and HEF. Which means LG Hammerhead must have a non-HEF system otherwise it'd be almost certainly just a worse Sunder.

I wonder if the TT Brawler will get Coherer as well. I suppose it doesn't have to since it has Plasma Jets and 5 extra OP (plus the default TT builds use beams) but feels a bit weird if the actual high tech Brawler is lacking such a high tech hullmod.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 05:23:33 AM by Embolism »

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2023, 06:37:51 AM »

I also see the LG Sunder has a G I G A Cannon…
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8