Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where on God's green earth do you find Solar Shielding?  (Read 1086 times)

DiscRover

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Where on God's green earth do you find Solar Shielding?
« on: November 22, 2022, 08:21:40 AM »

Been told they're almost guaranteed to be found in Warning Beacon: Medium to High systems but also derelict ships/probes but I've pillaged a couple of those systems already and the ship/probe missions but nada.

Do I have to just continue working through the RNG?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Where on God's green earth do you find Solar Shielding?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 08:27:41 AM »

It is, indeed, RNG.

I will note, however, that whoever told you that is wrong - that advice may have worked for them, but it's entirely RNG. They got lucky, there's no guarantee.

I will also note that hullmod specs can be found up for sale. Check markets, check black markets, check military markets if you have access to them. I usually find solar shielding for sale somewhere, rather than from salvage. (But this, too, is RNG.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

DiscRover

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 08:54:40 AM »

yeah I had a feeling. Thanks for the help

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 01:53:08 PM »

Most reliable place to find it is in Diktat markets since its their needed hullmod to survive the Askonian sun. Make sure to swing by every now and again until you can get it. Otherwise, there's probably a (lesser) chance to find it out and about in the black market? Though I've never seen it outside of Askonia personally.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 04:23:24 PM »

I usually get Solar Shielding off of a weapons cache or a research station. Those are ... somewhat more common in beacon systems, but there's plenty in less dangerous places, too.

Black holes and neutron stars often have research stations. Remember that you can scavenge the debris they leave behind after you've looted them.

Weapons caches often show up in the wrecked systems full of scavengers - pirate bar events can often point you to these, and the scavengers aren't usually tough enough to worry about even if they turn hostile.