Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: starsector crashing when i try to take a screenshot [solved]  (Read 274 times)

Lely

• Ensign
    • View Profile
starsector crashing when i try to take a screenshot [solved]
« on: November 19, 2022, 07:51:20 AM »

game crashes when i press print screen in the menu and the campaign
i tried running the game on a lower resolution and without sound but it didnt help the error message says to check out the log and i think this is the important part:

[Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at javax.imageio.ImageIO.write(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.util.OOoO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

by the way im on windows and have played the game for a long time without any problems its just the screenshot thing
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 10:14:02 AM by Lely »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: starsector crashing when i try to take a screenshot
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 07:58:19 AM »

Hi - hmm, this is rather strange. Did you by chance edit the vmparams file? I could see this happening if it pointed to a non-existing screenshots folder. Or, actually: could also see this happening if the screenshots/ folder (which should be on the same level as mods/) was missing or renamed.

Lely

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 08:26:09 AM »

Hi - hmm, this is rather strange. Did you by chance edit the vmparams file? I could see this happening if it pointed to a non-existing screenshots folder. Or, actually: could also see this happening if the screenshots/ folder (which should be on the same level as mods/) was missing or renamed.

theres no screenshot folder in my starsector folder which is in program files86/fractal softworks
and i DID edit the vmparams file. i edited this part (-Xms3072m -Xmx3072m ) which i think was 1.5gbs before and i still have 3 more gbs left for the system i edited it because i was getting a low ram message in the game
 now that you say it i probably messed the editing part up. can you show me an unchanged version so i can compare them or will it generate a new one if i delete it?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 09:12:33 AM »

The screenshots/ folder would be under C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector. If it's not there, then creating it might resolve the problem.

You can grab the latest version of the game here - if you just install it to a different folder, you could copy its vmparams file to your install.

Lely

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 10:13:18 AM »

i solved the problem alex thanks for the quick help ill just leave the solution here for others and you can mark this as solved if thats not up to me i dont know im new to the forums

the vmparams file was alright and creating a screenshot folder did nothing, the mods i had were not causing any problems and my save wasnt corrupted. its just that the game was freaking out with 3gbs of ram first i reduced it to 2gbs and it didnt work then to 1.5gbs and that solved the problem and im getting better performance as well for some reason even though the red text told me 1.5 is not enough

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: starsector crashing when i try to take a screenshot [solved]
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 10:49:29 AM »

Ah, interesting - thank you for the info!