Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How deep is economic system in this game?  (Read 771 times)

Jabroni

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How deep is economic system in this game?
« on: November 15, 2022, 02:37:08 PM »

What made my try this game in a first place was Sseth recommendation on YouTube and fact that it had trading. Since I love economy in games (and in general) I've decided to try it. I was expecting it to be pretty shallow like other games, where commodities have fixed prices that maybe sometimes change, but I was surprised to discover that it's economy actually reflects what is happening in the game and it made me even more addicted to it.

I know that planets need certain resources to maintain growth and stability and when they lack them the prices goes up and there's even menu if I recall correctly, which shows amounts produced by planets, but I wonder how deep this system goes. Does, for example, my colony which produces organics supply global economy of the sector by traders buying it at my system and selling it to others system that need it? Does raiding my enemy's convoys makes them weaker by disrupting their planets and slowing down their production of ships? Does the AI colonize more when they have stable economy or it's just random event? Is there an option to destroy pirates and Luddic Path and other potential enemies and make sector prosper with new colonies poping up on every habitable planet?

Is Starsector truly a systemic game in which in-game events are reflected by certain conditions or is it just really good illusion?

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How deep is economic system in this game?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 05:06:32 PM »

Its something in between an illusion and full simulation.

But there is much manipulation that can happen to the "illusion part". Its definitely more detailed and simulated than 4x games.

A good way to understand the simulation is by imagining that every day normal deliveries of trade between planets(markets) are invisible, but not invincible.

When a market has a shortage, the game will spawn an relief fleet that is an acutal entity in the game that can be destoryed, which will worsen the shortage.

Also pirate event, raiding, and industry disruption will affect stability, production, and accessibility that in turn will affect how much import/export that can be invisibility conducted. When the export/import demand is not met due to conditions there will be a excess/shortage that can be taken advantage of.

Also this is compounded on top of the global market. For exsample its possible to determine an weak link in production, and abuse it for massive profits early on during the game.

This is bacuse one market, if big enough, can export and meet the demands of an infinite amount of markets. As long as their total export number, say 11, is larger than the need demand number, usually 5 to 9, of a typical market.

Say the global market for fuel is 600k a month. Thats all the fuel demand of the whole game. That can be met by 1 market, say you start making fuel as well and make 11 fuel a month aswell. Then you share that 600k with the other market.

If you disrupt their fuel operation that means you suddenly make double the amount of credits from fuel production, add in the calculation of upkeep of a market you might go from a 150k a month profit to 500k a month profit.
*explains why the AI always wants to disrupt your industries*

This can be exploited in many different ways to make lots of profit.