Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Things not to do in Starfarer  (Read 24735 times)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Things not to do in Starfarer
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »

It's weird, I kind of have the opposite view with regards to reliance on shields. I prefer when ships rely on shields because they're quicker and cheaper to repair and shields are effectively infinite. It's a subjective thing mostly, but the Paragon's shields are redonkulus, especially with a veteran or elite crew.

Also, leaving off weapons is a perfectly valid tactic- it frees up OP to either add on more vents or capacitors, or put stronger or more useful weapons in the remaining slots. Slots with awkward, purely defensive, or useless weapon arcs are good candidates for ignoring. It really helps specialize a ship, or better gear it towards its strengths. If you find you never use the missiles on an enforcer, for example, you could get more capacitors for it instead.

Also, you're right that the AI with that setup probably wouldn't beat two Onslaughts, but that's mostly because the AI wouldn't use the same tactics. It probably wouldn't matter what setup the Paragon has in that situation.
You can't rely on shields against an Onslaught with a Paragon though, it's simply impossible. You need to try and match its offensive power since you can't rely on your armor to pull you through. Its also a lot about disabling the others weapons with EMP, take down its EMP weapons and its Armor shredders and you stand a decent chance.

Sarkovar

• Ensign
  • Oh god it's so beautiful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 09:48:10 PM »

Don't ever think that the paragon can stand toe to toe with the Onslaught... you'll just get slaughtered by the autocannons and then the H assault guns. If you want to try it, try it with 4 tachyon lances. You might survive

I simply do not understand everyone's collective hard on for the Onslaught's "offensive capabilities". Compared to the Paragon the Onslaught is a joke and a bad one at that, sweep it with the lance two or three times and the A.I. is left with two choices: keep the shield up and be a turtle or drop the shields and risk getting obliterated by the Paragon's superior weapons package. It's all a matter of distance, and positioning, when you get right down to it. The Paragon packs just as much of a punch (with a longer reach no less!) but is much more maneuverable than the Onslaught and can therefore stay out of range of the majority of the Onslaught's defenses while the Onslaught's only hope for victory is a reliance on strike craft and fighters to (hopefully) flame-out the Paragon's engines so it can position itself for an optimal assault.  

EDIT: Just went head to head against an Onslaught with a standard Paragon.... I blew it out of the sky like I was playing Duck Hunt
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:55:49 PM by Sarkovar »
The Interstellar Federation: Laser free since '83. (except for the Jardain)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 10:50:57 PM »

I find it great that we have the low techies and the high techies arguing about which is the better cap ship.  :P

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »

Maybe the community will degenerate into two sides over this. Interesting...

Heavy Weapons Pony

• Commander
  • Luna is best Admiral.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 11:08:21 PM »

LOL Who uses the Pargon or the Onslaught?

Don't lie you don't use either of them you just load them up with the highest level crew you can and fly an Apogee or Aurora around.
I am Admiral Luna and this is my favorite game on the Internets.
"Captain! Pilum Missile's detected at 18 degrees starboard!"
"Thank you ensign, but I'm quite sure our Burst PD array can handle that"
(Chuckles around the bridge)
"It seems to be a volley of thirty-two, sir"
(Dead silence) ~ Zaga

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 11:11:07 PM »

I do...  :'(

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 12:54:06 AM »

Why is everyone arguing? I beat two Onslaughts (one after another) with an Oddessey!(but with hefty amounts of distraction from fighters). But I guess I could never do it alone.
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 06:14:21 AM »

Why is everyone arguing? I beat two Onslaughts (one after another) with an Oddessey!(but with hefty amounts of distraction from fighters). But I guess I could never do it alone.
It's possible, the Odyssey is rather fast and the Onslaught has a weakpoint in it's rear defense. Especially if you give it Augmented engines. Make sure you are in control of the Capture Points and you can easily finish off any number of Onslaughts.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 07:05:54 AM »

Using an Onslaught with four torpedo launchers on the back is probably the most fun I have in this game. Hitting ships with torpedoes is one of the most satisfying things in this game IMO, and once you get good at it its just epic.
Compared to the Paragon the Onslaught is a joke and a bad one at that...
The Paragon is too busy eating torpedo death from my Onslaught to fire anything. Those Paragon shields may be nice, but they present a massive target.

Sarkovar

• Ensign
  • Oh god it's so beautiful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 08:14:04 AM »

Using an Onslaught with four torpedo launchers on the back is probably the most fun I have in this game. Hitting ships with torpedoes is one of the most satisfying things in this game IMO, and once you get good at it its just epic.
Compared to the Paragon the Onslaught is a joke and a bad one at that...
The Paragon is too busy eating torpedo death from my Onslaught to fire anything. Those Paragon shields may be nice, but they present a massive target.

If there was multiplayer in SF I would make you eat those words friend. Torpedoes (I assume you speak of the Reaper?) fire at about the speed of smell and anything faster than a stump can dodge them if they're not trying to dry hump you like most capital ships do. Capital Ships want free hugs and I'm more than happy to hug them with hot pew pew filled death.
The Interstellar Federation: Laser free since '83. (except for the Jardain)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 08:41:46 AM »

Indeed, too bad there is not multiplayer. You can dodge one or two torps, but a good spread of them is quite difficult to dodge.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 09:31:46 AM »

I would say that even an apogee could, properly armed, kill an onslaught. Outmaneuver it to the rear, smash up the engines with a tachyon lance, then use a cyclone reaper launcher to make reaper strikes whilst it's completely helpless.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Mandabar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »

Hmm.. I feel bad today. I went and killed the Hegemony Defense Fleet and all 3 Onslaughts with my Paragon with minimal support.

Poor things, just can't take a licking and keep on ticking.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 06:42:04 AM »

I would say that even an apogee could, properly armed, kill an onslaught. Outmaneuver it to the rear, smash up the engines with a tachyon lance, then use a cyclone reaper launcher to make reaper strikes whilst it's completely helpless.
Yeah but literally anything can kill an Onslaught, its slow and has a front shield that leaves a hole in its back. A player can kite it to death using a shuttle.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 06:44:14 AM »

Yeah, Onslaught's are a bad example.

They're even supposed to be, note the 'Outdated'.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5