Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Terrible performance, bottle necked on one core  (Read 574 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
Terrible performance, bottle necked on one core
« on: October 10, 2022, 05:16:44 PM »

Ye, im using an AMD card. I have a terrible nvidea card i used for testing, and while i get worse performance with the nvidea card, it isnt that much worse. certainly not the drop i would expect using a card with 5% of the oomph of my amd one. which has me looking elsewhere for a more fundamental issue... and i think it is that almost the entire game runs on a single cpu core. i have a 16 core processor, which has good overall power but it means each individual one is weak. and sure enough, every time i check in the performance monitor one core is always maxed out. if i disable that core, a different one goes to 100% and my fps in battles stays around 20. gpu, vram, and ram are all only partially being utilized, which makes me certain the issue is the game trying to run on that one core almost exclusively.

is better multithreading planned for future releases? or am i simply stuck not being able to play this game until and unless i buy a new processor?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible performance, bottle necked on one core
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 05:40:41 PM »

Is this vanilla or with mods?

The game is largely single-threaded and that's not going to change. (Edit: well, "exceedingly unlikely", never say never and all that, so let's call it 99%. But the game runs at a better framerate than you're getting on some pretty old processors, so it's unclear what's going on here. Although, "battles" is awfully vague; the framerate is going to heavily depend on how much stuff is on the screen. The first mission - A Fistful of Credits - is a potentially useful point of reference.)

However, it's surprising to see the game getting a core to 100% - generally speaking, you'd expect to see it lower than that, with at least some time spent idle while the game is waiting for vsync to refresh the screen. You didn't uncap the framerate, did you? It might be interesting to know what sort of processor you have, too, just for reference.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 05:44:30 PM by Alex »

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 06:09:40 PM »

huh, it isnt 16, it is 6, with 6 'virtual' cores bringing it to 12 functionally. but it is an AMD ryzen 5 2600x. and yes, i do have a lot of mods running. tbh, great as the game is, without an extra 20 factions, and nex doing some diplomacy, the universe feels... empty. i mean, i actually disable most of the nex stuff, invasions and expansion both. they war and squabble and such, but no one takes or makes planets. i also use starship legends, come to think of it. and i stockpile all the weapons i find at a planet. hmm. might see if nuking some stuff might make it easier to run.

ye, i disable vsync. in that first mission, a fistful of credits, i stay over 140 fps the entire fight, one core got to 90%, looks great. in the last hurrah i drop to 50, oddly it seems to be pushing 2 cores to 100% alternating, which it doesnt do in game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 06:14:14 PM »

Hmm, unless I'm missing something, that seems like a pretty reasonable processor.

It's weird that you're getting two cores near-maxed in the fight - I guess the OS is doing some kind of juggling? Maybe it's to do with how the virtual cores work.

One thing I'd suggest doing - if you haven't already - is turning off GraphicsLib by using its settings file (so the mod can stay enabled for compatibility with other mods, but doesn't actually *do* anything). It does require more performance to run the game with it, unless it's disabled in that way.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 06:31:11 PM »

i actually get a few more fps with it enabled. i have tried it both ways. either way, in game it doesnt juggle with 2 cores, just maxes one so i hit 20fps in fights.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 08:31:46 AM »

Just a heads up, i disabled all mods and get the same performance. drops to 40-50 in the last hurrah

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 08:51:54 AM »

Hmm, 40-50 fps doesn't sound like the same as 20, and The Last Hurrah is a pretty reasonably-sized battle. Have you tried reducing the maximum battle size in the gameplay settings tab? Performance is more or less why that setting is there. I'd suggest trying 300 first - it *should* help appreciably and is still a pretty good amount of stuff.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 11:48:11 AM »

300 is where it is set at. i meant i get the same performance in the mission with mods enabled or disabled. and 50 fps is too low to be comfortable. possibly some hardware malfunction on my end, but anything below 90 seems to go out of sync and stutters so bad it feels like 30fps.