Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: first colony (optimal)  (Read 13075 times)

ihugyourmom

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: first colony (optimal)
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2022, 07:57:43 AM »

cycle 207 and my first colony is on its way! yay..

Took the exploration route this time, and first system was at the far edge of the map, and lucky for me had 2 food planets + utility planets. There is no gate and only 2 stable locations, but i am going ahead with it.. see how well it develope, if for nothing else the experience. Being at the far edge of the map i am sure will be an issue further along, but we'll see how it goes.

screens of map, system and colony.
https://imgur.com/a/zDdBKam

The 2 small planets around the gas one, are both food ones (-1) but low hazards 75% and 100%. So in either way, if i leave them to just produce food, they should pay for themselves rather fast.

..too infinity and beyond!

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2022, 08:27:46 AM »

after aprox 500 planets surveyed and cycle 214, i am still without a colony. I aint sure what i wrong with me lol...

screenshots with most of the survey data and items
https://imgur.com/a/lK7vr5J

Wish there was a console command so i could check systems before starting, its beginning to get to me that i play for so many hours and still not starting the colony phase.
I do realise that its my own fault, and any planet will work.. but that just doesnt work for me!

ideal planet/system:
gate
2-3 stable points
food planet, +2 resource/utility planets (heat for fleets etc)

I found a small cluster of planets with 2 cryosleeper near, but no gate around, and i spend enough time pushing lshift as it is, so i dont wanna have to micromanage and spend time flying around as well..

Might need a break from this game at this point.

Yup i am definitely burning out on the whole "search for a system", must have restarted over 100 times this month alone, and its getting to me now.. hard.

I tend to agree with most comments in this thread - perfect is the enemy of good enough.  You can generally make almost any system profitable that has a few lower hazard (i.e. 200% and below) worlds in it and the presence of a decent number of resources (-1 is enough with story points, alpha core administrator, and an alpha core in the industry to meet any base industry needs at size 6, and as noted -1 is fine for food without any bumping).  Actually, even 300% hazard worlds aren't that bad if you're providing all resources in faction, but I wouldn't want them to be the majority of my worlds, especially starting out.

However, I will also point out this is a single player game.  If you want the game to play a certain way, and it's not meeting that desire, to the point you feel you need to step away or are burning out, there's nothing wrong with changing the game. 

There's a number of options in that regard, including using seeds from other players (assuming they match the mods you are using), dev mode, console commands mod, mods which allow for terraforming, or even old fashioned save file parsing and save file editing.

There have been threads with collections of nice seeds in the past, and we could start up another one - not sure if there's one with the current release candidate still floating around off hand.   This happens to be the least invasive and tends to not spoil too much.

Dev mode is activated by going to starsectore-core/data/config/settings.txt and changing devMode line from false to true.  Starting a game with that will allow you to use ctrl+z to toggle sensors on and off (you want off in this case), which lets you peak into any system you want (along with marking all the remnant warning beacons when in hyperspace).  If you turn names on for the hyperspace map and zoom in slightly so all names show up, you can easily find cryosleeper systems as the names show up in bright green.

The console commands mod (available in the mod area of the forums) has a command (ctrl+backspace to enter terminal, Survey all) to survey every single planet in the game, allowing you to then sort by world hazard or other requirement, and then quickly check if that system has a gate system.

So yes, there is a "console command" for that.

Although in these cases, you might just want to then note the seed, and restart with these options and mod off, simply to have the more normal game progression, knowing where the perfect system happens to be.

Alternatively, the save files are plain text, and written in a structured way.  It's a pretty simple programing assignment to write a script to parse them for the planets and resources they contain, and then set some requirements (i.e. must have 1 of each resource somewhere, an airless world, and a gate, for example) and have it spit out how many systems meet those requirements exists without ever personally looking at a starmap or having it tell you where they are, which might preserve the sense of exploration.  Essentially, start new game, point script as save file, and then accept or restart again.

Lastly, the plain text files are easy enough to even hand edit (although always backup before hand).  If you want to add resources or change the level of resources on a planet, it's a pretty trivial edit of the conditions list for the planet.

The point of the game is to have fun, and if fun involves having a hyper optimized colony location and you can't seem to stop yourself for going for one more pull of the RNG system generator before ever starting a colony, there can be more efficient and enjoyable ways to use your time.

ihugyourmom

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2022, 09:43:13 AM »

snip..

Its all about picking ones battles, i dont wanna code a parser or manually search the files to edit them to my needs. Its just way to time consuming imho. I tried to fiddle with the game engine and mods and see where they took me.
Me wanting a "perfect" planet is as much of a QOL so i can quickly unload stuff and manage a system, as it is about min/maxing.

Its not a new experience for me, i bet we all have done the "reroll" for optimal stats in dungeon crawlers etc :D guess i just took it a bit to far, and burned out on it.
I am now playing another restart where i just took the first system that looked promising, and see how that goes.

I do enjoy the game, and not sure why i haven't found it before now. Must be me burning out on eve online, and giving the genre a break (extended one).
I think Alex took a lot of inspiration from eve online, which i am sure he played extensively, at least on sisy owning FFA's ;)

Like games before it, ill exhaust this one, and then take a break.. revisit on updates etc., like most of us do.

Maybe others who are new to the game, can profit from this thread, and get past the hump of the perfect system without restarting 100+ times like me :)

ChristophHRO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2022, 11:44:04 AM »

cycle 207 and my first colony is on its way! yay..

Took the exploration route this time, and first system was at the far edge of the map, and lucky for me had 2 food planets + utility planets. There is no gate and only 2 stable locations, but i am going ahead with it.. see how well it develope, if for nothing else the experience. Being at the far edge of the map i am sure will be an issue further along, but we'll see how it goes.

screens of map, system and colony.
https://imgur.com/a/zDdBKam

The 2 small planets around the gas one, are both food ones (-1) but low hazards 75% and 100%. So in either way, if i leave them to just produce food, they should pay for themselves rather fast.

..too infinity and beyond!

Already 7k income without industry! This looks very good and it could be more away from the core worlds! Especially the two low hazards worlds at one place is something i feel very comfortable with. One of the barren ones looks also like extreme heat. Take over the whole system and report back how it goes.

I keep hearing this "saving on base price" all the time, and that's just not how it works. The "real" cost of a unit of supplies is around 300, because you can consistently and quickly sell it for that much. Even if you got your supplies "for 50 a piece", or "for free" and spend them on a colony, you still lose 300 credits for each because you could have sold them instead for that price.

The price is how much you can sell it for, not for how much you bought it.

If i play for 10 cycles the passive income my investment made would be like 1000 credits for each so if i would sell it for 300 credits i would still lose 700 credits.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:46:22 AM by ChristophHRO »

ChristophHRO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2022, 11:51:47 AM »

• faction commission + colonize nicest things in their space: worth sorting planets by class early and seeing who's got spare Class Vs

edit: does anyone actually drop colonies + tech mines on every good ruin they find, as the game kind of suggests you do?

Nice, did not knew that a faction commission stops them from bombing you into space if you put a colony on a claimed system!

Never build tech mines, it is the most worthless industry ever, i dont need the extra 20 fuel each month ... till i installed the Superweapons mod and slightly better tech mining. Now i tech mine everything i see and even look for ruins to put a colony on it just for tech mining. Another big factor is that i play with Starcopalypse(?) also, so no blueprint packs.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2022, 12:18:58 PM »

I always do the techmining, but that is because I can't stand not exploiting available resources.

The factory must grow.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

db48x

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2022, 02:21:12 PM »

The reason to build tech mining isn’t for the fuel and supplies you get but for the chance of getting a pristine nanoforge, or a synchotron core, or a fullerene spool, etc. Find planets with vast ruins, colonize them, build tech mining, and then abandon them a year later when the ruins are mostly tapped.

ihugyourmom

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2022, 05:26:38 PM »

Hmm this is so odd.. i havent used AI cores and limited my industry to farming and mining. And still the ludic path and hegemony, decided to screw me over.

I am "welcoming" with hegemony on top of that.. wtf is going on here? Is free port really the culprit?

screen of my crippled colony (they hit both in system)
https://imgur.com/a/rurs31g

edit:
Items were just installed, so wasnt there prior to the "raid".
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 06:13:05 PM by ihugyourmom »

Nimiety

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2022, 06:25:40 PM »

yeah that's free port, don't use that button unless you're exporting drugs and can defend it

ihugyourmom

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2022, 06:52:51 PM »

yeah that's free port, don't use that button unless you're exporting drugs and can defend it

feck me :( set me back a lot.. now i am chasing bounties just to pay the bills..

msoltyspl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2022, 07:19:30 PM »

feck me :( set me back a lot.. now i am chasing bounties just to pay the bills..

For the record, smuggling a few larger rounds with illegal stuff around core worlds (and some raiding for a good measure) will probably be much more efficient.

Nimiety

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2022, 08:48:11 PM »

Ran a quick test game to check that I wasn't misremembering and you can just settle that beholder station gas giant and yeah, you can.

The game warns you that the pathers will saturation bomb you for settling there, but they never do. Cycle 207 now, waystation/military base/orbital works (stole the corrupted nanoforge from asher), costs 70,000 a month with hazard pay.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 09:00:05 PM by Nimiety »

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2022, 09:21:55 PM »

I've done colony playthroughs before and honestly they're not what they're cracked up to be. Lots of waiting and babysitting. I prefer taking a commission and acting as a soldier for one of the factions.

But if I was going to start my own empire here's what I'd do, scout for an individual system with the following:

-A habitable world with farming and organics (try to avoid deposits of rare ore/volatiles)
-A world with no atmosphere and heat/extreme heat, ore and rare ore
-A gas giant with volatiles
-A gate

That will give you all the raw materials you need to produce every commodity. Why avoid rare ore/volatiles on the habitable world? So you can equip your farms with soil nanites.
Why a world with no atmosphere and heat/extreme heat? So you can build refining, fuel production and your military HQ there and fit them with a catalytic core, synchrotron core and cryoarithmetic engine, respectively. Catalytic core/synchrotron core require no atmosphere and cryoarithmetic engine gives a 25% bonus to fleet size on hot worlds and 100% bonus on extremely hot worlds.
And remember, do not build your heavy industry on the habitable world! It will cause pollution and increase the hazard rating. Build it on the barren world and equip it with a corrupted or pristine nanoforge. Not only will that increase economic output, it will increase the quality of military patrols spawned at that planet.

The reason for the gate is pretty obvious, it will grant you easy access to the colony. You won't have to make a long journey back and forth across the map whenever you want to take a break from babysitting duty. Since all of your holdings are confined to a single system you'll not only have easy access to all of it but you'll have all of it protected by a single military HQ, bolstered by the cryoarithmetic engine and corrupted/pristine nanoforge.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2022, 01:09:29 AM »

Free port is amazing. Don't use "use stockpiles during shortages" though.

ihugyourmom

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2022, 01:13:57 AM »

Free port is amazing. Don't use "use stockpiles during shortages" though.

Can you elaborate on that please? Free Port seems to allow pathers into your base, which is never good. Not sure why "use stock.." is a bad idea?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4