Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: The Pilgrim's Path  (Read 13817 times)

Neldonax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: The Pilgrim's Path
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2022, 11:03:48 AM »

[...] The church gives me eastern orthodox vibes, bending rules, reading through the lines, and the general dislike for technology with them trying to have everything as simple as possible. [...]

If the church gives you eastern orthodox vibes, then you should be totally happy that the image looks as it does tbh.

Russia was historically a west LARPer
You should look into greek, croatian, macedonian and turkish churches.
Russia is also cold as *** so their mentality isn't the same as the rest of the eastern world, and if gilead is supposed to be this relative paradise then their architecture should look more mediteranean
Kubanka je zgodna

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2022, 11:04:34 AM »

Yeah I don't know of a religion that doesn't want big grand buildings for prayer other then those that cannot afford to build them. Definitely not just a western thing.

The Hagia Sophia, Dome of the Rock, and Saint Basil's Cathedral to name a few.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Neldonax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2022, 11:05:33 AM »

Yeah I don't know of a religion that doesn't want big grand buildings for prayer other then those that cannot afford to build them. Definitely not just a western thing.

The Hagia Sophia, Dome of the Rock, and Saint Basil's Cathedral to name a few.
Yeah but those look way more humble than anything western, because that's the whole point.
They also lack huge spires shooting into the sky, haigha sophia only has spires cause it was a mosque for a long while
Humble yet grandious
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 11:08:23 AM by Neldonax »
Kubanka je zgodna

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2022, 11:08:52 AM »

Bit of a contradiction there to say that these massive monuments are humble.

I mean a church next to my local workplace is small and humble without embellishments but that's because it's supposed to service a village.

A Gothic cathedral is far less grand then the Hagia Sophia or Dome of the Rock personally.

Perhaps I am simply having difficulty distinguishing what you mean?

Neldonax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2022, 11:14:46 AM »

Bit of a contradiction there to say that these massive monuments are humble.

I mean a church next to my local workplace is small and humble without embellishments but that's because it's supposed to service a village.

A Gothic cathedral is far less grand then the Hagia Sophia or Dome of the Rock personally.

Perhaps I am simply having difficulty distinguishing what you mean?
On my phone so can't post images, but googlenplaces like šibenik, split, zadar, rovinj, dubrovnik and their old city centers and cathedrals, the haiga sophia is also a good example. Just look at it, you'll get what i mean. They're large structures, large domes, but that's it, no big gothic spires or butresses or windows, imo it's more sacred than any gothic church because it's supposed to lack "human" elements
Kubanka je zgodna

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2022, 11:20:57 AM »

What is this wacky timeline when I'm hearing about my (mostly) Dalmatian cities in a game forum that's talking about a blog post which gives more lore to the religious fanatics of said game. It would be hilarious if one of the arts in the game reminded me of a building I see almost every day...
Please don't take me too seriously.

Neldonax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2022, 11:23:24 AM »

What is this wacky timeline when I'm hearing about my (mostly) Dalmatian cities in a game forum that's talking about a blog post which gives more lore to the religious fanatics of said game. It would be hilarious if one of the arts in the game reminded me of a building I see almost every day...
Odakle si
Kubanka je zgodna

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2022, 11:33:28 AM »

From what I can see you have a real penchant for the Pre-Romanesque and Romanesque architecture, with one of the examples presented being described as being Baroque (Church of St. Euphemia, Rovinj) which is hilarious as that style is FAR from being humble with all the embroidery and paintings.

Gothic architecture is just the evolution of this style of this construction anyway built in places that didn't see the development of Romanesque architecture as they weren't the core parts of the Roman Empire. Not that I am saying we can't or shouldn't have it mind, but one of the reasons we even had Romanesque architecture wasn't because it was supposed to be humble, but more because people didn't know how to build stuff any taller then it was.

It's just the change of style over time by the people who lived and in and took part in the faith and wanted to emulate the styles used by the former Roman Empire.

By extension to Starsector, would they be building Domainesque architecture? Who knows really. Gothic or Romanesque are not too removed from one another really, just styles of building a really big building as it took people at the time, not greater or lesser.

Neldonax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2022, 11:36:01 AM »

From what I can see you have a real penchant for the Pre-Romanesque and Romanesque architecture, with one of the examples presented being described as being Baroque (Church of St. Euphemia, Rovinj) which is hilarious as that style is FAR from being humble with all the embroidery and paintings.

Gothic architecture is just the evolution of this style of this construction anyway built in places that didn't see the development of Romanesque architecture as they weren't the core parts of the Roman Empire. Not that I am saying we can't or shouldn't have it mind, but one of the reasons we even had Romanesque architecture wasn't because it was supposed to be humble, but more because people didn't know how to build stuff any taller then it was.

It's just the change of style over time by the people who lived and in and took part in the faith and wanted to emulate the styles used by the former Roman Empire.

By extension to Starsector, would they be building Domainesque architecture? Who knows really. Gothic or Romanesque are not too removed from one another really, just styles of building a really big building as it took people at the time, not greater or lesser.
I was reffering to the church of saint donat
You get my point bro, it's simpler, a direct contrast to domainesque architecture, which is tall metal spires and huge megacities.
It just makes sense imo for a faction meant to be contra to the morals of the domain, a throwback to a simpler time. It would also just be so cool to have that
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 11:37:52 AM by Neldonax »
Kubanka je zgodna

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2022, 11:41:49 AM »

Church of Saint Donat isn't what I would describe as humble but more, recycled.

But yeah anything and everything could appear to be more humble then a cyberpunk dystopian Domain planetwide city. Which could include every modern day city on earth in it.

So I don't really see what the difference is between the Church in Starsector using the old Domain cities and not expanding them, and Croatia recycling old Roman temples and forums into new churches.

Like that isn't humble, it's more just cheap.

Neldonax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2022, 11:48:15 AM »

Church of Saint Donat isn't what I would describe as humble but more, recycled.

But yeah anything and everything could appear to be more humble then a cyberpunk dystopian Domain planetwide city. Which could include every modern day city on earth in it.

So I don't really see what the difference is between the Church in Starsector using the old Domain cities and not expanding them, and Croatia recycling old Roman temples and forums into new churches.

Like that isn't humble, it's more just cheap.
Ok so there is no need to be insulting.
You get what i mean, i'll assume you've never been to any of those places, but it's this awesome mix of roman/medieval architecture and modern wires, pipes, antenna and stuff on top. Sure it sjouldn't look as old, but it should look inspired by it, cause imo those places are just so cool and it's a shame the only famous things shot there are game of thrones and like 2 minutes of one of the new star wars movies. Maybe i'm project nationalism here, but it's cool and underappreciated architecture that deserves a real spotlight.
Imo starsector hss the problem of just being kinda generic, the church has the most potential to not he generic and the lord of the rings stuff just bothers me. It's honestly a unique faction in general, in any scifi fiction, it should parade that instead of snuffing it. I just like the whole second coming of christ vibes
Kubanka je zgodna

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2022, 11:49:08 AM »

Why would the planets and factions of a fictional space society parallel historical earth?

Neldonax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2022, 11:52:19 AM »

Why would the planets and factions of a fictional space society parallel historical earth?
Because it's cool as ***
Also the world of starsector just gives off huge fall of rome vibes, even the first lore blog says that
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 11:56:14 AM by Neldonax »
Kubanka je zgodna

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2022, 11:58:42 AM »

Ok so there is no need to be insulting.
You get what i mean, i'll assume you've never been to any of those places, but it's this awesome mix of roman/medieval architecture and modern wires, pipes, antenna and stuff on top. Sure it sjouldn't look as old, but it should look inspired by it, cause imo those places are just so cool and it's a shame the only famous things shot there are game of thrones and like 2 minutes of one of the new star wars movies. Maybe i'm project nationalism here, but it's cool and underappreciated architecture that deserves a real spotlight.
Imo starsector hss the problem of just being kinda generic, the church has the most potential to not he generic and the lord of the rings stuff just bothers me. It's honestly a unique faction in general, in any scifi fiction, it should parade that instead of snuffing it. I just like the whole second coming of christ vibes

I apologise if I came off that way, it was not my intent.

Sozzer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2022, 12:38:33 PM »

If you want my honest opinion, the new church lore feels like it was written by a westerner, someone who doesn't live in a society that actually holds the Church and religion very highly, here the idea of a church shooting up to the sky was almost heresy until just 200 years ago

have you considered that different cultures and societies may show their high regard for the church in different ways
"only x region REALLY values the church, everywhere else has always been degenerate sinners" is the most milquetoast form of religious elitism and applying it to videogame architecture because you headcanon them as Chad Ultra Orthodox Traditionalists(tm) is pretty funny, if not exactly productive
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8