Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AI upscaled ships, for whoever wants  (Read 1278 times)

antsh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
AI upscaled ships, for whoever wants
« on: July 09, 2022, 03:01:51 PM »

Been using this myself for a few weeks and thought I'd share. I don't exactly know what I'm doing, so consider it untested and please backup /graphics/ships/. I prefer the extra detail when on the refit screen and the size increase seems small enough to have not impacted my performance much. I didn't touch the glowmaps (they bugged out), so there may be problems there, with the differences in resolutions.

Edit:
Also, these were generated by whichever algorithm's BigJPG uses. https://bigjpg.com/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 07:18:15 PM by antsh »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
Re: AI upscaled ships, for whoever wants
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 03:18:31 PM »

These look a lot better than I'm used to from upsizes. Upscaling algorithms have become a little scary.

I tried this out a few years ago (since I'm doing a lot with vector art and resizing is just a matter of picking an export setting) and the consensus at the time was that you can probably get away with this for vanilla and maybe a couple of mods, but it will eat your VRAM like no tomorrow with enough mods enabled.

Still I think it's a much cooler use of that VRAM than making a capital ship so big it crashes the game, though.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 04:38:31 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

antsh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 03:51:43 PM »

These look a lot better than I'm used to from upsizes. Upscaling algorithms have become a little scary.

I tried this out a few years ago (since I'm doing a lot with vector art and resizing is just a matter of picking an export setting) and the consensus at thew time was that you can probably get away with this for vanilla and maybe a couple of mods, but it will eat your VRAM like no tomorrow with enough mods enabled.

Still I think it's a much cooler use of that VRAM than making a capital ship so big it crashes the game, though.

That makes sense about non-vanilla content. I'm still fairly inexperienced with the game, despite owning it for almost a decade, so I haven't touched any content-adding mods yet.

Also, I love your custom flags! Great work.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 03:54:04 PM by antsh »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 05:03:23 PM »

Oh wow, those are really good. Sometimes there are little bits (sometimes in the engine piping) where the algorithm looks like it got slightly confused and it resembles some of the shading/weird stuff from machine learning image generation, but for the most part these are impressive!

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 04:21:48 AM »

Impressive for sure, but not something I'd actually want to inflate my memory usage for.

At least it's not quite as egregious as this:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18134.0

antsh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 05:09:29 AM »

Impressive for sure, but not something I'd actually want to inflate my memory usage for.

At least it's not quite as egregious as this:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18134.0

Totally makes sense. I don't run many mods right now, so the increase has no impact for me.

For anyone interested, the total size went from 15.8MB to 54.5MB, an almost 3.5x increase, so there definitely could be an impact depending on the system. Some other tools actually made it even higher, but I settled on BigJPG because the API is simple and the increase was minimal, relatively.

Again, I don't really know what I'm doing and this is just me playing around with upscaling while figuring out photo restoration.