Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 76

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.6  (Read 310372 times)

Air Fryer Owner

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.20.2
« Reply #435 on: September 16, 2022, 08:06:41 AM »

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

Anyway, that's the worse part of the issue I suppose.
Its really inconsistent on how to occurs.

Initially, it happened when the toggle for replaceDamageModel was turned to false. I thought that what triggered it in the first place.

Engaging another low tech station (which caused like the first instance of this happening) didn't cause the same fault as before. Heck, even turned on all the toggles back to 'default' true and the fault still didnt occur.

Lastly, I hate to report this but the chat spam seems to still be around for me.  :'(

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2022, 09:51:02 AM »

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

Initially, it happened when the toggle for replaceDamageModel was turned to false. I thought that what triggered it in the first place.

Engaging another low tech station (which caused like the first instance of this happening) didn't cause the same fault as before. Heck, even turned on all the toggles back to 'default' true and the fault still didnt occur.

Has this bug ever happened with the damage model turned on?

Lastly, I hate to report this but the chat spam seems to still be around for me.  :'(

Aw man.  What are the steps to reproduce this resilient bug?

Slomes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.20.1
« Reply #437 on: September 16, 2022, 10:43:23 AM »

The new version seems to bug out my combat messages.
While in combat the "ship xyz combat readiness low: retreating" type of chatter will just SPAM so hard it tanks my fps and fills up half the screen with the repeated text line blurring together into a wall.

Hi,

Just made an account to report the same issue as Slomes.
Could live with it, I suppose, but unsure how impactful it'll be if multiple ships start spamming the same chatter message. Betting it'll eventually kill the session if left alone long enough.

Hotfix 1.20.2 is out! Fixed endlessly-displaying retreat messages.

That seems to have fixed it for me!
I will keep an eye out if it pops up again, thank you.
edit: combat report also shows proper numbers on hull and armor damage! :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 12:35:54 PM by Slomes »

Air Fryer Owner

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 16, 2022, 12:17:18 PM »

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

Has this bug ever happened with the damage model turned on?

Aw man.  What are the steps to reproduce this resilient bug?

In regards to the shield and flux issue, the fault rarely occurs which makes it difficult to say what caused it.

The chatter spam, though, is still around for me.
Ran another fresh install of the mod and found that ally ships would spam the log with their chatter. In a confirmed case, A single allied Kite calling out '10% combat readiness, retreating!'

Hm...do ships make call out like these whenever they get hit and they find that they're below a CR or Hull percentage to make the chatter?
Would hitting a ship running under the CR/Hull percentage with a rapid firing gun (EG: light machine gun) cause the AI to trigger the callout for every projectile hit?
Conversely, would this also apply whenever the ship fires their weapon under the same CR/Hull circumstances?

Edit: I think I managed to fix the spam issue by toggling off the CR effected by damage feature. I can live with this :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 04:40:46 PM by Air Fryer Owner »

Slomes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 16, 2022, 04:23:30 PM »

Ok so I'm having trouble with the flux shield stuff too.
Just had my 300DP fleet engage a lowtech station and I couldnt finish the last module cause the shield just didnt take any damage and wouldn't go down.

Another problem i have with stations is my ships dont respect distance, they basically want to fly right on top of it. They always end up swarming in bumping distance around it, and my phase ships phase and go on top of it until they are about to run out of flux, which is when they back off to the edge, dephase, and get ramming damage...
The only thing that somewhat helps is the "avoid" command.
My Ziggurath kept trying to get close, then probably cause of the avoid command tried back off again after certain distance, and just kept doing it and doing it. inbetween it sometimes fires, but mostly it just keeps trying to mount that station lol

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 16, 2022, 05:34:00 PM »

In regards to the shield and flux issue, the fault rarely occurs which makes it difficult to say what caused it.

I'm glad that it hasn't happened often for you.

The chatter spam, though, is still around for me.
Ran another fresh install of the mod and found that ally ships would spam the log with their chatter. In a confirmed case, A single allied Kite calling out '10% combat readiness, retreating!'

Hm...do ships make call out like these whenever they get hit and they find that they're below a CR or Hull percentage to make the chatter?
Would hitting a ship running under the CR/Hull percentage with a rapid firing gun (EG: light machine gun) cause the AI to trigger the callout for every projectile hit?
Conversely, would this also apply whenever the ship fires their weapon under the same CR/Hull circumstances?

Ok, does this happen every battle, or just in some, and does every ship spam, or do just some spam?  It checks every ship every frame, orders that ship to retreat if it must retreat and is not already retreating, and reports the retreat in the chat if the ship is on the player's side.

Edit: I think I managed to fix the spam issue by toggling off the CR effected by damage feature. I can live with this :)

Yes, that would fix the problem, but of course there's a reason the ship retreats when low CR...  :P

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 16, 2022, 06:18:50 PM »

Just had my 300DP fleet engage a lowtech station and I couldnt finish the last module cause the shield just didnt take any damage and wouldn't go down.

Uh-oh.  Is this common for you, or is it the first time?

Another problem i have with stations is my ships dont respect distance, they basically want to fly right on top of it. They always end up swarming in bumping distance around it, and my phase ships phase and go on top of it until they are about to run out of flux, which is when they back off to the edge, dephase, and get ramming damage...
My Ziggurath kept trying to get close, then probably cause of the avoid command tried back off again after certain distance, and just kept doing it and doing it. inbetween it sometimes fires, but mostly it just keeps trying to mount that station lol

Yeah, ships won't do what they should unless you tell them to in Realistic Combat.  I wish I knew how to fix this problem.  A Defend or Hold order a safe distance from the station might help until I, probably a while hence, could find out.

Slomes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 16, 2022, 06:48:56 PM »

Uh-oh.  Is this common for you, or is it the first time?

Yeah, ships won't do what they should unless you tell them to in Realistic Combat.  I wish I knew how to fix this problem.  A Defend or Hold order a safe distance from the station might help until I, probably a while hence, could find out.

Not sure how common, definitely saw it on some of my own ships where they had 0 flux with shields up taking shots which were not beams. I think it doesnt realize properly what does hardflux. And it stays at 0 if flux dissipation is higher than the damage received+shield upkeep? Just my suspicion.

I already keep a strict leash on the ships with Defend orders, and it works great in fleet combat since they do what I tell them to, but with stations it just doesn't seem to work.
Asking around, ships don't understand the station part thats invincible is "something" in vanilla too, apparently? I tried station fight in vanilla earlier too, and the Ziggi didnt try to mount the station there tho, so something is up. I feel like unless ordered to back off, the ships kind of go into same combat range as they would in vanilla.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 16, 2022, 08:09:59 PM »

Not sure how common, definitely saw it on some of my own ships where they had 0 flux with shields up taking shots which were not beams. I think it doesnt realize properly what does hardflux. And it stays at 0 if flux dissipation is higher than the damage received+shield upkeep? Just my suspicion.

Guess I'll just force hard flux on projectiles. :/

I already keep a strict leash on the ships with Defend orders, and it works great in fleet combat since they do what I tell them to, but with stations it just doesn't seem to work.

Glad you already use Defend orders to organize your fleet. I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't" work" but might understand better if you elaborated.

Asking around, ships don't understand the station part thats invincible is "something" in vanilla too, apparently? I tried station fight in vanilla earlier too, and the Ziggi didnt try to mount the station there tho, so something is up. I feel like unless ordered to back off, the ships kind of go into same combat range as they would in vanilla.

That's definitely odd.  I wonder if Alex hardcoded anything.  How often does this happen?

Slomes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 16, 2022, 11:09:58 PM »

Guess I'll just force hard flux on projectiles. :/

Glad you already use Defend orders to organize your fleet. I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't" work" but might understand better if you elaborated.

That's definitely odd.  I wonder if Alex hardcoded anything.  How often does this happen?

I feel like that could backfire, but I'm happy to test how it would go.

"doesn't work" as in usually if I say "defend", they will stick close to that spot most time. When there is a station, they will be rabid and try to get close to it anyways, but it seems there is a max range they will go which is like 2-4 large grid, not sure, but basically so far that it is unreasonable and not "defend"-like at all.
If I give them defend order and also give a "avoid" order on the station, they will keep about vanilla engagement range but tiptoe on the edge, which leads to them more than not flying up, turning around, circling back too.
There is also I think an issue with the hard forward thrust since there is no breaks and I have my carrier often just yeet into enemy fleet even though I assigned them cautious and ordered a "defend" at the far back. I don't know, AI is just derpy sometimes.

The Station stuff always happens. They all want to get into the station center. Regular ships cant tho, so they just go realllllly close to the station.
The Phase ships can bypass the limitation, so they will phase and get on top of it. Silly AI.
More notable on Battlestations than regulars so far though.
And in the testrun in vanilla the Phase ship didnt try to go right on top of it, but they all swarmed it too.
I don't manually pilot I let all ships AI, so it is different for me than for other players, who would just manually defeat the station while their fleets do whatever.

Hope that helps?
(Also Missile looping is gone and everything works well on that front)

tuan16

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 17, 2022, 03:35:50 AM »

For some reason, when I want shoot my weapons manually, it doesn't shoot and my range becomes very limited for some reason too. I really liked the realistic model damage part, but other than that I don't like long ranges and it's too hard to adjust them correctly. Sorry for my honesty

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 17, 2022, 08:12:47 AM »

I feel like that could backfire, but I'm happy to test how it would go.

"doesn't work" as in usually if I say "defend", they will stick close to that spot most time. When there is a station, they will be rabid and try to get close to it anyways, but it seems there is a max range they will go which is like 2-4 large grid, not sure, but basically so far that it is unreasonable and not "defend"-like at all.
If I give them defend order and also give a "avoid" order on the station, they will keep about vanilla engagement range but tiptoe on the edge, which leads to them more than not flying up, turning around, circling back too.
There is also I think an issue with the hard forward thrust since there is no breaks and I have my carrier often just yeet into enemy fleet even though I assigned them cautious and ordered a "defend" at the far back. I don't know, AI is just derpy sometimes.

The Station stuff always happens. They all want to get into the station center. Regular ships cant tho, so they just go realllllly close to the station.
The Phase ships can bypass the limitation, so they will phase and get on top of it. Silly AI.
More notable on Battlestations than regulars so far though.
And in the testrun in vanilla the Phase ship didnt try to go right on top of it, but they all swarmed it too.
I don't manually pilot I let all ships AI, so it is different for me than for other players, who would just manually defeat the station while their fleets do whatever.

Hope that helps?

Wow, that's terrible.  I've tested and confirmed it.  I'll have to ask Alex.

(Also Missile looping is gone and everything works well on that front)

Wooooo!  Glad it works for you.

For some reason, when I want shoot my weapons manually, it doesn't shoot and my range becomes very limited for some reason too. I really liked the realistic model damage part, but other than that I don't like long ranges and it's too hard to adjust them correctly. Sorry for my honesty

Your weapons haven't fired because Three Dimensional Targeting requires a target, which you have not selected, for them because Three Dimensional Targeting presumes that ships are not exactly on one plane but instead at different heights, causing shots not aimed at any particular target to miss.  I have never heard of range becoming very limited, though, so please tell me more because I did not intend that effect and wonder if it causes the station-ramming problem mentioned above.

tinytrinket100

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 17, 2022, 10:05:41 AM »

Every time that I start a battle after 2 seconds I encounter a fatal null error

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at plugins.EveryFrameCombatPlugin.adjustAI(EveryFrameCombatPlugin.java:29)
    at plugins.EveryFrameCombatPlugin.advance(EveryFrameCombatPlugin.java:53)
    at com.fs.starfarer.title.Object.L$Oo.o00000(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.combat.A.new.o00000(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Disabling realistic combat seemed to stop it so I assumed it was incompatible with something.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 17, 2022, 10:10:23 AM »

Every time that I start a battle after 2 seconds I encounter a fatal null error

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at plugins.EveryFrameCombatPlugin.adjustAI(EveryFrameCombatPlugin.java:29)
    at plugins.EveryFrameCombatPlugin.advance(EveryFrameCombatPlugin.java:53)
    at com.fs.starfarer.title.Object.L$Oo.o00000(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.combat.A.new.o00000(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Disabling realistic combat seemed to stop it so I assumed it was incompatible with something.

I've never had this error but added another null check just in case.  I hope it helps.

tuan16

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 17, 2022, 09:54:43 PM »

Okay, let me rephrase. How can i set the range of all beams to the originalRange, without disabling WeaponSpecs entirely?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 76