Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 74

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.4  (Read 283756 times)

NieKo2k10

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.16.0
« Reply #375 on: August 26, 2022, 03:57:17 AM »

65655 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at settings.DamageModelSettings.getDamageTypeDamageFactor(DamageModelSettings.java:54)
   at calculation.Damage.getPotentialDamage(Damage.java:52)
   at calculation.Damage.getDamage(Damage.java:68)
   at listeners.DamageTakenModifier.modifyDamageTaken(DamageTakenModifier.java:237)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:67)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:59)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.Ship.applyDamage(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.o0OO.A.O0OO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.o0OO.A.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
D:
after updating to the newest version of your mod, shortly after starting a combat simulation
A minor nitpick, but would it be possible to provide separate download for the macosx one? I'm used to mods only requiring one extract into the mods folder for them to work. having to copy paste the regular version outside and overwrite the realistic combat folder is kind of a pain
Also keep up the good work.

Same Test, little bit different error, no other Mods newest version.

Code
100488 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
at settings.DamageModelSettings.getDamageTypeDamageFactor(DamageModelSettings.java:54)
at listeners.DamageTakenModifier.modifyDamageTaken(DamageTakenModifier.java:237)
at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:67)
at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:59)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.E.A.A.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.E.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.E.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.16.0
« Reply #376 on: August 26, 2022, 06:22:48 AM »

65655 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.o0OO.A.O0OO.o00000(Unknown Source)
D:
after updating to the newest version of your mod, shortly after starting a combat simulation
A minor nitpick, but would it be possible to provide separate download for the macosx one? I'm used to mods only requiring one extract into the mods folder for them to work. having to copy paste the regular version outside and overwrite the realistic combat folder is kind of a pain
Also keep up the good work.

Same Test, little bit different error, no other Mods newest version.

Code
100488 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.E.A.A.o00000(Unknown Source)

Thank you for the continued work on this mod Liral!

I will test the new patch and hopefully we ll find out what causes this crash. Cause it must be this mod because i played with "replaceDamageModel":false, for a few hours now and had 0 crashes. So it must be that option causing issues.

Also, if you would like some faster and possibly more detailed feedback etc. you could join the unofficial discord cause forum posting is much slower (at least in my opinion).

Patched!  Turns out I had dropped the energy factors when refactoring the DamageModel.json.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 06:29:22 AM by Liral »

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.16.1
« Reply #377 on: August 26, 2022, 06:24:23 AM »

Hotfix 1.16.1 is out! I put back a couple of factors I had accidentally dropped and which were causing NullPointerException.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 06:29:57 AM by Liral »

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.15.0
« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2022, 06:25:37 AM »

Really? I did read the manual, but the high explosive hits are actually a LOT softer than I expected. My personal preference was assault chainguns but they were just not as effective as autocannons hitting armor.

Interesting, perhaps I should increase the damage factor for high explosive hits.

I was thinking the other way around - fighters only having the calc's.

Why?  The damage calculation depends on bounds, and many fighters have poor bounds; I have already been considering removing or modifying the calculation for fighters accordingly.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 06:31:00 AM by Liral »

ntoxeg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2022, 10:01:57 AM »

Got a crash on confirming deployment in combat.

Code
604340 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.OoOO.T.isVisible(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.OoOO.T.isVisible(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.E.C.G.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.E.C.oooO.00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.E.C.Object.advanceImpl(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Q.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.v.advanceImpl(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Q.advance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

GirlRat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 26, 2022, 11:17:15 AM »

Still crashes on me even on the patched version. Same error. It seems to crash when an autocanon hits a target

edit: works like a charm now :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 10:50:16 AM by GirlRat »

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 26, 2022, 06:46:03 PM »

Hotfix 1.16.2 is out! I fixed crashes by adding lines of code to load the settings files whereinto I had moved the settings that had been in the main settings file.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.17.0
« Reply #382 on: August 27, 2022, 04:05:05 PM »

Patch 1.17.0 is out! Fixed the radar, which now zooms in and out as it should, with its settings configurable in Radar.json

JasonH

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 28, 2022, 07:44:43 AM »

"You can adjust all the weapon range bonuses in WeaponSpecs.json"

In here the only thing I see adjustable is that of the range on launchers (Missile / Torp)?

I too am looking to half the range of all the weapons.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 28, 2022, 12:35:33 PM »

"You can adjust all the weapon range bonuses in WeaponSpecs.json"

In here the only thing I see adjustable is that of the range on launchers (Missile / Torp)?

I too am looking to half the range of all the weapons.

I should mention that the ranges and muzzle velocities of projectile weapons are equal.

ntoxeg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 28, 2022, 01:10:59 PM »

Just an add on, can you or did you start working on tooltips of shield, armor and weapon types? Cuz clearly this mod changes them completely already. It is very misleading to keep seeing things like "200% to armor, 50% to shield, 25% to hull" stuff anymore.

Penetration is what kinetic does, but it gets deflected by angled armor (Or u take it purely as thicker effective armor whatever). High explosive just does the damage in a different way, maybe contact fuze or proximity fuze or else, so it should less likely bounce off (At least given the warhead should be optimized this way, AND for game balancing). Also for balancing, if you still leave that 50% load of high explosives to shield, bad idea! It almost makes it THE WORST option at all in almost any cases. Cuz u can deal prob same damage just with large kinetic bolt right? AND it's 200% good to shield AS WELL! Huh, then blind autocannon! Why not? Fast and through and bashes shields! The only single HE thing I used at all is just hellbore, for the 1050 bolt damage. And I don't even care if it's high explosive. If u give me another kinetic 1050 damage I'm more than happy to chuck hellbore into bin lol.

Definetly lots of balancing to do, but most importantly, I think you're lacking a systematic idea of the roles (or functions) design of each weapon in the first place. Maybe list these out first, like why would anyone use "a weapon" like autocannon or MG? And why would anyone not use that weapon? The specifications.

For example if u ask me why would I use autocannon, to anti shield, then u should make them bounce off armor, way easier. Only very straight hits go through.
MG for anti-air, then it should have less penalty with angle.
Or it could actually be the other way to be more real, u want me to use autocannon for AA and MG for shield? Fine. Then single hard hit on shields should be way softer. MG does 5,5,5,5,5 then its effectively 25 on shield, but a single 25 from ac would only hit as 17 or 18, and so on. But then vulcans fire really fast, so they should be really good to shield? Maybe, maybe not. Really suggest designing this first maybe as a roadmap and stick to it.

But now, AC got some penetration, pretty dead accurate, very good against shields, self sufficient ammo, and with vanilla PD hullmods I just spam this thing on all ships. MG or anthing else actually is completely useless in any aspect.

I really love the idea of introducing the real world scale and armor mechanisms, but don't want to lose it in balancing. The game provided you a good excuse, shields. It does't really exists, so even if a weapon is just in fact a really s**t idea in real life, u can still make it good in your balance system right?

Currently shield logic follows armor logic — higher damage value will be more efficient. It could be argued that maybe doing the opposite would be more interesting, that’s up for debate.

I wouldn’t make HE fine against shields because it would make energy weapons the weakest link — either give energy weapons some specialization (like being actually good against shields) or keep it as is. My only gripe is that kinetic damage seems overall as the best, maybe lowering the damage it deals to hulls wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I also noticed that fragmentation weapons can be really strong — especially mod ones like VIC’s Laidlaw Accelerator, in contrast to vanilla where shooting it at a ship with 1900 armor value wouldn’t do much (almost nothing in fact). With RC it does considerable damage (it’s 2200 frag damage btw). Maybe armor penetration should be made even worse for frag damage (or change the formula even to favor higher armor values).

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.17.1
« Reply #386 on: August 28, 2022, 01:51:21 PM »

Hotfix 1.17.1 is out! Reduced the kinetic damage factor from 0.67 to 0.5, increased the fragmentation armor thickness factor to 8, and made the lead indicator thin for all ship sizes.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 01:57:42 PM by Liral »

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 29, 2022, 06:12:16 AM »

Bug(?) report: this mod once more defaults to 'totalConversion: true' again in its mod_info.json file; intended-as-designed, or creator's error?

Request: Is there a way to disable Realistic Combat's radar? I prefer Combat Radar's implementation, as the unreleased dev version works with 0.95.1a (at a glance, anyways) and is far more configurable.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 06:42:12 AM by TimeDiver »

Gameciel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 29, 2022, 06:37:40 AM »

Currently shield logic follows armor logic - higher damage value will be more efficient. It could be argued that maybe doing the opposite would be more interesting, that's up for debate.

I wouldn't make HE fine against shields because it would make energy weapons the weakest link - either give energy weapons some specialization (like being actually good against shields) or keep it as is. My only gripe is that kinetic damage seems overall as the best, maybe lowering the damage it deals to hulls wouldn't be a bad idea.

Quick fix is to reduce kinetic damage factor. And btw I do believe in flipping damage absorbing efficiency logic. It makes any bolt natually (regardless damage type) either good/bad against shield/armor.

And yep I forgot the energy weapon stuff and just made up my mind. This might sounds impractical cuz the logic jumps far:

Lasers. First thing in mind is wave-partical duality. So frequency matters. In game, it's weapon total range (not hit distance). Longer total range means it has lower frequency Fs, shorter means higher Fs.

So the model is: Given same DPS of two different lasers, one reaches 8000m the other 1000m. Then the 1000m ones shoot many small "bolts" and the 8000m shoot less but larger "bolts". Then you can have a curve of armor/shield absorbsion, then u know how to balance giving them different DPS values.
(Modify: Clarify this is just saying shield & armor absorbsion which shouldn't change the damage decay of the laser weapon itself over range.)

Then for energy bolts, accelerated plasma? They're very chemical active kinetic mass. In fact this thing might just have similar armor model as in vanilla game which obliterates armor plates and make an area of armor less effective with more hits. Balance with soft shield hits seems fine tho. Very unsure how to reflect this thing or if Liral would implement it, cuz it sound very complicated to me having two models at the same time. Or some maths needed to reflect this fact within one model. :(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 06:55:52 AM by Gameciel »

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 29, 2022, 09:28:33 AM »

I had thought of making HE effective at successfully damaging shields, but dealing low damage, while kinetics often bounced, but did bonus damage. Or, in other words, exact inverse of armor impact. And energy being in the middle, and fragmentation being powerful but easily deflected in both cases.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 74