Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 74

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.4  (Read 283644 times)

Anduin1357

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.14.1
« Reply #345 on: August 17, 2022, 03:15:50 PM »

Ok, so what's going on with Autopulse Laser? It has 30 charges but I can't actually shoot them - I have to wait 12 seconds before each shot, that's not how autopulse laser is supposed to work (also it's pointless that it has 30 charges, or any charges at all, recharge time is shorter than re-fire delay). Perhaps recharge - re-fire should be swapped?

Yeah, I've actually given up on the whole modified weapon stats thing because it randomly decided that my missile rack that once fired 12 missiles now only fires 5 at once, and non-multiple amounts of ammo reserves.

MakoMakoMan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 17, 2022, 07:40:51 PM »

Limiting the range of weapons flagged for fighters would defeat the purpose of Realistic Combat: projectile weapons on fighters should out-range ones of equal muzzle velocity on ships because fighters can jink ship weapon projectiles at ranges within which ships cannot jink fighter weapon projectiles, and fighters therefore would carry weapons with muzzle velocities equal to those of the weapons in the small mounts of the ships they attack.

That's why I'd like it as an option, I understand it's not realistic in the context, but gameplay/balance still has some importance! Mass fighters is absolutely steamrolling in early/mid game so far because of this.

Please tell me more about the point defense weapons out-ranging their non-point-defense counterparts, though.
It's not as dramatic anymore since yesterday's patch because now, cannons have more range, but since there's no distinction between PD and non-PD, they essentially have the same range as non-PD autocannon. For example, the Vulcan Cannon has a range of 4300, same as the Light Autocannon or the Light Assault Gun. Though that's only vanilla, some mod light PD weapons have ranges over 5500, but you can't exactly control those specifically.

Another variable I think should be added to distinguish autocannons from cannon is the size; I changed my setting so I'm not 100% sure, but while on small mounts it was fine, on medium mounts and large mounts some autocannon counted as normal cannons, and if after modifying the files so all autocannons were autocannons, some canons end up in that category (like the Railgun). Maybe having a different threshold for different mount sizes would fix that?

Another issue I see that mainly affects missiles is that some settings modify the amount of shots fired, max ammo, time to reload and reload amount, but missiles suffer most from this because some saturation missiles (like the Locust) end up barely shooting any missiles and have a significantly reduced ammo pool

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 18, 2022, 07:52:52 AM »

I just discovered this mod and did a few sim battles to test it out a little. I still don't have a grasp of exactly how things work. I just know that everything is a lot faster and even PD weapons like LMGs have ranges in excess of 4000, which is insane to me.

My main question at the moment is how certain skills and hullmods will be balanced in light of all these changes. For example, the elite Point Defense skill and Advanced Optics hullmod which give flat bonuses of 200 to PD weapons and beam weapons, respectively. Is that flat bonus still a mere 200? Are such skills and hullmods essentially worthless now? How about elite Ballistic Mastery which gives 33% to ballistic projectile speed, is that worthless now since the base projectile speed is so high?

Aside from that I'd like to see things slowed down a bit. The ships are moving a lot quicker, projectiles are insanely fast and it's difficult to see the finer details of how a battle is progressing.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

GirlRat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 18, 2022, 10:51:48 AM »

It's actually pretty pilotable too, once you get used to being zoomed out, using the targeting pip and realize that you need to carefully aim and time the HE yourself because of very slow reload. HE kinda took over the job of torpedoes. It's fun to erase a pirate Hound with just 1 volley of 2 heavy mortars. 
So far I like piloting a Manticore(P) with a hellbore and 2 kinetic 1 fragmentation in the small slots. Feels great to manually hellbore hit stuff from 6500 units away. Though there's still a lot of balance to be worked out. Hellbore reloads faster than heavy mortar, is that intended?
Probably ideally the AI needs a rework too, so it doesn't waste the slow reloading HE shot on shields. Or maybe it works fine, I haven't paid attention to that.
Hullmods too. Does the extra range stuff work when ballistics easily go over 4000? I haven't tested, but do expanded magazines help with PD machine guns now that they have limited ammo until reload.
Anyway good job with the shield stuff. Works much better. Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 10:58:24 AM by GirlRat »

Inari

• Ensign
  • Local foxgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 18, 2022, 10:57:49 AM »

Just wanted to say that I'm enjoying the mod so far, one thing I noticed is using the Console Commands to set "god" doesn't make my ships invulnerable interestingly.

Is there a reason why it doesn't work despite saying that godmode has been enabled? Perhaps the way how Realistic Combat handles the damage stuff?
Hey hey people, Sseth here-

Enez61

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 18, 2022, 01:50:18 PM »

My save game has 1.11.0 and works fine.

If I try to upgrade to 1.14.1, it crashes the game in combat screen. Any idea how to fix this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Enez61

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 21, 2022, 01:08:44 PM »

If I try to upgrade to 1.14.1, it crashes the game in combat screen. Any idea how to fix this?

if I can donwload the other versions of the mod maybe one of them would work. Are they availible?

RacoonBro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 23, 2022, 08:14:39 PM »

755974 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at listeners.DamageTakenModifier.modifyDamageTaken(DamageTakenModifier.java:231)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:67)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:59)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.Ship.applyDamage(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.o0OO.A.A.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.o0OO.A.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Im not sure but i think it could be related to this mod. This happened just randomly during a fight when i was shooting at an enemy ship.

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.15.0
« Reply #353 on: August 24, 2022, 07:16:44 AM »

Patch 1.15.0 is out!  I've removed the sharp autocannon-cannon distinction by increasing the damage thresholds below which a weapon is considered part of the WeaponCategory AUTOCANNON_BALLISTIC or AUTOCANNON_ENERGY and introducing two new WeaponCategory's for light projectile weapons: MACHINEGUN_BALLISTIC and MACHINEGUN_ENERGY.  Fixed a damage listener typo that has caused crashes.

ntoxeg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 24, 2022, 09:50:34 AM »

Interesting, so I’ve run the usual sim against that Pather Bonnethead and with 1.15.0 the balance shifts hard against those little dual auto cannons — now they behave more like vanilla versions, having significantly less DPS. Needless to say that ship is now way weaker. Cannons seem to be doing fine though (tested against Dominator heavy assault sim).

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 24, 2022, 11:09:06 AM »

Liral might want to actually detect and buff all PD weapons to increase their effective range against strike-craft, missiles, and highly manoeuvrable targets, with a smaller buff for all small mounts with good or better turn rate.

The new WeaponCategory's I added should cover that with slightly higher muzzle velocities for high-damage autocannons.

Another variable I think should be added to distinguish autocannons from cannon is the size; I changed my setting so I'm not 100% sure, but while on small mounts it was fine, on medium mounts and large mounts some autocannon counted as normal cannons, and if after modifying the files so all autocannons were autocannons, some canons end up in that category (like the Railgun). Maybe having a different threshold for different mount sizes would fix that?

The new WeaponCategory's I added should cover that with slightly higher muzzle velocities for high-damage autocannons.

I just discovered this mod and did a few sim battles to test it out a little. I still don't have a grasp of exactly how things work. I just know that everything is a lot faster and even PD weapons like LMGs have ranges in excess of 4000, which is insane to me.

Yay!  Glad you're enjoying it.

My main question at the moment is how certain skills and hullmods will be balanced in light of all these changes. For example, the elite Point Defense skill and Advanced Optics hullmod which give flat bonuses of 200 to PD weapons and beam weapons, respectively. Is that flat bonus still a mere 200? Are such skills and hullmods essentially worthless now? How about elite Ballistic Mastery which gives 33% to ballistic projectile speed, is that worthless now since the base projectile speed is so high?

No idea!  Potentially affected hullmods and skills are listed inside the possible future features section.

Aside from that I'd like to see things slowed down a bit. The ships are moving a lot quicker, projectiles are insanely fast and it's difficult to see the finer details of how a battle is progressing.

That's realistic combat for you: stuff moves fast! 

Another issue I see that mainly affects missiles is that some settings modify the amount of shots fired, max ammo, time to reload and reload amount, but missiles suffer most from this because some saturation missiles (like the Locust) end up barely shooting any missiles and have a significantly reduced ammo pool

Launchers can fire only as many missiles as you can see (or for which a slot appears) before reloading.  The ammo pool is significantly reduced because missiles are all buffed.

Try 1.15.0!  Maybe that will fix it.

755974 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at listeners.DamageTakenModifier.modifyDamageTaken(DamageTakenModifier.java:231)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:67)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:59)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.Ship.applyDamage(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.o0OO.A.A.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Im not sure but i think it could be related to this mod. This happened just randomly during a fight when i was shooting at an enemy ship.

Try 1.15.0!  I've tracked down what I suspect the cause to be--a typo--and fixed it.

Interesting, so I’ve run the usual sim against that Pather Bonnethead and with 1.15.0 the balance shifts hard against those little dual auto cannons — now they behave more like vanilla versions, having significantly less DPS. Needless to say that ship is now way weaker. Cannons seem to be doing fine though (tested against Dominator heavy assault sim).

Is that good?

ntoxeg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 24, 2022, 12:10:05 PM »

Is that good?

That’s a good question :D

It’s difficult for me to say without playing more — the balance seems to shift quite a lot with each update.
The general feel I have is that kinetic weapons feel kinda more useful than other types (although I haven’t played much with HE yet).
Another notable thing is that utility of weapons seems to vary kinda wildly — some feel useless while others seem extremely good.

But at least now more weapons (like the Autopulse Laser) behave more like they should, which is obviously good.

As a minor note — I’ve figured out why often at the beginning of simulations my ship would do this weird turning move, I think that AI engages its dodging behavior, trying to move more perpendicular to the enemy. It’s counterproductive but thankfully if I manually control the ship for a few seconds at the start it doesn’t seem to happen.

ntoxeg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 24, 2022, 12:16:37 PM »

Also, with this update some weapon behavior changed dramatically, the question of whether it’s good or not is also to you, the mod designer.
I’m assuming that you have some sort of vision for how the weapons should behave but I don’t know what it is so I just report what I see :)

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 24, 2022, 04:17:46 PM »

That’s a good question :D

It’s difficult for me to say without playing more — the balance seems to shift quite a lot with each update.

It sure does!

The general feel I have is that kinetic weapons feel kinda more useful than other types (although I haven’t played much with HE yet).

How have you felt them to be better?

Another notable thing is that utility of weapons seems to vary kinda wildly — some feel useless while others seem extremely good.

Aw, that's unfortunate.  Please elaborate.

As a minor note — I’ve figured out why often at the beginning of simulations my ship would do this weird turning move, I think that AI engages its dodging behavior, trying to move more perpendicular to the enemy. It’s counterproductive but thankfully if I manually control the ship for a few seconds at the start it doesn’t seem to happen.

Interesting that you find it counterproductive.  Care to elaborate?

Also, with this update some weapon behavior changed dramatically, the question of whether it’s good or not is also to you, the mod designer.
I’m assuming that you have some sort of vision for how the weapons should behave but I don’t know what it is so I just report what I see :)

I don't have much of a vision for how the weapons should behave but rather just try to make the mechanics more realistic than they were before and then tweak the sci-fi fudge factors to make it fun.

Enez61

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 24, 2022, 04:46:13 PM »

Testing the new version on [REDACTED] fleets.

It's impossible to win. A single Brilliant class ship just dominates two battleships easily. The rest I'd their fleet composition behaves normally, i think.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 04:11:34 AM by Enez61 »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 74