Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 76

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.6  (Read 321568 times)

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.13.0
« Reply #300 on: August 08, 2022, 08:01:49 PM »

Patch 1.13.0 is out!  Beam diffraction indicator added.  Built-in reporting for next version of Detailed Combat Results added.  Beam initial damage doubled.  Missile (but not torpedo) maneuverability greatly increased.

THE PHOENIX

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 10, 2022, 03:41:31 AM »

Please make a mirror - the link does not work!

A_Random_Dude

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 10, 2022, 06:28:59 AM »

It does for me though.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 10, 2022, 06:53:21 AM »

Please make a mirror - the link does not work!

My bad!  Fixed.

XYZZQ

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 10, 2022, 01:48:40 PM »

Hi, may I ask if advanced optics is buffed? I eagarly await the next patch!

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 10, 2022, 02:45:07 PM »

I have no idea what the skills and hullmods do in Realistic Combat!  I'm glad that you are eager for the next patch--and even made an account just to say so!

P.S. It is spelt 'eagerly'. :)

TastyCoffee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2022, 03:19:15 PM »

Increased map size, weapon range and armor mechanics all feel great; this mod is simply awesome, definitely my favorite mod so far. Thank you, Liral, you just made a great game even better :)

However there are some weapon behaviours which, I believe, are not intentional. Thumper (previously the most rapidfire weapon in the game) firing only one frag shell per ~10 seconds is incredibly underwhelming even compared to the stock machinegun; same applies for Mark IX autocannon, Thermal Pulse Laser, Devastator flak, Heavy Autocannon and a number of other high-firerate vanilla guns. For some reason, that bug does not apply to Assault Chaingun (and I am very happy about that). At the same time, Burst PD (both heavy and regular versions) as well as Paladin PD system have become incredibly OP due to surprisingly high range (Paladin now has 5000, far more than dedicated "sniper weapons" from vanilla) and damage output (relatively high firereate combined with raw damage-per-shot shreds ships much faster than literally any other non-missile weapon).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 03:21:33 PM by TastyCoffee »

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 10, 2022, 04:33:38 PM »

Increased map size, weapon range and armor mechanics all feel great; this mod is simply awesome, definitely my favorite mod so far. Thank you, Liral, you just made a great game even better :)

Wooooooo! :D  Thank you so much, especially for making this your very first forum post!

However there are some weapon behaviours which, I believe, are not intentional.

Some of it is intentional: see below.

Thumper (previously the most rapidfire weapon in the game) firing only one frag shell per ~10 seconds is incredibly underwhelming even compared to the stock machinegun; same applies for Mark IX autocannon, Thermal Pulse Laser, Devastator flak, Heavy Autocannon and a number of other high-firerate vanilla guns. For some reason, that bug does not apply to Assault Chaingun (and I am very happy about that).

The weapon spec modification code of Realistic Combat used to split ballistic weapons with a refire or burst delay above a respective threshold into the category of CANNON, and vice versa into that of AUTOCANNON, but now it also considers damage-per-shot because one user posted that the Mark IX and Devastator had been correctly designated autocannons but become overpowered because the autocannon case of the weapon spec modification code sets burst size to one and sets refire delay to burst delay.  Later, I was also told that this damage threshold was too low for fragmentation autocannons, which were being incorrectly classified as cannons and having their fire rate reduced, so I changed the code to multiply the threshold for fragmentation autocannons.  Downloading the latest version of Realistic Combat would make your Thumper fire rapdily again but not your Mark IX and Devastator, albeit compensated with impressive damage buffs.

Perhaps I should raise the cannon damage-per-shot threshold and then subdivide (even implicitly) the autocannon weapon category by another damage-per-shot threshold, above which the adjusted fire rates of autocannons would be capped.  The Mark IX, Devastator, and other high-damage autocannons would fire repeatedly but slowly, befitting their big shells.

At the same time, Burst PD (both heavy and regular versions) as well as Paladin PD system have become incredibly OP due to surprisingly high range (Paladin now has 5000, far more than dedicated "sniper weapons" from vanilla) and damage output (relatively high firereate combined with raw damage-per-shot shreds ships much faster than literally any other non-missile weapon).

Oh, yikes.  How are the non-PD burst lasers doing?

GirlRat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 11, 2022, 10:00:16 AM »

That's a really cool new way to approach the battle mode. I like it!
Though you gotta work some more on making it easier to pilot ships yourself. Somehow seeing contacts 14000 units away and stating to eat PD fire from 2000 units away while you can't see opponents is weeeird. Maybe I'm not used to it yet?
From the short time I spent trying it, in mission AI battles torpedoes behave weirdly. AI would shoot reapers at nothing and they'd die after traveling a short distance.
Are you also planning to do some changes to how command points work and how many of them are allocated? This thing makes tactics a lot more important and it also makes it more fun to just watch the battles instead of piloting a ship yourself
Anyway I really enjoy this mod and I'll be playing with it some more. Just watching the crazy long range laser/PD fire madness is entertaining

Hotpics

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 11, 2022, 11:08:55 AM »

I'll keep it short.

This mod made me play Starsector again.
Needs some polish here and there but good stuff.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 11, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »

That's a really cool new way to approach the battle mode. I like it!

Awwwww... thank you! :D

Though you gotta work some more on making it easier to pilot ships yourself. Somehow seeing contacts 14000 units away and stating to eat PD fire from 2000 units away while you can't see opponents is weeeird. Maybe I'm not used to it yet?

Sounds like you're having a hard time.  I want to hear you elaborate on that because it could help me understand why.

From the short time I spent trying it, in mission AI battles torpedoes behave weirdly. AI would shoot reapers at nothing and they'd die after traveling a short distance.

Huh, when you say die, do you mean flame out or be destroyed by point defense?

Are you also planning to do some changes to how command points work and how many of them are allocated? This thing makes tactics a lot more important and it also makes it more fun to just watch the battles instead of piloting a ship yourself

Sounds like you want more command points!  Try adding a command center to your flagship and tell me how it goes.

Anyway I really enjoy this mod and I'll be playing with it some more. Just watching the crazy long range laser/PD fire madness is entertaining

Thank you!  I'm glad that you really enjoy Realistic Combat and will be playing with it.  The long range fire is indeed awesome to behold.

I'll keep it short.

This mod made me play Starsector again.
Needs some polish here and there but good stuff.

Wow!  I'm glad and impressed that Realistic Combat got you back into the game.  I want to know where exactly you think the mod needs polish so I can apply it there.

GirlRat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 11, 2022, 12:53:42 PM »

Yeah I meant to say the reapers seem to flame out much quicker than other missiles
I like how Hurricane MIRVs looks now, the extra homing is cool
I'll play some more and see if I can word better what's giving me problems with piloting ships, but the bigger weapon range is definitely one of them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 12:55:20 PM by GirlRat »

XYZZQ

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 11, 2022, 01:59:59 PM »

I have no idea what the skills and hullmods do in Realistic Combat!  I'm glad that you are eager for the next patch--and even made an account just to say so!

lululul that sounds very fun! I saw the Integrated Targeting Unit in to to-do list in the beginning, may I ask if it currently does anything at all? It's hella expensive and I have it on all my ships

XYZZQ

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 12, 2022, 01:03:54 AM »

Awwwwwww thank you!!!! I didn't expect you to notice at all!!!! This mod is the sole reason that I registered for this forum, and I love your work sir!

When I first asked my friends about the mod, all my friends initially told me that "OooOooo Realistic Combat is lame I like my vanilla blasting," but now I convinced them to the contrary XDD

Alas, here are some questions from myself and my friends about the mod, it will be one of the best day of my life if you can give us some answer sir!

1: Shields, especially those on larger ships, that can be targeted from very far away, currently break extremely easily due to the vast volume of mg fire from enemy ships and fighters, and due to the AI's lack of ability to respond quickly, ships often overload because of this. *(Interestingly, this also makes Domain-Era-Drones without shields fairly competent since they basically never overload)

May I ask if this is intended? If not, will there be "shield armor" value for larger capital ships in the future? If yes, is it possible to make ai react a bit better by lowering shields to take small arms fire on their armor?

---

2: In the conversation of the post, I have read that the "damage" of a projectile is first compared to "1/15 of the armor value." Combine that with your previous statement about hullmod, may I ask of the hull mod "Heavy Armor" does anything? It will be a great addition if it does, since now some 200-armor ships can become 700-amor ship, resisting machine gun fire, which makes a HUGE difference.

Please tell us if "Heavy Armor" hullmod works, that will be very, very cool!

---

3. Does the "remaining damage" left after a penetration increase the damage of the projectile?

Lets say round A deals 1250 damage, and round B deals 1000 damage, they both hit a 500-armor-value target. Do they do different damage compared to each other, since A has more "remaining damage" compared to B?

Furthermore, will this effect of "additional damage due to remaining damage" differ by the damage type and projectile type? For example, I would certainly expect HE, Energy, and KE projectile to behave this way, but I have some more doubts about beams and stuff.

---

4. Due to the problems mentioned in [1], the high-tech capital ships in game have a bit of a struggle when fighting against other capital ships due to their lack of armor.

Would you consider buffing their armor, or give "armor" to their shield, or buff their shield flux/damage?

I ask this because the high-tech ships have their strategy focused on shield, because in their "original, vanilla universe," they worry much less about machine guns constantly bombarding their shields from thousands of miles away, and certainly those designers who design these ships will definitely add more armor if they are in "this realistic universe," or at least have some sort of compensating "armored shield" or something.

I am aware that high-tech ships still have advantages, for example when comparing Paragon to Onslaught (XIV), like 2/3 the fuel cost, but in this comparison the paragon has vastly higher deployment and supply cost, yet their armor is their fatal flaw (1500 vs 1850). Still, I guess this will be less of a issue is Heavy Armor mod does work.

---

5. Would you consider putting out a small list of "Hull mod that works as described," "Crew skills that works as described," and also a list of stuff that just does not work? I know there is a similar "to-do-list", but it will be much, much more clear if there is an actual list about it, this way players can avoid taking useless skills as stuff. (I know AI does this too, wasting points. But it will certainly improve our experience playing the mod)

Alternatively, perhaps tooltips in game can be changed to tell us what works and what does not work. But I know that this may cause compatibility issues and can be time consuming, so all I ask for is a little list XDD.

---

Thank you so much sir! I cannot describe how happy I am to find out how active you are! It really is a dream-come-true for me, as in the past I have only been able to discover amazing projects abandoned, and now I see a masterpiece unfolding before my eyes!

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 12, 2022, 05:30:22 PM »

Yeah I meant to say the reapers seem to flame out much quicker than other missiles
I like how Hurricane MIRVs looks now, the extra homing is cool
I'll play some more and see if I can word better what's giving me problems with piloting ships, but the bigger weapon range is definitely one of them.

It worries me that they flame out so soon.

lululul that sounds very fun! I saw the Integrated Targeting Unit in to to-do list in the beginning, may I ask if it currently does anything at all? It's hella expensive and I have it on all my ships

I have no idea!  Try it in the simulator and tell me.

Awwwwwww thank you!!!! I didn't expect you to notice at all!!!! This mod is the sole reason that I registered for this forum, and I love your work sir!

Wow, awwww!  Thanks.  I'm honored that this mod is why you registered.  I'm surprised you thought I wouldn't notice, though, because I respond to everyone!

When I first asked my friends about the mod, all my friends initially told me that "OooOooo Realistic Combat is lame I like my vanilla blasting," but now I convinced them to the contrary XDD

Wow, that's incredible!  Thanks!  I'm glad that they're playing and enjoying it.

Alas, here are some questions from myself and my friends about the mod, it will be one of the best day of my life if you can give us some answer sir!

1: Shields, especially those on larger ships, that can be targeted from very far away, currently break extremely easily due to the vast volume of mg fire from enemy ships and fighters, and due to the AI's lack of ability to respond quickly, ships often overload because of this. *(Interestingly, this also makes Domain-Era-Drones without shields fairly competent since they basically never overload)

May I ask if this is intended? If not, will there be "shield armor" value for larger capital ships in the future? If yes, is it possible to make ai react a bit better by lowering shields to take small arms fire on their armor?

Ok, I may have to turn down the shield damage multiplier for kinetic damage.

2: In the conversation of the post, I have read that the "damage" of a projectile is first compared to "1/15 of the armor value." Combine that with your previous statement about hullmod, may I ask of the hull mod "Heavy Armor" does anything? It will be a great addition if it does, since now some 200-armor ships can become 700-amor ship, resisting machine gun fire, which makes a HUGE difference.

Please tell us if "Heavy Armor" hullmod works, that will be very, very cool!

Heavy Armor works as you say, and it does make a huge difference.

3. Does the "remaining damage" left after a penetration increase the damage of the projectile?

Lets say round A deals 1250 damage, and round B deals 1000 damage, they both hit a 500-armor-value target. Do they do different damage compared to each other, since A has more "remaining damage" compared to B?

Furthermore, will this effect of "additional damage due to remaining damage" differ by the damage type and projectile type? For example, I would certainly expect HE, Energy, and KE projectile to behave this way, but I have some more doubts about beams and stuff.

Not at all.  If the round penetrates the surface armor, it deals 1/3rd of its stated damage.  If it penetrates the citadel armor, it deals full stated damage.

4. Due to the problems mentioned in [1], the high-tech capital ships in game have a bit of a struggle when fighting against other capital ships due to their lack of armor.

Would you consider buffing their armor, or give "armor" to their shield, or buff their shield flux/damage?

I ask this because the high-tech ships have their strategy focused on shield, because in their "original, vanilla universe," they worry much less about machine guns constantly bombarding their shields from thousands of miles away, and certainly those designers who design these ships will definitely add more armor if they are in "this realistic universe," or at least have some sort of compensating "armored shield" or something.

I am aware that high-tech ships still have advantages, for example when comparing Paragon to Onslaught (XIV), like 2/3 the fuel cost, but in this comparison the paragon has vastly higher deployment and supply cost, yet their armor is their fatal flaw (1500 vs 1850). Still, I guess this will be less of a issue is Heavy Armor mod does work.

Again, I might have to take the drastic step of reducing the kinetic shield damage multiplier.

5. Would you consider putting out a small list of "Hull mod that works as described," "Crew skills that works as described," and also a list of stuff that just does not work? I know there is a similar "to-do-list", but it will be much, much more clear if there is an actual list about it, this way players can avoid taking useless skills as stuff. (I know AI does this too, wasting points. But it will certainly improve our experience playing the mod)

I have almost no idea which hullmods and skills work or don't.

Alternatively, perhaps tooltips in game can be changed to tell us what works and what does not work. But I know that this may cause compatibility issues and can be time consuming, so all I ask for is a little list XDD.

See above, though even early versions have changed Safety Overrides, and the new version will change Safety Overrides to make ships that have it without Reinforced Bulkheads or Rugged Construction, etc., explode when destroyed.

Thank you so much sir! I cannot describe how happy I am to find out how active you are! It really is a dream-come-true for me, as in the past I have only been able to discover amazing projects abandoned, and now I see a masterpiece unfolding before my eyes!

Wow, thank you so much!  I'm glad you think Realistic Combat is a masterpiece and that you're happy that I'm active on the forum.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:07:16 PM by Liral »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 76