Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 74

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.4  (Read 283551 times)

Bud_p

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.10.0
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2022, 09:14:58 PM »

Bug report
Code
576929 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: H:\GameLibrary\Starsector0.951RC6\starsector-core\..\mods\ShipDirectionMarker (ShipDirectionMarker.ini)]
576930 [Thread-3] INFO  data.scripts.plugins.aEP_LocalData  - aEP_LocalData_init
576934 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: H:\GameLibrary\Starsector0.951RC6\starsector-core\..\mods\System_Marker (SYSTEM_MARKER_OPTIONS.ini)]
576936 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [DIRECTORY: H:\GameLibrary\Starsector0.951RC6\starsector-core\..\mods\System_Marker (SYSTEM_MARKER_OPTIONS.ini)]
596421 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.getEnergyTriangles(ProjectileIndicators.java:177)
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.renderIndicator(ProjectileIndicators.java:259)
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.renderInUICoords(ProjectileIndicators.java:287)
at com.fs.starfarer.title.Object.L$Oo.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.A.new.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

other one,

Code
284305 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.glColor(ProjectileIndicators.java:195)
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.renderIndicator(ProjectileIndicators.java:265)
at plugins.ProjectileIndicators.renderInUICoords(ProjectileIndicators.java:287)
at com.fs.starfarer.title.Object.L$Oo.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.A.new.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Not familiar with starsector's API, but is it able to use try-catch here? and return the un-mod value if any exception occur within the mod?

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 29, 2022, 10:39:17 PM »

Hotfixed 1.10.1: the code for energy projectile triangles no longer raises exceptions.

Bud_p

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 29, 2022, 10:40:18 PM »

Hotfixed 1.10.1: the code for energy projectile triangles no longer raises exceptions.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FAST!!!!  :-* :-*

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.10.1
« Reply #243 on: July 29, 2022, 11:08:08 PM »

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FAST!!!!  :-* :-*

You're welcome!

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.9.0
« Reply #244 on: July 30, 2022, 12:51:25 AM »

Hey, could weapon mount rotation speed be factored in with muzzle velocity for range?

Like, if you had a laser, which of course has ridiculous muzzle velocity, it might be able to instantly zap a fighter, but only if it could aim quickly enough at said fighter.

If you had a massive, non-PD laser for instance, which had a very low rotation speed as it was meant to be used against larger ships, it would make sense that fighter would simply stay too high or too low for it to be able to aim at them, no?

Of course, this becomes less true the further out you get from the axis of a weapon aim arc, just as the ends of spokes on a wheel move faster than the ends near the axis do. But, counting in gunner reaction times and gameplay balance reasons, I'd think this could be included to such a degree as to impact the combat significantly, and nerf lasers a little, if they're too powerful as PD, even when the lasers in question are not PD.

IDK know, this is just a random idea I had. I am not to knowledgeable about physics and math and space combat simulations, so whatever. I have no idea what the state of balance is for this mod, I haven't tried it yet, but this idea came to mind while I read through the comments, deciding whether I'd want to try to play this with every one of the 40 mods I have installed lol.

Woooo!  Someone else playing!  I think you have found lasers to be too powerful as PD: is that so?

Ah, regrettably I have not yet played, though I wish to very soon! I have been reading through these pages to get a decent understanding of how the mod works and the future plans for balancing and changes and additions, so that when I did play I'd have an idea of where the mod was headed, before I went ahead and made judgements. Though, it seems I already have made some, my mistake.

When I made this suggestion, I was more so considering that if lasers turn out to be too strong, if for instance a very large laser could simply sweep through several squadrons of fighters, kilometers away, that this could be a method of nerfing that laser for PD use. I haven't gone out and tested if say a tachyon lance could decimate that many fighters at that range, but I'd imagine it might, which would be odd for realism's sake, because the fighters in such a scenario could easily scatter and dodge such an attack, resulting in only one or two being destroyed, instead of the laser dashing from fighter to fighter.

Again, it was just a speculation. I thought, if powerful lasers, with their massive range, turned out to be too-effective PD tools, that I would give you this idea, which might be a useful way to realistically nerf their being used as such tools.

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 30, 2022, 12:55:54 AM »

Oh, also, could I ask why many weapons are said to have a massively increased fire rate?

I haven't tested it so I might like that change, but in case I don't, or if it causes frame lag, is there some toggle for various features of this mod? I think I would like such toggles regardless for other features which I or others might find personally disagreeable.

EDIT: My mistake, I should have read through the whole topic first and changelog. I can see toggles are there.

However, I would still like to know the rationale behind increasing fire rate apparently so much?

Yay, another person playing and even commenting!  Weapon refire delay is unchanged, but burst fire autocannons have their bursts replaced with full-auto fire at the burst rate.

Could I ask what exactly you mean by refire delay and burst rate and full-auto fire? I don't quite know what they mean in terms of actual gameplay. Could you use light machine guns as an example?

For instance, would refire delay be the delay between the five-shot bursts of light machine gun, whereas the burst rate would be the delay between each of those five shots?

If I am correct here, would this mean that a light machine gun would then fire its five shot bursts with no delay between each burst?

Digganob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.8.0
« Reply #246 on: July 30, 2022, 01:32:25 AM »

Super cool ideas, this would be re-introduce armor damage into the game in a less-significant way, which is something I was concerned about. I always thought it was cool how high-damage weapons can "open the door" for less high damage weapons to start doing damage. I would be happy if this could be implemented.

The trouble I see with the idea is that a ship would have to survive multiple hits to its citadel and only then have less effective armor, and only on that one cell.  For example, the Hammerhead has 500 armor and 5,000 hull.  In just ten citadel hits, the Hammerhead would be destroyed, and the armor fatigue would be irrelevant.

Well, here's two thoughts:

1, addressing citadel hits:

Maybe this could be a high-difficulty maneuver. You have one reaper torpedo mounted on your frigate, and you manage to hit a capital ship with it! Citadel armor is massively fatigued, and now your smaller cannons can get hits in, but only in that one spot you hit it! This could be a very cool little tactical choice a player could have.

Of course, it would be less of big deal with less effective citadel hits, or more spread-out hits. Hitting a hammerhead five out of ten times in five different places may not make a difference in each of those places, but hitting that hammerhead five times in the same place would leave that spot very vulnerable.

2, addressing compartment hits:

Armor fatigue for compartment hits could still be very effectual. After all, to penetrate the citadel armor, you still need to get through the compartment armor, no? That's maybe about a ~16th of the total armor you're having to penetrate. If it was torn to shreds by a just-barely-too-weak cannon, maybe that cannon could just-barely begin to penetrate the citadel by riddling the compartment in front of it with armorless holes?

I think it would add a lot of great options for weaker weapon loadouts to be able to deal with stronger targets with such a mechanic. It wouldn't be as impactful as armor stripping is in vanilla, but for the desperate player fighting a desperate fight, it would be impactful enough.

It would also create interesting situations where a player ship has been hit on one side, breaching citadel armor, which would force the player to mainly show the other side of their ship to even somewhat weaker cannons, changing the tactical situation.

Edit: It seems I have finally made it to the end of these pages. Feels like I've been reading a book. At next opportunity, perhaps tomorrow, I'm going to download this mod and finally give it a try! And equipped with a decent idea of what is happening, too.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 01:35:58 AM by Digganob »

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 30, 2022, 06:46:51 AM »

Ah, regrettably I have not yet played, though I wish to very soon! I have been reading through these pages to get a decent understanding of how the mod works and the future plans for balancing and changes and additions, so that when I did play I'd have an idea of where the mod was headed, before I went ahead and made judgements. Though, it seems I already have made some, my mistake.

Now I understand.  I was confused because your suggestions sounded like balance or design decisions I had already made one way or the other.  By the way, did you watch the video before posting your comments?

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.10.1
« Reply #248 on: July 30, 2022, 10:36:39 AM »

Hotfix 1.10.2: prohibited projectiles with on-hit effects from spawning ricochet projectiles.

Ban

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.10.2
« Reply #249 on: July 30, 2022, 11:28:42 AM »

Hey dude, awesome job!
I really enjoy this mod and come to midgame with it and with Nexerelin (like 20 hours in total, mod version 1.4.2), untill i find that RC ruins balance for some modded weapons  ;D
Firstly i blame other mods but then find that guilty is RC.
For example, i try to engage "Oculian Armada" station and it kill my entiry fleet really fast. I try again and deploy 3 capitals, (one of them with 40k hull), and they was shredded in a minute. Some balistic gun on that station become too overpowered.

Then i find that one of my cruisers doing some mad stuff and trashes enemies thick and fast. Tierra Burst Cannon from "The Exalted" mode and Devastator Cannon (seems to be vanila, idk) is the reason why it happens. Images below, sorry for the quality (had to crop them due to the forun limits)

I add the video with examples, how Tierra Burst Cannon works without mod and with it (plus energy feeder to increace shooting speed even more). See fire rate and the range :D

(dunno is it works if i add vids like this)

This mod brings ton of neat features, but having such OP weapons is not cool so i have disable it or try to play with the setting to toggle everything what change weapon behavior :(
I dont blame you, RC is great and works with every mode, but it is not really "compatible", so need to use it on own risk.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 30, 2022, 11:48:55 AM »

Hey dude, awesome job!

Ayyy, thanks! :D

I really enjoy this mod and come to midgame with it and with Nexerelin (like 20 hours in total, mod version 1.4.2), untill i find that RC ruins balance for some modded weapons  ;D
Firstly i blame other mods but then find that guilty is RC.

Yeah, RC really messes with modded weapon balance because I have no idea what modders create--and their work usually pushes the boundaries of Starsector balance as it is.

For example, i try to engage "Oculian Armada" station and it kill my entiry fleet really fast. I try again and deploy 3 capitals, (one of them with 40k hull), and they was shredded in a minute. Some balistic gun on that station become too overpowered.

Then i find that one of my cruisers doing some mad stuff and trashes enemies thick and fast. Tierra Burst Cannon from "The Exalted" mode and Devastator Cannon (seems to be vanila, idk) is the reason why it happens. Images below, sorry for the quality (had to crop them due to the forun limits)

I add the video with examples, how Tierra Burst Cannon works without mod and with it (plus energy feeder to increace shooting speed even more). See fire rate and the range :D

(dunno is it works if i add vids like this)

This mod brings ton of neat features, but having such OP weapons is not cool so i have disable it or try to play with the setting to toggle everything what change weapon behavior :(
I dont blame you, RC is great and works with every mode, but it is not really "compatible", so need to use it on own risk.

Yeah, this is a known problem with some high-damage weapons being interpreted as autocannons because of a high rate of fire.  I'll fix it in the next patch.

MrNage

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 30, 2022, 12:18:25 PM »

I think the feature toggles should be more granular, if only to make testing more convenient (i.e. modify ship movement, modify ship armor, modify weapon ammo-feed system).

Even for vanilla weapons, I do not like the fact that the Hephaestus and the Mark XI fire like gatling guns for some reason, as it swings the balance of a fight to whatever fleet has these two weapons. In my opinion, the modifications that the mod applies to the refire delay of ALL weapons should be disabled by default, at least until a better feel could be had concerning the balance (especially with the armor conversion, in mind).

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 30, 2022, 12:35:13 PM »

I think the feature toggles should be more granular, if only to make testing more convenient (i.e. modify ship movement, modify ship armor, modify weapon ammo-feed system).

Even for vanilla weapons, I do not like the fact that the Hephaestus and the Mark XI fire like gatling guns for some reason,

It's because the autocannon distinction depends only on fire rate rather than damage.  That's what I said I would fix in the above post.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.11.0
« Reply #253 on: July 30, 2022, 02:18:16 PM »

Patch 1.11.0 is out!  High damage, fast-firing weapons will now be considered cannons because of an added a damage check to determining whether a weapon is a cannon.  Cannons have increased refire delays.

Necrodamis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.11.0
« Reply #254 on: July 30, 2022, 02:35:28 PM »

Patch 1.11.0 is out!  High damage, fast-firing weapons will now be considered cannons because of an added a damage check to determining whether a weapon is a cannon.  Cannons have increased refire delays.

Dine this mean the mark XI auto cannon no longer has a machine gun fire rate cause I really like the high rof, makes me want to actually use it lol
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 74