Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 76

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.6  (Read 310367 times)

Smartass

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96.a] Realistic Combat 1.23.4
« Reply #690 on: May 14, 2023, 07:38:21 AM »

Alright, so first of all, thanks for fixing the issue with PD weapons. They were blasting all over the place without hitting anything. Shame I can't use the update cause I am still on 0.95.

There I see a good point.  Please elaborate on what you want to know, exactly.

Well, in the normal game, I know what 100 kinetic and 100 HE and 100 fragmentation damage means. Since vanilla has ablative armor (with a minimum value), it's all a matter of removing armor for your weapons to deal (almost) true damage to the hull. With the new system, I don't really know how effective weapons are. What does 100 kinetic give me with realistic combat? I only noticed the updated damage tooltip at the bottom of every weapon, but that's not very indicative of the new system. I under how the new damage type perform, but in practice I am blindly slapping what seems to work on my ships. Sometimes a weapon doesn't even budge the hull, sometimes it nearly 100 to 0's an enemy ship.
A side effect of this, and a welcome one, is that DPSecond is much less important compared to DPShot. While a 20x5 weapon was generally (imo) preferred vs a 100x1, now I actually take into account that high DPSecond with low DPShot weapons might not even make it through armor.

the AI doesn't fully understand the modified damage system

I actually kept playing after making my initial comment. I really didn't want to disable this mod, it's so damned cool! And even after coping about the (now fixed) missiles and occasionally sleeping my ships go nuclear in engagements where I had the numerical advantage, the confused AI is so annoying, for two reasons:
1. Your very helpful guide mentioned forming a line with your fleet. It works, except for those ships that overshoot the rendezvous marker by miles. Faster and clumsier ships means certain hulls that are already clunky just get gang banged because they can't slow in time, and endlessly over or undershoot.
2. Shield AI. My god, vanilla AI always toggles shield for any kind of missile or projectile incoming (unless at high flux but that's not the issue). With RC, at the range where the two fleets are in missile range but outside projectile/beam ranges, most of my fleet always takes 10% to 15% hull damage because they don't raise shields at all to block missiles (occasionally it's a minor 5% hull or a crazy 20%).

Really, the only thing I don't really like about this mod is frag damage. I loved frag damage builds, especially because a few other mode add really fun fragmentation weapons. It was all a matter of stripping armor. With the new all-or-nothing system, frag is only ever useful vs smaller and/or low armor ships.
Welp

MichaelMarko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 14, 2023, 10:39:55 AM »

my game crash when trying to start a random battle
error log below
542406 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Hullmod concord_captain not found!
java.lang.RuntimeException: Hullmod concord_captain not found!
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.HullVariantSpec.getAllMods(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.FleetMember.updateStats(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.ooOO.OO0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.finishRefitOnAllShips(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.TitleScreenState.onStateTransition(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:750)
the enabled mod are
{"enabledMods": [
  "lw_lazylib",
  "MagicLib",
  "RealisticCombat",
  "shaderLib"
]}

RotaryBlade

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 15, 2023, 07:20:58 AM »

Im sorry but is there a github or way to download this for 0.95/previous version? or will it work with the current version? just started using this with 0.96 but it keeps crashing (unrelated to the mod) and i wanted to use it with some other mods that hasnt been updated yet and thank you Liral for your work on this amazing mod

Crabyphus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 16, 2023, 12:48:46 AM »

Hey just also wanted to report some unusual behavior from DEM missiles, like attempting to "Strafe" a target, and every DEM i have tested so far has fired off its energy payload too far away to actually connect with the target (Update, The Hydra seems "consistant-ish" with sometimes it engaging its beam in sensible ranges and other times looking more like a christmas decoration for a few seconds)

*Also while testing with some mods, i found the energy swords used by ArmaArmature mechs to reach ludicrous and terrifying distances- i know this is a mod issue so i don't expect anything to be done about it just found it as a pretty funny sight*
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 02:41:27 AM by Crabyphus »

ViolentSweed

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 19, 2023, 02:22:43 PM »

I get this error together with a crash when I join a battle, everything works just fine if I disable Realistic Combat.

264454 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at listeners.DamageModel.modifyDamageTaken(DamageModel.java:245)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:68)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:60)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.Ship.applyDamage(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.class.oOOO.A.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.class.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.class.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

rarewhalerw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 20, 2023, 04:35:10 AM »

I get this error together with a crash when I join a battle, everything works just fine if I disable Realistic Combat.

264454 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
   at listeners.DamageModel.modifyDamageTaken(DamageModel.java:245)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:68)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:60)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.Ship.applyDamage(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.class.oOOO.A.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
same

Withered/Flame

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 23, 2023, 12:20:58 AM »

Some things about balance

High intensity laser is all you need in this mod; would appreciate the damage of the more powerful beam weapons nerfed into the ground, as having a extra-long range option is good but should not be a "I win button" (11000 range is typical for beams and 4000 is typical for shots)
 - I don't think a single Sunder with a HE laser being able to beat a Onslaught in a head-to-head fight is intended.
Also don't want the damage of the smaller lasers nerfed, maybe add something along the line of "More damage -> more attenuation"; Hopefully the ia will be able to adapt to that.

There are many weapons that should have different ranges, like:
Antimatter blasters have the same range as other energy blasters, 4323. No point in picking anything else.
The Mjolnir cannon has only 373 less range then the Gauss cannon. No point in picking anything else then Mjolnir.
If you do this remember to reduce ranges, not add to them as very fast projectiles is what caused the shield penetration bug in the first place.

Do not know if this is intended but beam PD is the only realistic way to deal with maneuverable torpedos like the Atropos.
This combined with the fact that projectile PD tends to shred fighters seems like a fair trade off, just wanted to ask to make sure.

Phase ships need a buff, maybe maneuverability?
I'm talking like +100%

I could balance things out as I did projectile speed if you want, just need instructions on how.
Making these things configurable could let you outsource some of this if need be.

lucy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 24, 2023, 06:51:34 AM »

[Issue] Ballistic and hybrid weapons in locked forward facing (very limited cone in which you can aim) hardpoints cannot be fired. I believe they are locked in cooldown/charge as the cooldown bar is stuck at a point in the start. When holding left click and switching to those weapons they fire, however that only works once.

robocat651

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 24, 2023, 08:37:18 AM »

Some things about balance

High intensity laser is all you need in this mod; would appreciate the damage of the more powerful beam weapons nerfed into the ground, as having a extra-long range option is good but should not be a "I win button" (11000 range is typical for beams and 4000 is typical for shots)
 - I don't think a single Sunder with a HE laser being able to beat a Onslaught in a head-to-head fight is intended.
Also don't want the damage of the smaller lasers nerfed, maybe add something along the line of "More damage -> more attenuation"; Hopefully the ia will be able to adapt to that.

There are many weapons that should have different ranges, like:
Antimatter blasters have the same range as other energy blasters, 4323. No point in picking anything else.
The Mjolnir cannon has only 373 less range then the Gauss cannon. No point in picking anything else then Mjolnir.
If you do this remember to reduce ranges, not add to them as very fast projectiles is what caused the shield penetration bug in the first place.

Do not know if this is intended but beam PD is the only realistic way to deal with maneuverable torpedos like the Atropos.
This combined with the fact that projectile PD tends to shred fighters seems like a fair trade off, just wanted to ask to make sure.

Phase ships need a buff, maybe maneuverability?
I'm talking like +100%

I could balance things out as I did projectile speed if you want, just need instructions on how.
Making these things configurable could let you outsource some of this if need be.

I share the same sentiments - now it's just 1-2 weapons to rule them all.
Awesome mod and my fav by the way, along with AdvancedGunneryControls but the balancing requires more tweaks.

robocat651

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 27, 2023, 10:51:44 AM »

377421 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.FleetEncounterContext.computeFPHullDamage(FleetEncounterContext.java:1970)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.FleetEncounterContext.processEngagementResul ts(FleetEncounterContext.java:247)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.FleetInteractionDialogPluginImpl.backFromEng agement(FleetInteractionDialogPluginImpl.java:594)
   at exerelin.campaign.battle.NexFleetInteractionDialogPluginImpl.backFromEngagement(NexFleetInteractionDialogPluginImpl.java:87)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.prepare(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.super(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I've been having a string of crashes right after battles. 90% of battles ends up crashing the game. When I posted this on Nexerelin because it looks like it's from that mod, but someone there replied that it might have something to do with Realistic Combat. And when I disabled Realistic Combat, the crashes went away. So hoping this gets fixed because I really love this mod and want to use it all the time.

Chaotic-Entropy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: May 28, 2023, 05:01:39 AM »

377421 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.FleetEncounterContext.computeFPHullDamage(FleetEncounterContext.java:1970)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.FleetEncounterContext.processEngagementResul ts(FleetEncounterContext.java:247)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.FleetInteractionDialogPluginImpl.backFromEng agement(FleetInteractionDialogPluginImpl.java:594)
   at exerelin.campaign.battle.NexFleetInteractionDialogPluginImpl.backFromEngagement(NexFleetInteractionDialogPluginImpl.java:87)

I've been having a string of crashes right after battles. 90% of battles ends up crashing the game. When I posted this on Nexerelin because it looks like it's from that mod, but someone there replied that it might have something to do with Realistic Combat. And when I disabled Realistic Combat, the crashes went away. So hoping this gets fixed because I really love this mod and want to use it all the time.

Likewise, though it is right at the end of specific battles. Most of my battles are fine, but then a specific battle comes along that always crashes and I either have to skip it or play the battle without Realistic Combat enable.

234884 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 28, 2023, 07:26:02 AM »

Is there a way to download the older 1.22.7 version? Since I'm using other mods which have not been updated yet.

P.S. I really could not forsee this being that hard of a request

Link added.  I'm so sorry for having waited.

the AI doing even weirder, more suicidal stuff than normal was my main gripe a few months ago, even while playing with a ton of what i consider semi-supported faction mods; the weapon and tactics chaos was pretty fun actually. gonna try this again in actual vanilla gameplay, good job man

Wow, what exactly have you seen it do?

Dragonfire DEMs don't seem to work their beam is shorter and they purposely move out of range of their own attack
and some weapons (Gigacannons and gauss cannons) won't fire manually unless auto-fire is turned on.

I've noticed the former and am not sure how to fix it.  I'll look into the latter.

Alright, so first of all, thanks for fixing the issue with PD weapons. They were blasting all over the place without hitting anything. Shame I can't use the update cause I am still on 0.95.

Say no more!

Well, in the normal game, I know what 100 kinetic and 100 HE and 100 fragmentation damage means. Since vanilla has ablative armor (with a minimum value), it's all a matter of removing armor for your weapons to deal (almost) true damage to the hull. With the new system, I don't really know how effective weapons are. What does 100 kinetic give me with realistic combat? I only noticed the updated damage tooltip at the bottom of every weapon, but that's not very indicative of the new system. I under how the new damage type perform, but in practice I am blindly slapping what seems to work on my ships. Sometimes a weapon doesn't even budge the hull, sometimes it nearly 100 to 0's an enemy ship.

You have a good point. I wish I could say millimeters rolled homogeneous armor equivalent (mmRHAe) instead of "Damage" because I could then describe damage relative to that number.  The underlying math has several steps but amounts to "Don't get hit flat-on by a high-damage weapon, or else you're gonna lose a bunch of hull points."

- The Gauss Cannon, a kinetic weapon with 700 'Damage' on its information card, can penetrate 300mm of rolled homogeneous armor. 
- If its projectile struck the front of an undamaged Hammerhead, a ship with 500 armor rating, at 90 degrees, then it would penetrate the surface armor, which is 1/15th the armor rating.
- Then, the projectile would damage the surrounding armor cells.  Each armor cell has 1/15th the total armor, the compartment damage factor is 1/6th, and the compartment damage distribution (not in the settings) would amount to 68% damage, and the kinetic damage multiplier is 1/2, so 15 damage.
- Then the projectile would continue through the citadel armor.  The kinetic damage multiplier is 1/2, so it would inflict half of its penetration as damage to the hull of the ship, and inflict a critical malfunction.  Minimum damage: 100 + 350 = 450, or just under a tenth of the Hammerhead's 5,000 hull points in one shot.

A side effect of this, and a welcome one, is that DPSecond is much less important compared to DPShot. While a 20x5 weapon was generally (imo) preferred vs a 100x1, now I actually take into account that high DPSecond with low DPShot weapons might not even make it through armor.

However, if they even barely do, then they can steadily wear-away the enemy's hull and combat readiness regardless.

I actually kept playing after making my initial comment. I really didn't want to disable this mod, it's so damned cool! And even after coping about the (now fixed) missiles and occasionally sleeping my ships go nuclear in engagements where I had the numerical advantage, the confused AI is so annoying, for two reasons:
1. Your very helpful guide mentioned forming a line with your fleet. It works, except for those ships that overshoot the rendezvous marker by miles. Faster and clumsier ships means certain hulls that are already clunky just get gang banged because they can't slow in time, and endlessly over or undershoot.

Yes, I've noticed that I have to hold the fast, small ships far back.  I should add that note to the field manual.

2. Shield AI. My god, vanilla AI always toggles shield for any kind of missile or projectile incoming (unless at high flux but that's not the issue). With RC, at the range where the two fleets are in missile range but outside projectile/beam ranges, most of my fleet always takes 10% to 15% hull damage because they don't raise shields at all to block missiles (occasionally it's a minor 5% hull or a crazy 20%).

Huh, I wonder how to fix that one!

Really, the only thing I don't really like about this mod is frag damage. I loved frag damage builds, especially because a few other mode add really fun fragmentation weapons. It was all a matter of stripping armor. With the new all-or-nothing system, frag is only ever useful vs smaller and/or low armor ships.

Try carefully adjusting the frag damage multiplier to see if you can balance it.  Frag used to be ridiculous.

my game crash when trying to start a random battle
error log below
542406 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Hullmod concord_captain not found!
java.lang.RuntimeException: Hullmod concord_captain not found!
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.HullVariantSpec.getAllMods(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.FleetMember.updateStats(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.ooOO.OO0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.finishRefitOnAllShips(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.TitleScreenState.onStateTransition(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:750)
the enabled mod are
{"enabledMods": [
  "lw_lazylib",
  "MagicLib",
  "RealisticCombat",
  "shaderLib"
]}

Huh, that's odd.  I've never gotten that error before.  You might have to re-install because concord is a library.

Fixed with duck-tape.

Likewise, though it is right at the end of specific battles. Most of my battles are fine, but then a specific battle comes along that always crashes and I either have to skip it or play the battle without Realistic Combat enable.

234884 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException

Fixed with duck-tape.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 28, 2023, 07:28:54 AM »

1.23.5 is out!  Fixed a crash-to-desktop bug involving post-battle damage reporting and made certain combat skills interact with the damage model.

robocat651

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96.a] Realistic Combat 1.23.5
« Reply #703 on: May 28, 2023, 08:21:07 AM »

1.23.5 is out!  Fixed a crash-to-desktop bug involving post-battle damage reporting and made certain combat skills interact with the damage model.

Thank you! Fingers crossed the duck tape holds!

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96.a] Realistic Combat 1.23.5
« Reply #704 on: May 28, 2023, 08:21:43 AM »

Thank you! Fingers crossed the duck tape holds!

You're welcome!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 76