Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 76

Author Topic: [0.97a] Realistic Combat 2.0.6  (Read 331872 times)

G00D80T

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.20.7
« Reply #540 on: September 27, 2022, 04:14:44 AM »

I just turn on the game with the mod and immediately gives this window. the game doesn't even start.

I attached a screenshot of the error, in /starsector.log the same thing.

What are the steps to reproduce he bug: how can I make the bug happen?

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 27, 2022, 04:56:18 AM »

I just turn on the game with the mod and immediately gives this window. the game doesn't even start.

I don't get this error on startup.  Please tell me which Realistic Combat version yielded this bug and what other mods you were using.

Hotfix 1.21.2 is out! Reintroduced skill changes after verifying that they do not affect performance.  Fixed a null pointer exception.

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 27, 2022, 06:42:57 AM »

Hotfix 1.21.2 is out! Reintroduced skill changes after verifying that they do not affect performance.  Fixed a null pointer exception.
The re-introduced 'characters\skills' sub-folder isn't placed within 'data', Liral. So they're (probably?) not overriding vanilla's right now, if the paths defined in mod_info.json are any indication ;D

Don't have the time to test out if my FPS are still hammered by the skill(s) / hard flux indicator(s) changes before heading out for the morning / afternoon, though.

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 27, 2022, 07:26:19 AM »

The re-introduced 'characters\skills' sub-folder isn't placed within 'data', Liral. So they're (probably?) not overriding vanilla's right now, if the paths defined in mod_info.json are any indication ;D

Fixed, thanks.  Just redownload.

Don't have the time to test out if my FPS are still hammered by the skill(s) / hard flux indicator(s) changes before heading out for the morning / afternoon, though.

Bummer!  One users has reported not having problems, so this problem might be an interaction.

Slomes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.21.2
« Reply #544 on: September 27, 2022, 08:14:14 AM »

Quote from: GoldenGlory on September 26, 2022, 09:46:46 PM
alright, i made an account for this one. so I've found two major errors, the first is the hilarious one that cases everything to retreat unconditionally once it goes below 50 percent combat readiness, making a lot of fights either way easier or way harder than they should be since you cant force your cowards to stay and finish an enemy who's almost defeated, but it makes enemies flee fights they could easily win and helplessly be defeated by tiny forces, or more commonly nothing. which leads to the second part, automated drones will still "retreat", but obviously they don't go anywhere, so its treated as though it was YOU who retreated, and the game kinda cant deal with it so the text doesn't make sense. re engaging them makes them spawn and immediately retreat since they cant actually flee, so the only real way to defeat them is to continually re engage them then declare victory so their CR goes down from deployment, until it gets low enough that they take major damage on deployment and you can start getting them to explode. i kinda got used to that one since the mod is so much more fun though.

That behavior is not a bug but a feature: waiting until lower combat readiness to retreat leaves the ship unable to survive the retreat.  I should have documented it in the Field Manual and noted that the solution is to reserve some fast ships with long-range weapons to pursue and destroy a defeated fleet.

I usually dont have any trouble with the <50%, it works fine for me and its nice seeing my ships I thought were gone actually didnt die, they managed to run away somehow.
I however 2nd the drone issue with the [REDACTED]. you cant take those down with a fast ship with long range cause they will immediately turna round and retreat after traveling the fixed starting distance into the combat map. They are fast and you need to travel a long way to get into enemy retreat border range. They are long gone by then. So you need to cheese them into death over multiple engagements which is tedious since your ships loose fixed CR by being deployed, and are inoperable after 1 or 2 times, so you need to send another and another.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 08:19:42 AM by Slomes »

GoldenGlory

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.21.1
« Reply #545 on: September 27, 2022, 09:35:35 AM »

alright, i made an account for this one. so I've found two major errors, the first is the hilarious one that cases everything to retreat unconditionally once it goes below 50 percent combat readiness, making a lot of fights either way easier or way harder than they should be since you cant force your cowards to stay and finish an enemy who's almost defeated, but it makes enemies flee fights they could easily win and helplessly be defeated by tiny forces, or more commonly nothing. which leads to the second part, automated drones will still "retreat", but obviously they don't go anywhere, so its treated as though it was YOU who retreated, and the game kinda cant deal with it so the text doesn't make sense. re engaging them makes them spawn and immediately retreat since they cant actually flee, so the only real way to defeat them is to continually re engage them then declare victory so their CR goes down from deployment, until it gets low enough that they take major damage on deployment and you can start getting them to explode. i kinda got used to that one since the mod is so much more fun though.

That behavior is not a bug but a feature: waiting until lower combat readiness to retreat leaves the ship unable to survive the retreat.  I should have documented it in the Field Manual and noted that the solution is to reserve some fast ships with long-range weapons to pursue and destroy a defeated fleet.

the other one was guns like the anti matter blaster not firing and guns like flak guns and the heavy autocannon firing like miniguns and overloading the craft immediately, which made the monitor a total trash heap since the two built in flak guns get it to max flux immediately. that one seems to have been fixed by the recent release but now its unplayable due to an incredibly common Null Pointer Exception during combat.
129927 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at listeners.DamageModel.applyCriticallyMalfunctionToNearestModule(DamageModel.java:84)
   at listeners.DamageModel.modifyDamageTaken(DamageModel.java:288)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:67)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:59)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.Ship.applyDamage(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.o0OO.A.A.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.o0OO.A.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.o0OO.A.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Expect a hotfix.  Also, please tell me if your average combat frame-rate has dropped in recent versions because someone else has reported as much.

i couldnt tell you, every combat crashes so fast with that error that i cant really get any good feel for the framerate. the little i can see before someone fires a shot seem fairly stable, but thats not really that usefull i imagine.

the problem is that they retreat from everything, and i cant force them to not no matter how much i cancel the retreat.  a destroyer retreating from a crippled freighter because its combat readiness dropped below 50 percent should be grounds for a court martial and immediate dismissal at least, not the standard operating procedure of a pirate fleet that should be making out like the bandits they are, but are instead fleeing from helpless merchants way before they're actually down to a worrying combat readiness level.

on the subject of hilariously cowardly warships, try and join in a fight of an allied fleet against an enemy, you'll immediately engage the matrix as what i think is the reason warships disobey all orders to cancel retreats comes up, with a massive spam of retreat messages taking up the entire side of the screen that keeps duplicating every moment that the allied ship is on screen. it seems like its spamming the retreat order the entire time, cancelling out any orders otherwise. it was mildly handy before since it slowed the game down so heavily that i could be very precise with my antimatter blaster and shoot around the enemy shield before it could be brought up. i'm not sure if it works in the recent version though since i cant get it to run long enough to test

GoldenGlory

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 27, 2022, 09:44:14 AM »

I usually dont have any trouble with the <50%, it works fine for me and its nice seeing my ships I thought were gone actually didnt die, they managed to run away somehow.
I however 2nd the drone issue with the [REDACTED]. you cant take those down with a fast ship with long range cause they will immediately turna round and retreat after traveling the fixed starting distance into the combat map. They are fast and you need to travel a long way to get into enemy retreat border range. They are long gone by then. So you need to cheese them into death over multiple engagements which is tedious since your ships loose fixed CR by being deployed, and are inoperable after 1 or 2 times, so you need to send another and another.

actually i found a workaround, assuming you mean the blue ones and not the fixed ones. since they immediately retreat what you do is you dont deploy anything, just cancel the deployment. they'll flee in fear of your nothing but still waste their cr from the deployment, then since they all retreated you can pursue them, and they're kinda screwed, or if they think they can take you because their commanders inaccurately expected their ships to go down fighting, just let them do it again until their cr goes down to the point they try and flee, then you should still have enough cr for that brief window of time before your own ships turn tail and flee.
for the brownish fixed ones just keep deploying nothing till they kill themselves.

on the subject of that first thing, you'll probably want a mod called automated commands, you can put commands to retreat on low cr at various thresholds on your ships so they automatically try to retreat at whatever point you set, but critically it still lets you order them back into the fight if they're likely to win it if they just keep pushing or you cant afford them leaving
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 09:46:18 AM by GoldenGlory »

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.21.1
« Reply #547 on: September 27, 2022, 11:14:25 AM »

i couldnt tell you, every combat crashes so fast with that error that i cant really get any good feel for the framerate. the little i can see before someone fires a shot seem fairly stable, but thats not really that usefull i imagine.

Previously hotfixed.

the problem is that they retreat from everything, and i cant force them to not no matter how much i cancel the retreat.  a destroyer retreating from a crippled freighter because its combat readiness dropped below 50 percent should be grounds for a court martial and immediate dismissal at least, not the standard operating procedure of a pirate fleet that should be making out like the bandits they are, but are instead fleeing from helpless merchants way before they're actually down to a worrying combat readiness level.

on the subject of hilariously cowardly warships, try and join in a fight of an allied fleet against an enemy, you'll immediately engage the matrix as what i think is the reason warships disobey all orders to cancel retreats comes up, with a massive spam of retreat messages taking up the entire side of the screen that keeps duplicating every moment that the allied ship is on screen. it seems like its spamming the retreat order the entire time, cancelling out any orders otherwise. it was mildly handy before since it slowed the game down so heavily that i could be very precise with my antimatter blaster and shoot around the enemy shield before it could be brought up. i'm not sure if it works in the recent version though since i cant get it to run long enough to test

Spam retreat messages are previously hotfixed.  Working on spam retreat orders.

Xomi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 27, 2022, 11:53:33 AM »

Hi, Liral

Code
6369289 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
at listeners.DamageModel.applyCriticalMalfunctionToNearestModule(DamageModel.java:86)
at listeners.DamageModel.hitShip(DamageModel.java:143)
at listeners.DamageModel.modifyDamageTaken(DamageModel.java:299)
at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:67)
at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:59)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.E.A.A.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.E.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.E.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Got that issue, but it probably may be connected to new ApproLight DoT effect. No issues on old version, replayed one battle 3 times on new version and got that error 3 times.
I made a copy of that save before a battle, but it is semi-heavy moded.

Much appreciate your work, like this mod so much.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 11:59:07 AM by Xomi »

Liral

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 27, 2022, 12:38:52 PM »

Hi, Liral

Code
6369289 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
at listeners.DamageModel.applyCriticalMalfunctionToNearestModule(DamageModel.java:86)
at listeners.DamageModel.hitShip(DamageModel.java:143)
at listeners.DamageModel.modifyDamageTaken(DamageModel.java:299)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.E.A.A.o00000(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Got that issue, but it probably may be connected to new ApproLight DoT effect. No issues on old version, replayed one battle 3 times on new version and got that error 3 times.
I made a copy of that save before a battle, but it is semi-heavy moded.

Much appreciate your work, like this mod so much.

Hotfix 1.21.3 is out!  Fixed a null-pointer exception.

Xomi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Realistic Combat 1.21.3
« Reply #550 on: September 27, 2022, 01:37:23 PM »

Love you!

LeStinke

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 27, 2022, 02:46:16 PM »

Tried sifting through the thread to find anyone else with similar issues but couldn't, so I have to ask, is there something else I need to do besides changing ''totalConversion'':true to false in order to run this with other mods? It doesn't even show up in my plugins, as if the mod didn't exist in my SS/mods folder at all. I know for a fact it definitely does and I've double triple and quadruple checked the json to be sure it's right, but I can't even load this mod, I checked and it seems this was made for 0.95.1a RC6, which is the same version that I have, so that shouldn't be an isse, sides it should show up either way, just have a yellowed out name and the desc in the launcher telling you it's not necessarily compatible with your version of the game, no? In all my years of playing and modding starsector I don't remember ever running into this issue, weird. Help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance, the mod looks really neat and kinda what I always wanted from Starsector, just wanna get to at least try it out  ;D.

GoldenGlory

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 27, 2022, 04:29:17 PM »

Tried sifting through the thread to find anyone else with similar issues but couldn't, so I have to ask, is there something else I need to do besides changing ''totalConversion'':true to false in order to run this with other mods? It doesn't even show up in my plugins, as if the mod didn't exist in my SS/mods folder at all. I know for a fact it definitely does and I've double triple and quadruple checked the json to be sure it's right, but I can't even load this mod, I checked and it seems this was made for 0.95.1a RC6, which is the same version that I have, so that shouldn't be an isse, sides it should show up either way, just have a yellowed out name and the desc in the launcher telling you it's not necessarily compatible with your version of the game, no? In all my years of playing and modding starsector I don't remember ever running into this issue, weird. Help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance, the mod looks really neat and kinda what I always wanted from Starsector, just wanna get to at least try it out  ;D.

check the folder structure, it might be that its still in the same folder it was extracted in and you need to grab the folder of the mod out of that and put that in your mods

edit: never mind that, the new version has a typo in the mod_info.json that makes it not appear. if you open it up youll see theres a mysterious "il" before the { in the mod_info file, delete that and it should show up again. its helpfully highlighted in red in code editors
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 04:40:31 PM by GoldenGlory »

Slomes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 27, 2022, 07:09:59 PM »

actually i found a workaround, assuming you mean the blue ones and not the fixed ones. since they immediately retreat what you do is you dont deploy anything, just cancel the deployment. they'll flee in fear of your nothing but still waste their cr from the deployment, then since they all retreated you can pursue them, and they're kinda screwed, or if they think they can take you because their commanders inaccurately expected their ships to go down fighting, just let them do it again until their cr goes down to the point they try and flee, then you should still have enough cr for that brief window of time before your own ships turn tail and flee.
for the brownish fixed ones just keep deploying nothing till they kill themselves.

on the subject of that first thing, you'll probably want a mod called automated commands, you can put commands to retreat on low cr at various thresholds on your ships so they automatically try to retreat at whatever point you set, but critically it still lets you order them back into the fight if they're likely to win it if they just keep pushing or you cant afford them leaving

Ah yea smart, I will do the deploy cancel now too. Haven't thought of that!
I also use the auto commands mod together with advanced gunnery.
Feel like its a complementary must to RC.

mipacem

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 27, 2022, 07:17:56 PM »

man, i can ALMOST not go back to vanilla combat after playing with this; it's just the AI tends to get itself killed without player intervention, even against odds where it "should" win, but that's just my experience

thank you for the meal
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 76