Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AI autofire doesn't fire last round of ammo (ballistic weapons). As intended?  (Read 3478 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Just had a pretty close fight against a large hegemony defence fleet in which I lost everything but my Conquest.

Anyhow, the fight dragged on long enough for me to expend all (but 1) of my Gauss cannon and hyper velocity driver rounds. (even with expanded magazines!)

I recall reading somewhere that the AI auto-fire won't fire your very last missile salvo (though I'm not sure why anyone would want such behaviour).
Does this abnormal behaviour extend to all other ammo-based weapons too? If so, can someone explain the thinking behind it?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

That's a bug.

With missiles, though, it's all too easy to accidentally put them on autofire and waste a rack of Harpoons/Sabots/etc. Just not the kind of thing you want auto-firing, anyway - much more suited for manual control.

Autofire does with with high-ammo missiles, though - like the Pilum.

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile

It would be nice to have  a 'fire missiles' key/button (with an option of which bank to map it to, of course). I find switching weapon banks just to fire a missile and then flipping back really disrupts my tempo, so I'll sometimes put my missiles on auto-fire because I won't make use of them manually.

Kothar

• Ensign
    • View Profile

It would be nice to have  a 'fire missiles' key/button (with an option of which bank to map it to, of course). I find switching weapon banks just to fire a missile and then flipping back really disrupts my tempo, so I'll sometimes put my missiles on auto-fire because I won't make use of them manually.

Perhaps in the screen where you select weapon groups & autofire, there could be one more row for 'quickfire'? Which would mean pressing the button for the group fires the group instead of selecting it. I'd find this extremely handy for missiles, tachyon lance, and even antimatter blasters!

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile

Perhaps in the screen where you select weapon groups & autofire, there could be one more row for 'quickfire'? Which would mean pressing the button for the group fires the group instead of selecting it. I'd find this extremely handy for missiles, tachyon lance, and even antimatter blasters!

This. Oh my god yes, this.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile

Hmm, interesting. Might work very well with weapon group number 2.

I like this idea.

EDIT: Have you made the suggestion? You should.

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile

I've seen this suggestion on the suggestionsboard. So it's been floating around. Hope it gets implemented. Seeing this patch pretty much implementing every reasonable request on the suggestion forum it probably will be.

Kothar

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hmm, interesting. Might work very well with weapon group number 2.

I like this idea.

EDIT: Have you made the suggestion? You should.

I'll make a post on the suggestion right now!