Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Legion is too underwhelming?  (Read 16834 times)

Bummelei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Legion is too underwhelming?
« on: June 25, 2022, 03:48:38 PM »

I tried this ship in many configurations, but results always the same.
Legion is the capital ship which can only bully the lesser ships, and cannot stand against not just 40 dp capitals, but even cruisers.

For it's current dp and credit cost it feels useless. Player can easily get Dominator which frontal power is on the same level as of Legion, it costs much less money and dp, every loadout on it feels whole and complete without leaving empty slots and sacrificing everything just to get it work somehow, and it has higher burn level (I personally don't understand why it has the same map speed as Onslaught, while being the light battlecruiser\battlecarrier as Conquest).
Main problems of the ship is his extremely low ammount of OP, cruiser-like flux, and low burn level. In most times it's cheaper and more accessible for player to get Mora and Dominator, instead of using Legion.

The whole design and concept is amazing, but in it's current state it's garbage like LP Prometheus and it's kinda sad.

P.S. If you think otherwise you can share your loadout, i would appreciate this.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Legion is too underwhelming?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 04:07:28 PM »

Honestly I'd say being able to reliably bully lesser ships is a key advantage. It's not good at killing other capitals, but if it were it would be a battleship.

I use mine to back up my onslaughts and protect them while they duel the enemies capitalships.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 04:11:51 PM »

I think it is mainly about the 14th Legion and DA MISSILES!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 04:48:25 PM »

Currently Legions are basically a Dominator + 2 Condors strapped together, with better range, more coordinated fighters, but a wide open rear. I like Mk IX + Mjolnir, 4 Thunders, and 5 Torpedoes (or 5 Harpoons + supporting hullmods if using enough S mods to make it worthwhile and the rest of the fleet is on the Harpoon strategy).

They could use another 50 OP though. It is very different building an Onslaught with its pile of hullmods vs these which can do decent loadouts, but can't pile on hullmods at all.

Bummelei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 05:24:59 PM »

Honestly I'd say being able to reliably bully lesser ships is a key advantage. It's not good at killing other capitals, but if it were it would be a battleship.

I use mine to back up my onslaughts and protect them while they duel the enemies capitalships.
My thoughts about shipbuilding is: If a ship can reliably beat the same class - it's good. If a ship can go against upper class - it's amazing, and that's what i'm looking for.

Sadly Legion is too big and slow to run after frigates, destroyers, and light cruisers. At the same time the rest can, if not wipe the floor with it, but at the very least stand against it.

And as you said, if it's not a battleship, then why does it cost as much as Onslaught?

I think it is mainly about the 14th Legion and DA MISSILES!
Then why not simply use Conquest, or Astral both of which are a proper warships? Or at the very least P Atlas?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 05:26:10 PM »

Cause it also has 4 fighter wings, which are like ADVANCED MISSILES!

Bummelei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 05:31:14 PM »

Cause it also has 4 fighter wings, which are like ADVANCED MISSILES!
Then why don't you use Astral which has SIX hangars, and fighter-oriented system?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 05:39:30 PM »

Sometimes, I use one Xyphos for their burst PD to cover Legion's rear.  It is annoying that Legion does not have rear firing turrets to zap missiles, so Xyphos may be a tax to fix that weakness.

Legion is one of those ships that can benefit from Ballistic Rangefinder.  Put Hellbores in the heavy mounts, and railguns/light needlers in some of the light turrets.  It can beat SIM Onslaught, but it is at a disadvantage if using 900 range ballistics.  If using Gauss Cannons instead, then Legion can beat Onslaught if it tries to kite with TPCs.

I had to leave several mounts empty and use cheap fighters (except for one Xyphos sometimes).  I use Talon, Claw, Broadsword, and either Xyphos or second Broadsword.  I also do not use missiles because I do not have enough OP to get missiles and everything else.  (In case of Legion XIV, I prioritize missiles and maybe use four mining pods if short on OP.)

Sadly Legion is too big and slow to run after frigates, destroyers, and light cruisers.
That is what fighters are for, to seek and destroy the cowardly frigates and maybe destroyers than a capital cannot catch.  However, frigates need to get close, and Onslaught can just gun them down with Devastators, missiles, or other guns.

And as you said, if it's not a battleship, then why does it cost as much as Onslaught?
The same question can be asked after replacing it (Legion) with Conquest.  The answer is because Onslaught is strong for 40 DP, while Legion and Conquest are both weaker than Onslaught.

Bummelei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 06:48:58 PM »

Sadly Legion is too big and slow to run after frigates, destroyers, and light cruisers.
That is what fighters are for, to seek and destroy the cowardly frigates and maybe destroyers than a capital cannot catch.  However, frigates need to get close, and Onslaught can just gun them down with Devastators, missiles, or other guns.
Question is, why use capital size hull, instead of smaller one?

The same question can be asked after replacing it (Legion) with Conquest.  The answer is because Onslaught is strong for 40 DP, while Legion and Conquest are both weaker than Onslaught.
In comparison to Onslaught, Conquest is much easier to get, it has higher burn lvl, better logistic profile, mobility, and better support capabilities. And AI is much better on Conquest than on Onslaught.
But in player hands Onslaught is far superior in terms of firepower.

Legion on the other hand suffers from all Onslaught problems, while being worse than Conquest.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 07:04:04 PM »

... and AI is much better on Conquest than on Onslaught.
Now that's a hot take if I ever saw one. You should argue with the guy who started the battlecruiser thread, that'd be fun to watch.

As far as legion goes, it does perform better than an onslaught when outnumbered by destroyers/frigates because it can harass them with fighters while the onslaught just cries. Unfortunately, it's not so impressive as to justify how weak it is against other capitals. For reference, here's the build I tested in the missions tab (click random fleet until you get it) with AI pilot. Against 2 hammerheads and 3 condors it does pretty well, while I doubt an AI onslaught could handle it.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 07:09:17 PM by BigBrainEnergy »
TL;DR deez nuts

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 07:23:14 PM »

Question is, why use capital size hull, instead of smaller one?
You wrote that Legion was too slow to chase small ships.  Because Legion has fighters, it does not need to chase smaller ships personally.  The point was Legion does not need to chase small ships because the fighters do that job.  With most other capitals, either I need to chase the small ships, wait until they get into the capital's firing range (which they may not until they can swarm), or shoot a bunch of Harpoons or Locusts at them.

In comparison to Onslaught, Conquest is much easier to get, it has higher burn lvl, better logistic profile, mobility, and better support capabilities. And AI is much better on Conquest than on Onslaught.
In a fight, the only thing Conquest can do better than Onslaught is bombard enemies with missiles (and maybe double Gauss) from long range.  Anything else it can do in a fight (except for EMP damage), Onslaught does it better.  Conquest is too squishy to brawl in a shootout against a battleship.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 07:24:50 PM by Megas »

Bummelei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2022, 07:27:58 PM »

... and AI is much better on Conquest than on Onslaught.
Now that's a hot take if I ever saw one. You should argue with the guy who started the battlecruiser thread, that'd be fun to watch.

As far as legion goes, it does perform better than an onslaught when outnumbered by destroyers/frigates because it can harass them with fighters while the onslaught just cries. Unfortunately, it's not so impressive as to justify how weak it is against other capitals. For reference, here's the build I tested in the missions tab (click random fleet until you get it) with AI pilot. Against 2 hammerheads and 3 condors it does pretty well, while I doubt an AI onslaught could handle it.

>You should argue with the guy who started the battlecruiser thread, that'd be fun to watch.
Should i take it personally?

Why not using 2 MarkIX tho? In that case you can get rid of Rangefinder thus saving some OP.
And one more thing, Sir, it looks like you forgot your capacitors, pay more attention next time.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2022, 07:39:52 PM »

>You should argue with the guy who started the battlecruiser thread, that'd be fun to watch.
Should i take it personally?
Naw, I just like watching people argue. It helps me understand their perspective without needing to get into the weeds myself.

Why not using 2 MarkIX tho? In that case you can get rid of Rangefinder thus saving some OP.
I tested them, and even with the recoil reduction from armoured weapon mounts they miss much more often than railguns on top of the slower turning speed and lower flux efficiency. If the large slots were hardpoints I would go with Mark IX for the massive recoil reduction and because the turning rate doesn't matter. Plus, 2 dual flaks are better than a bunch of vulcans. They have less dps on paper but bring much more range and AOE damage.

And one more thing, Sir, it looks like you forgot your capacitors, pay more attention next time.
I'm just confused by this. Capitals don't need caps the way small ships do, so it's almost always better to squeeze in a few extra hullmods instead.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 07:46:26 PM by BigBrainEnergy »
TL;DR deez nuts

Bummelei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2022, 07:51:09 PM »

In a fight, the only thing Conquest can do better than Onslaught is bombard enemies with missiles (and maybe double Gauss) from long range.  Anything else it can do in a fight (except for EMP damage), Onslaught does it better.  Conquest is too squishy to brawl in a shootout against a battleship.
Gauss doesn't work, AI absolutely loves pushing F button on CD, and starts to sway in different directions, thus missing half of the shots because of the slow traverse of the turret. Quick turret turn hullmod doesn't do much in that case.

At least Conquest fires missiles and has ability to move around, while Onslaught helplessly twitching behind others unable to get into position.

Bummelei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2022, 08:00:12 PM »

I'm just confused by this. Capitals don't need caps the way small ships do, so it's almost always better to squeeze in a few extra hullmods instead.
Dunno about this one, i feel really unsafe when using battleship and it's flux capacity is less than at least 20000.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13