Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why isn't this game on steam early access?  (Read 8306 times)

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Why isn't this game on steam early access?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2022, 12:04:32 PM »

I disagree with the idea of this game's launch on Steam being its big time in the limelight.  IMO, this game has simply been in development for too long, had way too much attention put towards it, and had way too much polish put in it for the majority of people that would play this game to think of it as an exciting new release.  At this point, this game's launch on Steam would be much more like Cosmoteer's or Dwarf Fortress's launches, where many people just went "awesome, this game is on Steam now."  TotalBiscuit's video on this game a decade ago already sort of broke it out of the realm of pure obscurity, but SsethTzeentach's video 3 years ago sealed it and made this game a well-known title among games with similar audiences like RimWorld, Kenshi, Dwarf Fortress, or Factorio.  Practically, this game released years ago and people perceive new major updates more like Terraria's free major content updates than the game taking forever to finish.  Alex and the other developers have simply built a game that, after years of polish and development, doesn't need Steam to have a degree of success--only the developers can say whether or not this game is successful--and have an audience.  Releasing this game on Steam would just be a nicety at this point.

So in terms of answering "Why isn't the game on Steam yet" - What exactly are you saying, in regards to the OP question?
In layman's terms and (in your opinion) why hasn't Alex released via Steam?

My suggestion was simply him just wanting it to be finished before the wider steam community got their hands on it. I'd suggest that's a fairly reasonable assumption, but only Alex can confirm either way.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 12:08:04 PM by Ryan390 »

Supereor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2022, 09:33:05 PM »

I disagree with the idea of this game's launch on Steam being its big time in the limelight.  IMO, this game has simply been in development for too long, had way too much attention put towards it, and had way too much polish put in it for the majority of people that would play this game to think of it as an exciting new release.  At this point, this game's launch on Steam would be much more like Cosmoteer's or Dwarf Fortress's launches, where many people just went "awesome, this game is on Steam now."  TotalBiscuit's video on this game a decade ago already sort of broke it out of the realm of pure obscurity, but SsethTzeentach's video 3 years ago sealed it and made this game a well-known title among games with similar audiences like RimWorld, Kenshi, Dwarf Fortress, or Factorio.  Practically, this game released years ago and people perceive new major updates more like Terraria's free major content updates than the game taking forever to finish.  Alex and the other developers have simply built a game that, after years of polish and development, doesn't need Steam to have a degree of success--only the developers can say whether or not this game is successful--and have an audience.  Releasing this game on Steam would just be a nicety at this point.

So in terms of answering "Why isn't the game on Steam yet" - What exactly are you saying, in regards to the OP question?
In layman's terms and (in your opinion) why hasn't Alex released via Steam?

My suggestion was simply him just wanting it to be finished before the wider steam community got their hands on it. I'd suggest that's a fairly reasonable assumption, but only Alex can confirm either way.
Ah, that's a fair point; my bad.

My assumption as to why this game isn't on Steam yet would be that it's simply not done yet, Early Access has a horrible reputation, and people would absolutely complain about this game taking way too long to get updates.  Starsector itself has been in development for longer than Early Access has existed, and the game regularly takes more than a year to get updates.  While I do agree that the website and the way you buy this game are a bit... old-fashioned, they're a natural filter that prevents anyone from not knowing what they're getting into here.

Also, I definitely see where you're coming from; I just feel like while the game would certainly have a lot of new eyes on it, it wouldn't really be a gigantic influx of players since the game itself is still fairly niche.  The portals people would have to find this game anyway(YouTubers, word of mouth) already exist, and it would be best for people that--as the OP pointed out--are intimidated or weirded out by how you buy this game currently.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 09:37:10 PM by Supereor »

Fire-Dragon-DoL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2023, 08:22:51 PM »

Well, Dwarf fortress made "the big money" by getting on Steam.

I would totally buy another copy if it got on Steam (makes it easier to lunch on the Steam Deck).
Either way, this game already DESERVES to be on Steam due to the sheer quality. You can complain about Early access, but there are many beautiful games that have been on early access too.

Either way, just showing appreciation. I'm hoping to live long enough to see this land on Steam. I think a set of tutorials, guidance for spaceships and completed campaign would be enough for a full experience.

WhisperDSP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2023, 10:19:39 PM »

I think a set of tutorials, guidance for spaceships and completed campaign would be enough for a full experience.

Like these: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=19611.0

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2023, 10:36:22 PM »

why do we resurrect a months old thread about a topic that has been discussed to death...

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2023, 10:57:07 AM »

Probably due to frustration of waiting months and months for even an update, years for an actual version change..

Talando

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2023, 12:47:23 PM »

Nice :) And please also work to port it to Consoles and their marketplaces, as this game is fit for controller with arcade battles :) (or not if you play in auto like me and prefer strategy than arcade).

Talando

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2023, 12:51:57 PM »

why do we resurrect a months old thread about a topic that has been discussed to death...

I'm not replying out of frustration on opposite, lots of things going around this game and I wish it would get all credits it could.

Talando

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2023, 12:53:15 PM »

Anyways as being said, Epic deal exclusive coming.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2023, 01:01:27 PM »

Please do not post multiple times in a row, if you're the last comment just edit more thoughts jeez. Spam is against the forum rules.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Vocation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2023, 07:56:32 PM »

I still would like it on steam because steam workshop is still a lot better than manually modding the game or using nexus. Would also help out people who got steam decks to play the game more simply.

Updates might not matter too much if the base game is fun with better mod support. Look at how Rimworld and Kenshi did.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 07:59:44 PM by Vocation »

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2023, 08:35:20 PM »

It may be a bit more convenient for us it does come at a cost to the starsector team in the share that steam takes. Once the game is done they’ll probably port it over but as revenue seems to be holding strong, it’s not worth it yet.

Vocation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2023, 12:39:31 PM »

Its kinda difficult to recommend the game to others because the website looks kinda sketchy.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2023, 01:38:00 PM »

It's difficult to recommend because it's a very niche and complex indie game. Show this to someone playing Ubisoft games and they'll probably get overwhelmed and confused. Even showing this to irl people I know, that also like more in depth stuff, they had told me this wasn't their cup of tea.

But let's act that Steam early access is a smart idea. What point does releasing it there right now actually has? Or let's say the next patch which will be 0.96.1a. The game is 12 years deep in development, putting it on Steam all of a sudden when it's not finished doesn't make sense. I only see that happening if Alex is really hurting for cash, or he gets some sort of good deal.

These suggestions come up every once in a while yet I can't remember a time when someone looks at the situation from the dev's shoes, instead of going "I want it on Steam, pls devs". If only life was so simple where a decision has all net positives and pleases everyone.

EDIT: Just realized this is OP necroing his own thread, humorous.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Nick9

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2023, 03:50:21 PM »

trailer when            this thread was about steam but don't care
Pages: 1 [2]