Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: DP vs OP chart  (Read 8939 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: DP vs OP chart
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2022, 08:00:51 PM »

I haven't played much with missile ships, what is your Gryphon fleet build that can autopilot through Ordos fleets?
Squall, double harpoon pod, breaches, all in one linked group. Officer with TA, Missile Spec (elite) and SysExp. You will also put a converted hangar of your choice, but it doesn't really even matter, missiles obliterate everything from 2500 range anyway.

The issue I have with the "specific challenges require specific strategies" argument is that it simply doesn't apply to Starsector. You don't need different fleet comps to beat different challenges. Any fleet that dumpsters ordos also dumpsters any human faction fleet (the opposite isn't true), so the only strategies worth using are the ones that work against ordos. Anything else is "fake content".

Don't forget the new player experience, too. It doesn't feel good to find a nice fleet comp, s-mod your ships, fine tune officers... and then have to throw it all into trash because it doesn't work against remnants. Human fleets up to this point were all doable, the game never told the player he was "doing it wrong".

Cerberi with vulcans only are obviously not what I meant. Here the ship loadout is suboptimal, this should indeed be punished. Ships themselves being bad is the problem.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: DP vs OP chart
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2022, 08:35:52 PM »

I haven't played much with missile ships, what is your Gryphon fleet build that can autopilot through Ordos fleets?
Squall, double harpoon pod, breaches, all in one linked group. Officer with TA, Missile Spec (elite) and SysExp. You will also put a converted hangar of your choice, but it doesn't really even matter, missiles obliterate everything from 2500 range anyway.

The issue I have with the "specific challenges require specific strategies" argument is that it simply doesn't apply to Starsector. You don't need different fleet comps to beat different challenges. Any fleet that dumpsters ordos also dumpsters any human faction fleet (the opposite isn't true), so the only strategies worth using are the ones that work against ordos. Anything else is "fake content".

Don't forget the new player experience, too. It doesn't feel good to find a nice fleet comp, s-mod your ships, fine tune officers... and then have to throw it all into trash because it doesn't work against remnants. Human fleets up to this point were all doable, the game never told the player he was "doing it wrong".

Cerberi with vulcans only are obviously not what I meant. Here the ship loadout is suboptimal, this should indeed be punished. Ships themselves being bad is the problem.

There's definitely a gap in ship quality, but expecting perfect balance is unreasonable.

That being said, I'm willing to believe some ships are just too far behind the curve (there's definitely some too far ahead of the curve). Can you provide a list of ships you think aren't strong enough? I want to try them out and compare them to the other ships I have experience with, once with no leadership and once with leadership 5.

*Edit*
Well I guess the game is perfectly balanced. Nice.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 02:55:29 AM by BigBrainEnergy »
TL;DR deez nuts
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]