Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please add a mouse-ship-turn toggle (like SPAZ)  (Read 6944 times)

vehementi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Please add a mouse-ship-turn toggle (like SPAZ)
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »

In Starfarer to turn your ship you have to use keyboard, or hold strafe and it'll give you mouse turning.  I would prefer mouse turning of the ship by default (and all my turrets aiming at my mouse as well), with a modifier key I can hold down to maintain turret mouse aim but fall back to keyboard ship movement.  This is basically how it works in SPAZ and it feels a lot better to me.  A toggle in the menu to give "mouse turning by default" as if I were in "strafe mode" all the time would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Please add a mouse-ship-turn toggle (like SPAZ)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »

Hi there.

Once mouse turning is activated (by starting to strafe), you don't need to keep strafing to have it stay on - all you have to do is continue holding down Shift (or whatever modifier keys you've configured strafe to have).

Is that what you're looking to do? If not, would you mind elaborating?

vehementi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:47:57 PM »

I rebound strafe to A and D and put turning to Q and E, so shift isn't even in the picture for me.

Here is how I would ideally like it to be:

1) By default, ship is always turning toward my mouse cursor.  Turrets are always turning toward my mouse cursor.  Hitting A/D would cause side thrusters to try and make me strafe.

2) While holding shift, the ship would NOT follow my mouse cursor.  Turrets would CONTINUE to follow my mouse cursor.  Hitting A/D would TURN my ship. (Edit: actually I don't know whether that should turn or strafe.  In SPAZ it continues to strafe I believe, but I don't use that mode much).

Some sort of alternate strafe mode Options page thing to make it like this would be amazing.  I am new though, so maybe this would be disastrous (for some ships?) once I learn the game more, so perhaps a key binding to toggle would be good.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:54:06 PM by vehementi »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:01:43 PM »

I see what you're saying, thanks for explaining.

Just tried it out - added an "autoturnMode" config value to toggle this behavior to the data/config/settings.json file, where it'll stay for now.

I have to say, though, I don't like how this changes the feel of the game. It's almost silly that a small change like this would do it, but ships feel a less tangible and "heavy" when auto-turning is on by default. I think the feeling is that you are more detached from the ship, because it does something without you actively causing it.

You're right in that this wouldn't be good across the board - you definitely don't want that behavior for larger ships, which strafe poorly to begin with, and often want to go in one direction and shoot in another, thanks to turrets. You might not want this for faster ships that don't have to aim forward to fire, either (i.e., ones that have lots of turrets).

Btw, Q & E will be mapped to ship systems at some point in the future, so if you get too used to those for turning, you might have to remap systems to something else :) For the time being (until the next version is out), I think the default key bindings (A/D turns, Shift+A/D strafes) might actually work better for you. Or you just could add a second mapping to strafe that takes a modifier key. Even though you wouldn't use it, holding down the modifier key would still keep mouse-turning on.

Dibuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »

I like this Starfares controlls MUCH more then SPAZ's. In this, it feels like I'm controlling the ship (like for realsies), in SPAZ it's more like a pinball arcade.

But I guess the option is there for those gamers.

vehementi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »

My motivation for requesting this is that I absolutely loathe aiming with my keyboard (i.e. turning my ship with my keyboard so its front facing guns will shoot the enemy) and want to avoid it at all costs.

It took a while to get used to SPAZ's relative thrust but (A = port thrust regardless of direction) but it eventually got natural.  I can see why you would feel that the ships are "light" in SPAZ, even the large ones turn and strafe pretty quick.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 03:00:15 PM »

I also like Starfarer's control scheme far more than Spaz's.

Darkreaver1980

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:54:11 AM »

Same here, spaz controls like an simple arcade shooter while starfarer feels more like a simulation

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:04:09 AM »

My motivation for requesting this is that I absolutely loathe aiming with my keyboard (i.e. turning my ship with my keyboard so its front facing guns will shoot the enemy) and want to avoid it at all costs.

Yeah, I hear you. It's doable (and sometimes better) with the slower ships, but for fast-turning ones it can be hard - which is why strafing + autoturn are in the game.

You're generally not firing your main guns all the time, though. Also, moving the mouse is the way you pan your view around, so having it constantly linked with the ship turning wouldn't be desirable for that reason.

Alendor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:39:53 PM »

i say why not have it.  players like options, and if it was that easy to add, may aswell allow players to have the option.  I myself came from SPAZ, so i that was a more natural method, however at the same i see pleanty of opportunity for not using it, with omni shields, directional dmg and what no.  however at the same time it would be real nice to have for fine tuning your aim and what not.