Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Edge case related to cross-faction imports?  (Read 468 times)

StudentRadio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Edge case related to cross-faction imports?
« on: April 17, 2022, 11:09:29 AM »

Hi!

I might have encountered a weird edge case related to cross-faction imports. I'm posting about it here because I used the Console Commands mod to increase my colony size from 3 to 6, so it might be mod-related. I also edited my save file to test different situations, so it might be that.

My colony has a demand for 8 ship hulls because of High Command. It also has an Orbital Works that produces 4 ship hulls. Its accessibility is 65%, and that's enough for it to import 4 hulls cross-faction. No shortage.

If I edit my save file and add a custom accessibility modifier to decrease the accessibility to 55%, the colony still imports 4 hulls cross-faction and has no shortage.

But if I decrease the accessibility to 45%, which should still be enough to import 4 hulls, I unexpectedly have a shortage of 4 hulls. The breakdown says "+4 Base value for colony size (Orbital Works); +4 Desired import volume (in-faction); -4 In-faction shortage (max in-faction production source has 4)". (In case you're wondering, the Orbital Works' demands are met by in-faction imports.)

I did a bit more testing with different levels of production and demand. The explanation I've come up with is this: It looks like the game will only use a cross-faction import if the number of units it could import is greater than the in-faction supply. In the 45% accessibility case above, I think it says, "I could import 4 hulls cross-faction, but that's not more than the 4 I can get in-faction, so I'll use in-faction sources." It ignores the fact that the 4 it could import cross-faction would be added to the 4 produced locally and would fully satisfy the demand. (Chicomoztoc has 10 hulls and 123% accessibility.)

Can anyone verify this with a non-modded game? Or possibly explain what I'm missing?

Thanks!

Starsector 0.95.1a-RC6
LazyLib 2.7b
Console Commands 2021.12.25