Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More Hooks for Modding  (Read 334 times)

Hotpics

• Ensign
    • View Profile
More Hooks for Modding
« on: April 12, 2022, 03:36:43 AM »

Dear Alex.

I'd like to ask if it is possible to provide hooks in regard of "Supplies" and "Fuel" used for ships to function or be repaired.
One biological faction I made relies on mining ressources: ore/transplutonic ore/organics/volatiles for their ships.
Repairs / Fuel /Maintenance / Fighter replacement and such.

The second faction is centered around the number of crewmemebers present or how I like to call them, The Boyz.
Their combat effectiveness scales heavly with the number of crewmembers present, be it space combat or groundbased combat.
If sufficient numbers are present they generate energy themself that fuels their spaceships, not relying on antimatterfuel or supplies while traveling.
They love "Krumpin" others, a hint how they function overall.

The above is to be seen as explenatory for this purpose. I think it would be helpful for modders if there is a possibility to chose how and what
item is used in a desired way for a modfaction and I often see an abundance of organics/ores being present in the game but not used.
The latter got me into the ideas above and what led to a full conversion of the game. Maybe you could provide mentioned hooks in the game.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 03:38:24 AM by Hotpics »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: More Hooks for Modding
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:22:14 AM »

This sounds like it's all already doable - you can give your ships a custom hullmod that, for example, reduces supply/fuel use based on available crew, or that consumes non-standard resources (and reduces CR or the like if they're not available).

Now, you won't get this to cleanly hook into the current UI; the ship summary info is still going to show supply costs even if those are zero. But the actual effects you can do.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Hotpics

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: More Hooks for Modding
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 10:32:45 AM »

I think you missunderstood something here. It is not about how one can make it work, your suggestion with a hullmod was my first iteration.
But to have a hook, somthing which is present in the  game to assign certain items to be consumed or displayed as "Supplies" for ships would be helpful.

In general i wanted to ask Alex if he could implement hooks where mods can hook into, be it Industry / Ships / Markets  etc.