Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.2 - 03/27/24  (Read 244257 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.11 - 02/03/24
« Reply #600 on: March 24, 2024, 04:32:59 PM »

Hey Dazs, I saw your request to Histidine on the Nexerelin thread and wanted to ask if it would be just as easy to make the delay in Hiver activity variable from 1 to X number of years so that players who like to take their time exploring and doing the Galatia missions don't feel rushed to need to be in a position to save the sector so quickly?  No worries if not, I just wanted to see about the possibility.
Hello there Shogouki, always a pleasure to hear from you. I tried several iterations of code to get it to work until I reached out to Histidine. I am self taught and when there are holes in what I can do, I try and figure it out myself so I can learn along the way. I had a hard time finding examples of how Nexerelin handles invasions, though I did figure out how to adjust their fleet strength, I just could not find a function that adjusted the time they start invading so I figured my next best option is to reach out to the person that maintains the code for Nexerelin.

I settled for a 1 year wait as a baseline but hopefully if my code structure is correct, I can make that 365 into a variable number that a player can change to their liking. I am just hamstrung by my lack of knowledge and hopefully Histidine can point me in the correct direction. I am sure there is a way to do what you suggest but essentially I do not know what I don't know if that makes sense. 

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 24, 2024, 05:05:00 PM »

Perfectly understandable, I just thought I'd ask just in case Histidine does know how to make it a user defined duration so you could bring that up to him.  I'm not even a newbie coder so I completely understand if it's more trouble than it's worth but thought I'd ask just in case it turns out to be a simple addition to your mod.  I know Kaysaar has a user defined delay in AotD for NPC factions sending out science expeditions so I thought it might definitely be worth it to ask if the same thing were possible with a faction becoming "active" or hostile.  Again, no worries if it's more trouble than it's worth!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 26, 2024, 02:21:56 AM »

Perfectly understandable, I just thought I'd ask just in case Histidine does know how to make it a user defined duration so you could bring that up to him.  I'm not even a newbie coder so I completely understand if it's more trouble than it's worth but thought I'd ask just in case it turns out to be a simple addition to your mod.  I know Kaysaar has a user defined delay in AotD for NPC factions sending out science expeditions so I thought it might definitely be worth it to ask if the same thing were possible with a faction becoming "active" or hostile.  Again, no worries if it's more trouble than it's worth!
Hey there Shogouki, sorry for the delay in responding, things have been a bit rough IRL. No worries at all, I think it is a good idea and plan to implement it if I can. I am still awaiting a response from Histidine that will hopefully shed some light. In the mean time I will try again to go over the code in Nex and see if I can figure something out. So stay tuned, my free time is limited atm but I do plan to still work on my mods as I can.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 26, 2024, 02:58:09 AM »

Oh no worries!  Real life should always take precedence and on top of that you don't owe anyone a quick reply, just the fact that you put any time at all into making these wonderful mods available is a gift.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 26, 2024, 03:49:56 AM »

Oh no worries!  Real life should always take precedence and on top of that you don't owe anyone a quick reply, just the fact that you put any time at all into making these wonderful mods available is a gift.
Aww your so sweet :)

Edit: I just received a reply on the Nexerelin thread as I was posting this reply. Apparently there is no API for a faction specific invasion delay so my initial idea is a no go. Histidine did give me a direction that I can investigate but it is uncharted territory for me so I guess stay tuned to the brave adventures of the intrepid hero Dazs as he tries to wrap his head around Java! :D

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 26, 2024, 02:14:50 PM »

Oh no worries!  While it would be cool it's certainly not a necessary change so please don't let it distract you from other things you'd like to do.

Though I was wondering if it's possible to make the Hivers just inactive, like completely and not just invasions, until a certain trigger.  It was only recently that I learned that Legio won't start spawning their daemon fleets until certain conditions are met and wondered if there were possibly other ways to restrict the Hivers that would effectively prevent them from invading even if there's no specific way to deactivate just invasions.  I wish I felt like I had the mental energy to learn Java to explore modding Starsector.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 26, 2024, 04:58:36 PM »

Oh no worries!  While it would be cool it's certainly not a necessary change so please don't let it distract you from other things you'd like to do.
It's cool, Hiver is next in line for an update so any suggestions are welcome.
Though I was wondering if it's possible to make the Hivers just inactive, like completely and not just invasions, until a certain trigger.  It was only recently that I learned that Legio won't start spawning their daemon fleets until certain conditions are met and wondered if there were possibly other ways to restrict the Hivers that would effectively prevent them from invading even if there's no specific way to deactivate just invasions.
That is the first I am hearing of that so it'll take a bit of a deep dive to see if I can do it. That is an interesting idea and I'll look into it this week and see what I can do.
I wish I felt like I had the mental energy to learn Java to explore modding Starsector.
It is quite the journey starting from zero. There are several guides on the forum and the discord if you are truly interested. I've been doing this for three years and am still picking up things so yea it is a lot of mental energy but it is not like you have a deadline to meet. What I did to keep me focused was I started with an idea for a faction mod and asked myself:
  • How that faction formed?
  • Why they formed?
  • Does it add anything new to the game?
  • If it does, what is the reason this new faction made the ship designs I made for them?
  • What role are they trying to fill that is not already available?
Starting with those questions I used them to guide what I was trying to do. The faction purpose was the core focus and the ships were about how that faction brought that theory to life. I could say the same about a utility mod. I made ore refinery because I had an irritation that every time I came across a mining station I would have to dump all that lovely ore into space because no fleet could handle all that in their cargo. That irritation led me to think about how it could be handled. Essentially what I am saying is, if you want to make a mod then inspire yourself. You may find yourself making more than you realize you are currently capable of.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.2 - 03/27/24
« Reply #607 on: March 27, 2024, 04:26:53 PM »

v1.1.2 released today - Save compatible with v1.11
   -Changed the numbering system for the mod versions going forward using the standard decimal format - example this update would have been 1.12 and is now 1.1.2
   -Added instructions on how to change the difficulty level of the mod to the README file and Forum OP that outlines all the optionals
   -Added Sundog's Ruthless Sector mod as a recommendation on the forum OP since it adds Remnant fleets in hyperspace that will intercept Hiver invasion fleets (and you :))
   -Added no_drop and no_sell tags in unrecoverable_ship_data for the Caelifera, Scarabaeidae, Gangis and Creatonotos -TY Joejoemyo for noting my oopsie :)
   -Added a new optional file to make wings unrecoverable - Instructions to enable it is in the README and forum OP - TY Joejoemyo for the idea
   -Added instructions to the README and Forum OP on how to manually adjust the difficulty level of the mod
   -Added a ZIP with pre-configured setting files that are intended for a more vanilla plus playthrough with few mods enabled for players who do not want to do the above manual adjustments - instructions in the README
      -The files in the ZIP lower their aggression, halves the invasion and colony fleet frequency, lowers their officer & ship quality, the number and size of ships in a fleet, and turns off saturation bombing
   -Added instructions to the README and Forum OP on how to delay invasions using the LunaLib mod settings for Nexerelin on the game menu - Note, effects ALL faction invasions      
   -Updated the version checker to the latest version of Starsector
   -Updated the replacement ships ZIP to the current version of the mod (1.1.2)

Sorry it took me so long to release this optional difficulty update since Demiurge asked for it on February 19. It has been requested a couple times after but what really spurred me was Spaceboi deciding to discontinue his you tube series due to how much he was struggling playing against them in a lightly modded game. Included in this update is a new file labeled Vplus.zip that has preconfigured difficulty settings for a more vanilla play. I tested several iterations of difficulty before finally settling on what I think is balanced for a less modded game by using Sapceboi's posted enabled mods as a baseline:
Spoiler
enabled Mods:
 "aotd_lost_glory",
  "Cryo_but_better",
  "aod_core",
  "aod_vos",
  "lw_console",
  "fleetsizebydp",
  "HIVER",
  "lw_lazylib",
  "lunalib",
  "MagicLib",
  "MoreBarMissions",
  "MoreMilitaryMissions",
  "nexerelin",
  "swp",
  "speedUp",
  "which_industry",
  "shaderLib"
[close]
There are also instructions on how to manually adjust them to your specific wants but I figured using Spaceboi's mod list as a baseline for the ZIP represented a vanilla plus game with not faction mods enabled.

Also I apologize for it all being manual adjustments but my brain just cannot seem to figure how to integrate Lunalib.

Enjoy!

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 27, 2024, 04:29:29 PM »

Oh very awesome, thank you!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 27, 2024, 11:49:09 PM »

Oh very awesome, thank you!
What a nice comment to wake up to!  ;D

allehator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 30, 2024, 11:54:28 AM »

Excellent work, really enjoying this one. Extra points for mod being so customizable so that everyone could find the setup closer to one's taste. For best immersion it is probably better to turn off salvaging of Hiver hulls and weapons (they are not human after all).

Is it possible to turn off Hivers giving bounties? :D

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 30, 2024, 12:24:46 PM »

Excellent work, really enjoying this one. Extra points for mod being so customizable so that everyone could find the setup closer to one's taste. For best immersion it is probably better to turn off salvaging of Hiver hulls and weapons (they are not human after all).
Hello allehator, nice to hear from you again and thank you for nice comment. Personally I play with them not salvageable so they have a more alien vibe but when I had that as the default I was asked multiple times to make them salvageable as the default. That was the start of my making them adjustable and I have spent so much time making this mod as flexible as possible that it so nice to hear it is appreciated.
Is it possible to turn off Hivers giving bounties? :D
Um maybe? I honestly am unaware if that is something that can be done since it is so prevalent in the game. They should not post any magic lib bounty board bounties but I am unsure if I can turn off the ones that the game just tosses out randomly. I'll look into it once I am done the TTSC update I am working on atm and the promised CFT update after that. No ETA on that since it will take some deep diving and I am unsure where to start at this stage, so um, stay tuned I guess :)
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]