Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ballistic rangefinder tooltip QoL  (Read 938 times)

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
Ballistic rangefinder tooltip QoL
« on: February 21, 2022, 06:49:17 AM »

This suggestion came about after a small convo about ballistic rangefinder on discord - the desc. is kinda convoluted and could do with some cleanup / clarification.

The easiest way to do this imo would be to add a post description section that displays what weapons are getting their range boosted (and optionally why), in a similar way to the missile prefabricator hullmod from more hullmods.

missile prefab tooltip
[close]

Supraluminal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Ballistic rangefinder tooltip QoL
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 07:57:42 AM »

This suggestion came about after a small convo about ballistic rangefinder on discord - the desc. is kinda convoluted and could do with some cleanup / clarification.

The easiest way to do this imo would be to add a post description section that displays what weapons are getting their range boosted (and optionally why), in a similar way to the missile prefabricator hullmod from more hullmods.

missile prefab tooltip
[close]

Yep, one way or another, that tooltip desperately needs to be reworked. I would even go so far as to say the actual mechanics of the Rangefinder might be too complicated if it takes an essay-length tooltip to explain how it works.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 09:24:03 AM »

It's also misleading in that it sounds as if it would always buff 800/900 range hybrid weapons by 100 units, or that it would buff large hybrid weapons by 100 units.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 10:20:27 AM »

Yep, one way or another, that tooltip desperately needs to be reworked. I would even go so far as to say the actual mechanics of the Rangefinder might be too complicated if it takes an essay-length tooltip to explain how it works.
Neural Link makes Ballistic Rangefinder look simple, even if Rangefinder is more verbose than most else.

Supraluminal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 12:51:45 PM »

Neural Link makes Ballistic Rangefinder look simple, even if Rangefinder is more verbose than most else.
For sure, explanatory text could use a clarification pass across the game. I agree that Neural Link in particular is a real eldritch tangle of words.

I do also think some of the more finicky mechanics that lead to these elaborate descriptions might be unnecessarily complex, like I said. Maybe some things could be reworked to achieve the same goals in a simpler fashion. Probably not going to end up high on the priority list though.

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 03:38:50 AM »

Phase mechanics are also complicated since last patch, and i dont think its explained in game anywhere.