Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tech mining drops  (Read 4041 times)

serp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Tech mining drops
« on: January 26, 2022, 05:21:20 PM »

How do you best optimize these? Does having industrial planning or an attached alpha affect the rare item quantity/quality in the first or later drops?

The formula for the first drop is definitely different from the subsequent ones, as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:27:43 PM by serp »

MrTwister

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Tech mining drops
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 10:53:55 PM »

To be honest I'm starting to think they are a waste of time. In my current game I techmined 3 vast ruins, 3 extensive ones and a couple widespread - not a single Domain item dropped. I got maybe 3 useful blueprints overall - just not worth the effort. Had industrial planning but no alphas.

serp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 11:20:16 PM »

To be honest I'm starting to think they are a waste of time. In my current game I techmined 3 vast ruins, 3 extensive ones and a couple widespread - not a single Domain item dropped. I got maybe 3 useful blueprints overall - just not worth the effort. Had industrial planning but no alphas.

well yes, it undoubtedly sucks objectively, but the first vast ruins I tried gave me exactly and only one of the two things I was looking for, so I wondered if I should keep it up, and how to make it work best

Okawal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 01:24:31 AM »

I would say the vaste ruins are still worth it: with the story point upgrade and an alpha core i got atleast one alpha core or an artifact (sometimes you get the corrupted nanoforge...) at the first dig. Also i typical got one more Domain artifact after 12-16 months of mining (2-3 vast ruins at a time). After around 3-5 cycles i would abandoned the colonie (depends mostly on the finding of a new unspoiled vast ruin)

So from personal experience i would hold off on vast ruins till you have atleast an alpha core to put on the building.

I did some extended ruins but never got the feeling they provide anything close enough to justify investing 2 story points into them.

If you want no specific Domain Artifact i would invest the story points into the vaste ruins and not the history-magicman (as you will get around the same amount of extra artifacts but without the increase in cost).

EDIT: One high-roll game i had was 1 pristine nanoforge + 4 Hypershunt taps + 3 minor artifacts (plasma dynamo, biofactory embryo, spoolthing[uncertain if it was from mining or just the vast ruin itself]) + 2 corrupted nanoforge within 5 vaste ruins (they were full upgraded + core)

Was the weight of Hypershunt taps changed? i found them quit often through techmining on different runs (especially from the monthly digs)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 01:45:39 AM by Okawal »

serp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 01:44:01 AM »

I would say the vaste ruins are still worth it: with the story point upgrade and an alpha core i got atleast one alpha core or an artifact (sometimes you get the corrupted nanoforge...) at the first dig. Also i typical got one more Domain artifact after 12-16 months of mining (2-3 vast ruins at a time). After around 3-5 cycles i would abandoned the colonie (depends mostly on the finding of a new unspoiled vast ruin)

So from personal experience i would hold off on vast ruins till you have atleast an alpha core to put on the building.

I did some extended ruins but never got the feeling they provide anything close enough to justify investing 2 story points into them.

If you want no specific Domain Artifact i would invest the 2 story points into the vaste ruins and not the history-magicman (as you will get around the same amount of extra artifacts but without the increase in cost).

EDIT: One high-roll game i had was 1 pristine nanoforge + 4 Hypershunt taps + 3 minor artifacts (plasma dynamo, biofactory embryo, spoolthing[uncertain if it was from mining or just the vast ruin itself]) + 2 corrupted nanoforge within 5 vaste ruins (they were full upgraded + core)

Was the weight of Hypershunt taps changed? i found them quit often through techmining on different runs (especially from the monthly dings)

so that stuff does affect the rare item result? Do you know for sure or is this an anecdote? I was thinking the SP and alpha might be pointless since the salvaging skill/modifiers have been changed to have nothing to do with rare items anymore
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 01:45:46 AM by serp »

Nimiety

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 01:47:48 AM »

Run em until you get the text that the ruins have been 'comprehensively combed over' on hover then close them
Don't leave anything at the colony so you can close it without having to visit (unless its vast, then for sure put an alpha core + story point it for 50% extra loot)
Don't bother growing the colony past size 3 or building defences
Soak some mismanagement penalties and operate a couple extra tech mines at a time for more finds. Your tech mines only need 1 stability to not decivilize, the finds are not affected.
Make sure you make a note somewhere so you don't accidentally try to tech mine the same planet twice (never tried actually, but maybe you could rename the planet before abandoning it?)

This is how I found most of the domain tech items in my current game. Can't really do it if you've already started the colony game, sadly

Okawal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 02:20:35 AM »

If you want no specific Domain Artifact i would invest the 2 story points into the vaste ruins and not the history-magicman (as you will get around the same amount of extra artifacts but without the increase in cost).

Was the weight of Hypershunt taps changed? i found them quit often through techmining on different runs (especially from the monthly dings)

so that stuff does affect the rare item result? Do you know for sure or is this an anecdote? I was thinking the SP and alpha might be pointless since the salvaging skill/modifiers have been changed to have nothing to do with rare items anymore

In the last update there was bug which caused a reduction of findings if you used an alphacore / storypoints. This bug reduced the amount of items (artifacts) you would get. As the fixed only involved a single line change, i would say YES UPGRADES AND ALPHA CORE INCREASE FINDING OF ALL THINGS INCLUDING ITEMS

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 03:43:39 AM »

go to here ---> https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=23546.msg352067#msg352067
it is a mod that makes tech mining actually worth an industry slot.

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 05:05:20 PM »

The Slightly Better Tech-Mining mod is nice. Using story points to make tech mining never run out is too beneficial. I don't use that feature.

I'd also recommend the Terraforming and Station Construction mod. It adds a lot of nice things to the game. With some effort and diminished income you can set yourself up with a steady supply of AIs.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 05:32:15 PM »

Have tech mining output commodities like they originally did now that factions will not raid size 3 planets anymore.

Euqocelbbog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 12:25:42 AM »

I just set up temporary tech mining colonies, let it run for a while and then close up shop. Since the cost is minimal and you don't need to bother defending you can start up very early on. Build a waystation and you've got a convenient resupply point out in the frontier. By the time you're ready to put down roots you'll probably have netted a nice bundle of AIs, blueprints, and colony items.