Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Share your 0.95.1a-adventures  (Read 1167 times)

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
Share your 0.95.1a-adventures
« on: December 12, 2021, 11:35:31 PM »

Mine so far (still being a noob):
Of the first four starts, in No. 1, 2 and 4 I died within minutes to pirates. No. 3 was only slightly better, but after some successful exploration contracts, a weapon-crate attracted a pirate-fleet in a system with only 1 jump-point, so that run ended there.

Now to No. 5:
Got successfully out of the starting system (yay) and completed the first exploration.
Then, on the way to the second one, just south of Samara, there was a derelict ship floating through hyperspace.
It wasn't the usual frigate
It wasn't a destroyer or cruiser either.
It was a Conquest (D) class Elite Battlecruiser with only 2 d-mods.
*dices-roll*
*greed check failed*
Took it, went back to Samara and sold the wayfarer and the shepherd to outfit the conquest with ther wepons.

Beware! Mortrag Huntington, the explorer in a battlecruiser, sneaking around [REDACTED].
It worked surprisingly well.

But also got my first fight with that beauty:
Found three drones while exploring something. Closed the interaction and saved the game, because, who knows (and because being a noob).
Turned out that numerical superiority doesn't help, if it's just three drones against a partially armed battlecruiser.
So let's see what comes next.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Share your 0.95.1a-adventures
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 04:00:42 PM »

Recent report:
I've reached the 100 houres and played today the same battle for five houres. Managed to beat it after half the time, but wasn't happy with my performance, so kept training it.

It was only a small battle, 3 ships on my side vs. 4 enemies, but it felt like I learned a lot about the battle-flow of Starsector.
Like, about proper weapons choice, controlling the behaviour of enemy ships, distinguishing between hits I have to take on the shield and hits I can take on the armor and also that looking away from the flux-stat for one second can lead to certain death.

But it would have been nice, if occasionally this hasn't been so frustrating.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 06:39:26 PM »

A lone capital ship is interesting and quite challenging...a horde of junk can kill it simply because the target ship being focused on can fall back from the wolf....the AI sometimes does very well with presenting an endless wall of enemy ships that swap with each other based on their flux state.  Meanwhile the lone wolf has nowhere to fall back to de-flux. 

The supply/fuel costs to get the wolf to a battle, and then is the battle cost more in supplies than what is won, etc.   The sweet broadsides of a Conquest though make a solo-ish run intriguing...

When I return to the game after a long break, I'm in noob mode.  At fresh game start I buddy up with a fleet mate...i.e. I support the buddy, and/or fall back to them.  As my ship and my fleet gets larger, my buddy may change.  Other variations:  that "buddy" the linchpin ship that I know I need to keep alive to win...so I keep an eye on it.  Just getting the buddy to cause the enemy ship I'm focused on to pivot, drop or raise shields, etc. at the wrong moment can be enough to get a kill.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 07:00:45 PM »

The last thing I did was fight three near-endgame bounties in a row...

I have both Hull Restoration and Field Repairs.  I always pick up enemy ships with one d-mod, occasionally more if I really want the ship.

After killing the first bounty, I recovered from the enemy a pristine Vanguard, Hammerhead with one d-mod, and with two d-mods, Enforcer, Eagle, and Monitor.  I armed them with loot and a few weapons I bought from Black Markets for later.  Next fight, instead of risking my Tempests and Scarab against big ships, I sent the three new two d-mod ships into battle.  They survived the second battle and were sent to fight the third battle.  Afterwards, I looted another Vanguard, and scuttled the Enforcer and Monitor (because I have the blueprints and can build new pristine ones cheap if I want them).  I might have scuttled the Hammerhead too.  I brought the Eagle and Vanguards home.

I might start doing this again.  Bring some spare weapons, and throw recovered enemy ships back at more enemies, and live or die, they probably will end up as scrap.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 07:03:12 PM by Megas »

MrTwister

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 07:24:06 AM »

About 15 cycles in (cycle 221) playing 0.95.1 with Nexerelin and Industrial Evoluition, 1000 battle size and a few extra ships, also up to 14 Officers for both me and AI.

Things are getting epic and the Hegemony is on the rampage, they subdued Sindrian Diktat and got all their colonies and taken a couple from Tri-Tach and Persean League too. Having some huge fights, especially against pirates with their attacks and vengeance fleets with s-mods.

All nations are expanding too and there are around 12 completely new colonies for all factions inside the core and around 10 extra spread up to 20ly from the core and my big system with 7 colonies 30ly from the core. My colony powehouse is getting started and got myself some nice fleet loadouts, including a very heavy 540 DP one.

Looking for some epic struggle to end the Hegemony domination of the sector - they have around 40 colonies at this stage and all other factions combined own around 70 more colonies/stations, so sector colonization is currently between 110-120 worlds and stations.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 04:52:06 PM »

Played a 0.95.1a game with Audio Plus, HTE, Interstellar Imperium, Nexerelin, SpeedUp, Tahlan, Underworld, XhanEmpire and the necessary libraries. Fell back to my usual use of fast, warping, high tech ships. Built up a nice empire but then grew bored with further play.

Started a 2nd 0.95.1a game with Apex Design Collective, Audio Plus, Dassault-Mikoyan_Engineering, HMI, Interesting Portraits Pack, Interstellar Imperium, Kyeltziv Technocracy, Legacy of Arkgenisis, Nexerelin, Osiris Alliance, Outer Rim Alliance, prv.Starworks, Scy Nation, Slightly Better Tech-Mining, SpeedUp, Terraforming and Station Construction, Unknown Skies, VAO and the necessary libraries.

Mods I really liked in this 2nd start: Slightly Better Tech-Mining and prv.Starworks. Nexerelin, of course, is such a great mod.

This 2nd start, I disabled Hegemony, Tri Tach, Luddic Church and Path. Forced myself to use new ships. Got rid of annoying AI raids by Hegemony. Disabled Luddic Church and Path because they caused too many easy, boring battles. Been having a lot of fun with this and have built up a nice empire using tons of AI on my planets. Thinking of trying to take planets from the most aggressive, expansive faction which are the Kyeltziv Technocracy.

One thing I'd warn against is adding a faction mod that doesn't have their own battleships. Fleets full of mostly only that faction's cruisers is not that great for the game.