Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good frigate harrasing carrier?  (Read 2444 times)

coolio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Good frigate harrasing carrier?
« on: January 16, 2022, 11:02:15 PM »

In most of my battles I have been splitting my fleet into three squadrons usually, the center force and two lighter groups too flank around or hold the flank. I have been trying trying to build a carrier to hopefully follow behind either of these two groups. I don't usually use any carriers beyond an XIV Legion and a Mora if I find one, so bear with. My first attempt was a Condor which was obviously far too slow. My second and ongoing attempt is a Drover but its also just too slow.

So is there a better pick beyond the Heron? Maybe convert someone's hangars? And what fighters should I be using? Reading the forums Talon seems fine for this and I havent heard much great things about bombers this patch, which I really dont think I should be using against frigates. Maybe Warthogs?

or maybe I should just forget about having a fast carrier follow behind these small fast ships and leave it behind our lines?

Thanks if your still reading ;D

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Good frigate harrasing carrier?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 11:31:01 PM »

Yup, for the fastest carrier you're looking at the Heron! Bombers work fine this patch, but you are right just aren't very good vs frigates because the frigate just dodges. Atropos from Daggers are the exception as they can hit frigates reliably, but the dagger itself is only 175 speed so has trouble catching fast enemies.

To hunt frigates, you are going to want interceptors, but Talons are a bit too light weight beyond the early game. The best choice are Thunders because, beyond being blazing fast, they also have a larger engagement radius than the other interceptors so the carrier doesn't need to be as close. Condors struggle a bit to pack in 2 thunders, but Herons can fit 3 with no trouble at all. Warthogs aren't going to cut it, because most frigates (and even some destroyers) can just outrun them. If Thunders aren't available or you don't have enough to fill the decks, then Gladius' do quite well (and have higher firepower than thunders) and pair well with a claw wing or spark wing. The whole pack of fighters travels at the speed of the slowest wing to stay together (when not already fighting, where they accelerate to full speed), so mixing speeds tends to be a bit of a waste.

One tip and what I do is to put my anti-frigate carriers into a control group (by selecting them in combat and pressing control and a number like in RTS games). That means that to call for the quick end of any frigate all I need to do in the tactical screen is click the number and then right click the target.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 12:52:04 AM »

Another interesting thing to try might be destroyers with converted hangars on the flanks. Officers boost the two green carrier skills a bunch but carriers don't need more than 1 or 2 skills. Converted hangars would let you max out the 8 wing skill bonus while keeping officers in combat ships. Splitting up fighter wings over multiple ships also gives more area coverage since you don't have 3 wings traveling together.

Alternatively, Safety Overrides on a Mora is extremely mean and greatly benefits from an elite Point Defense skill, same as fighters!

MrTwister

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 01:52:30 AM »

Yep, just load up on Thunders and bye bye frigates. They need good critical mass though - about 9 packs should do.

FenMuir

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Fen Muir Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 07:34:16 AM »

Try these two in conjunction with each other. Have the Blitzkrieg guard the Medley.
Medley Mora:
Spoiler
[close]
Blitzkrieg:
Spoiler
[close]