Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New 0.95.1a playthrough /w Mods (What do you want to see?)  (Read 2329 times)

FenMuir

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Fen Muir Youtube channel
New 0.95.1a playthrough /w Mods (What do you want to see?)
« on: February 14, 2022, 10:04:16 AM »

So after finishing the Path to Elden Ring and Elden Ring playthroughs, I'll be starting a Modded Starsector 0.95.1a run. The current mod list is "everything that is blue except Archean Order" from the Mods Index. This includes Nexerelin.
Do you have any specific recommendations? Anyone know what combinations from that will actually work together? Will "everything that is blue" actually work? Either way, we ought to have a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 10:05:47 AM by FenMuir »

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New 0.95.1a playthrough /w Mods (What do you want to see?)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 10:32:45 AM »

I play relatively vanilla with my mods but here's what I use and for what reasons:

Spoiler
  • A new level, fast or normal doesnt matter much save for what galaxy size you play on. I like going the level 40 version cause no upper limit means you can be fairly flexible with your builds and change out fleets as needed, your only limitation being good officers to find.
  • Starship Legends, to make the gameplay more unique. Since you are probably going to constantly use your favorite ships and you know how to loadout them properly, can make gameplay interesting. It also makes gameplay harder on the reverse end of things, depending on what generated fleets are loaded out with.
  • Kazeron Navarchy, cause I like how they look and having something strong enough to diametrically oppose the Hegemony's own special fleets seems neat.
[close]

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 11:04:13 AM »

Legacy of Arkgenesis - one of the few factions that doesn’t mess up sector economy and ship sprites are vanilla friendly

The Star Federation - [REDACTED] mmmmm

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

DesperatePeter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 11:07:41 AM »

"Everything that's blue" sounds like a clusterf*ck, but might be fun. It will probably be very straining on your system, but if you have a PC with good RAM and a good CPU it might work.

Personally, I try not to go overboard with faction and content extension mods.

Also, I believe there are multiple mods that change stuff about colonies/skills, not sure if they will all play nicely with each other.

If I can make a request, I would love to see some gameplay of someone using my mod (Advanced Gunnery Control). That would probably be a huge help in optimizing the user experience.

My personal favorites are Varya's Sector (it has not yet been officially updated, but there is an unofficial updated version), Tahlan Shipworks and all the nice utility/QoL/misc mods (SpeedUp, Automated Commands, Persean Chronicles, Unknown Skies, Combat Chatter, Leading Pip, Which Mod, ...)

FenMuir

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Fen Muir Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 11:36:43 AM »

"Everything that's blue" sounds like a clusterf*ck, but might be fun.
That is the idea. If it is a cluster, it'll probably be entertaining for viewers. ^_~*
I would love to see some gameplay of someone using my mod (Advanced Gunnery Control). That would probably be a huge help in optimizing the user experience.
That mod is Blue, so it would be prospectively included.
My personal favorites are Varya's Sector (it has not yet been officially updated, but there is an unofficial updated version), Tahlan Shipworks and all the nice utility/QoL/misc mods (SpeedUp, Automated Commands, Persean Chronicles, Unknown Skies, Combat Chatter, Leading Pip, Which Mod, ...)
I'll have to look into Varya's. The other ones are mostly, if not all, blue I think.

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 01:03:56 PM »

I would strongly recommend reading the mods before installing and activating them. Some are not compatible with others.

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 01:19:48 PM »

Please, please, DO read what the mods do first, especially the non-faction ones.

Take my three mods for example: Stellar Networks is pretty agnostic to a playthrough (adds intel), but Starpocalypse can BREAK the game for you. As for Transponder Off, it may be useful or straight up annoy you. Or in between, where you will decide to enable some functionality while disabling the rest of it.

In other words, have a REASON why you are adding that mod. Unless your main reason is to cause a chaos in your playthrough.

Either way, do play few days off-screen to make sure your mod combo is stable.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 01:21:30 PM by Jaghaimo »

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 02:01:05 PM »

I find faction mods tend to be too disruptive save for Nexerelin, unless you do a complete randomized sector start. Cause unless they are modded to exist on the fringe parts of the sector (And you play with small sector) then they will overlay on parts of the sector and mess with things like the main story quest (The ring gates or what have you).

I wouldnt even really use Nexerelin. The AI is already colonizing long before you and they grab the best worlds first, even if they haven't been discovered or surveyed by you. And with how unbalanced it is between the hegemony & persean league vs all the other factions, unless you set up your own worlds first, one side or the other will get most of the factions on their side and win. At least using the vanilla core sector. Randomized really changes things up and makes it more balanced tbh.

If you plan on using it with the vanilla sector, I would hold off on adding it in till you get your own operation going, so that way they dont resolve the game quickly and the other factions get time to build up their own empires.

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 08:48:19 PM »

As far as specific recommendation(s) go:

CONTENT
Nexerelin
- Dramatically expands on the campaign layer, making things much more dynamic
- Can definitely result in a very difficult early game depending on your starting conditions

Ship and Weapon Pack
-Adds ships, weapons, as well as unique ""boss"" ships

Tahlan Shipworks
- Similar to Ship and Weapon Pack, but flashier. Lots of additional goodies are added that you can come across during exploration. Also adds the Legio Infernalis, a ""boss"" faction. (Although, they probably only really get up to things with Nex)

Secrets of the Frontier
- Adds new combat objectives, such as defensive emplacements or objectives that reinforce your ships with drones over time. Also one of the few mods with quest content

QOL
Stellar Networks
- Basically, uh...space google? This makes it easier to find specific hulls, fighters, or weapons you're looking for. Honestly worth it just for the freaking contact calling feature.

Flux Reticle
- replaces the default cursor during combat with a reticle that displays flux level.
It also allows you to toggle "strafe and turn to cursor" behavior during battle by pressing "K"

MISC
Combat Chatter
- ships make various statements based on their current condition (being overloaded, running out of missiles, etc)

GraphicsLib
- Probably will need it eventually,especially if you want to go mod heavy

LazyLib
- Ditto

MagicLib
- Ditto