Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trading: pirate base vs pirate activity  (Read 878 times)

Hal900x

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Trading: pirate base vs pirate activity
« on: February 13, 2022, 09:03:48 PM »

Hey all,

I find that trading is the single most lucrative activity in the sector, in highly unbalanced measure. I noticed that the opportunities for high-value smuggling/trading are in systems with pirate battles active vs the local faction. In my Intel screen I have both "pirate activity", and "pirate base". Some of the latter have a bounty quest, some do not. I'm wondering what the difference is, since the former also tells where the base they are raiding from is. Are they functionally the same, particularly with regard to my chosen profession?

PS: what is the point of doing anything else, credits-wise?

Nimiety

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Trading: pirate base vs pirate activity
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 10:04:52 PM »

Exponentially growing income makes the credit bar go to the moon. Not very fun, though. I usually only interact with the markets to make a quick buck or to find a place to unload salvage from unfortunate smuggler convoys encountered in hyperspace. Otherwise it just turns into 2D euro truck simulator.

Here's a hot tip if you're trading around Sindria! Purchased ships offset blackmarket commodity purchases really well. Expand your fleet and scoop up cheap goods at the same time.

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Trading: pirate base vs pirate activity
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 08:39:29 AM »

Trading with pirates/luddic path is very effective early/mid-game if you dont want to sell out to a faction. It comes with its own risks though.

Ive found taking kickbacks from a faction is generally easier, especially if you are going high-tech like tri-tach and want quicker access to the best ships or are just someone who prefers exploration and find playing the market game to be too monotonous and repetitive. Late game when you are experimenting with fleets and fighting Ordo systems, you will need your own worlds for fleet building, hence getting out there and exploring has some value because it all feeds into fighting the tougher fleets.

Having your own worlds gives you exponential amounts of money compared to smuggling with none of the risks of your cargo being seized by factions or having to tank reputation. Then after that you start cornering larger shares of the market to make that number go up by blockading and decimating some of the core worlds who hold the shares you want. Not taking a commission paycheck after you have your own worlds means you wont get dragged into their wars and allows you to improve faction relations with pretty much everyone and having your goods going into all markets makes that credit number go way up.