Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Officers should cost much less per month, but charge you when they're deployed  (Read 1260 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Inspired by feedback for ruthless sector as well as other suggestions for addressing the same problems (e.g. https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=23746.0).

Officers can be a significant expense until we get an empire up and running that churns out credits, but the only way to manage that cost is to permanently fire them. In practice, this leads to new players unintentionally bloating their expenses before they can afford it. Those of use who know better will weigh the long term cost against the benefits of hiring new officers, and may avoid deploying officers to avoid giving them a raise, but it's always a bit weird and annoying to find a level 7 officer that won't be able to pull their weight for several years.

Making officers cost much more money to deploy than to simply keep around is the simplest solution to these problems that I've thought of.

baxt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Those of use who know better will weigh the long term cost against the benefits of hiring new officers, and may avoid deploying officers to avoid giving them a raise, but it's always a bit weird and annoying to find a level 7 officer that won't be able to pull their weight for several years.

Even when you know better it's very painful to have to pass them over since a ship with an officer vs without is absolutely night and day, It can turn a otherwise useless ship into a space brick that just won't die or killing machine. I like this solution though, much simpler

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Just let us store extra officers at colonies, with 10% pay same as unused admins.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I would really love if you could store officers. Lots of ships want specific sets of skills, and rebuilding officers (or starting new campaigns) to test different strategies is a major PITA.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Sounds great to me! Storing them in colonies also solves the problem of just having unused officers in the refit screen costing less encouraging micro. There's not much micro when the change is only possible when visiting home base.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It would certainly make exploration after bounty hunting less annoying, since you won't have to pay 20k salaries for a bunch of loafers.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I would really love if you could store officers. Lots of ships want specific sets of skills, and rebuilding officers (or starting new campaigns) to test different strategies is a major PITA.
That's a major benefit that my suggestion wouldn't have.
You know, I was considering adding officer hazard pay/deployment costs to ruthless sector, but maybe I'll make a standalone mod called "officer storage" instead... (or, better yet, wait for someone else to do it  ::))

Rishel

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Definitely yes! Officers in the early game are money sink and finding level 5/7 ones while exploring always ends in a dilemma. Should I really keep it? I like to find "shiny" stuff like level 7 officers but it is a kind of poisoned gift at the time you get them.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile

I'd like that idea applied not on regular officers but instead on mercenaries.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I’m very much behind storing officers.

Tangential, but if you have a military base or high command, officers on planets with those buildings earn XP/month or some % of the XP from battles even while they’re stored. Just seems to make sense thematically and gives some incentive to shell out for an upgraded Patrol.