Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Safety Overrides and my love/hate relationship with it  (Read 8608 times)

pponmypupu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Safety Overrides and my love/hate relationship with it
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2022, 12:31:00 PM »

I'd argue SO's best feature is that it makes AI behaviors less frustrating to watch. I'd argue that flux dissipation isn't what makes the SO experience enjoyable but its speed boost (though it's certainly nice). Giving AI some speed to work with makes a world of difference. Countless times I've seen AI bunch up inefficiently losing out on DPS because they block each other from rotating in and out of the battle line. Or just sitting at range never fast enough to maneuver into a position where it can fire without FF for a majority of the fight. These things happen just as often with SO fleets with the difference being that they work through these issues much faster which results in better positioning which means more DPS applied which leads to expected results which means less frustration. Having speed means better rotations, better positioning, less time spent "retreating while suppressing endlessly", and better fleet behavior overall, which is its greatest appeal to me.

Nightstrasza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2022, 12:44:17 PM »

Wish there was a setting that disables it, together with phase ships. Don't care what other players do in their single player game and the use of those by AI is minimal (ludics are fine, the random phase ships are annoying but tis not phase hate thread anyway), what I don't like is when ppl boast how they shove SO on everything, call it skill and ask for game to be more challenging, duh, maybe stop using op things instead of making the ships getting nerfed for everyone else just bcs it overperforms with SO (of course it does, the flux and speed bonuses are stupid good), there's a reason why capitals can't have it, wouldn't mind if it made ships malfunction or explode randomly for all I care. Btw, if you let things smaller than capitals have SO, why not capitals then?, if we stick to logic, if we can hotwire some crap in a dominator, don't see how it would be different to do in an onslaught... unless you say "for balance" then for balance remove it completely since it makes things better than a not SO capital.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2022, 12:46:47 PM »

Wish there was a setting that disables it, together with phase ships. Don't care what other players do in their single player game and the use of those by AI is minimal (ludics are fine, the random phase ships are annoying but tis not phase hate thread anyway), what I don't like is when ppl boast how they shove SO on everything, call it skill and ask for game to be more challenging, duh, maybe stop using op things instead of making the ships getting nerfed for everyone else just bcs it overperforms with SO (of course it does, the flux and speed bonuses are stupid good), there's a reason why capitals can't have it, wouldn't mind if it made ships malfunction or explode randomly for all I care. Btw, if you let things smaller than capitals have SO, why not capitals then?, if we stick to logic, if we can hotwire some crap in a dominator, don't see how it would be different to do in an onslaught... unless you say "for balance" then for balance remove it completely since it makes things better than a not SO capital.
Exactly, pretty much every brag post or video includes either a full SO fleet, or an SO flagship, boring people be boring I guess. Also yeah good point about the balance, latest example is Hyperion, ship that without SO is hardly worth the price, and with SO it becomes a scary predator.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2022, 02:05:47 PM »

I don't like SO, but my solution is to ignore it. Alex doesn't seem to balance fights with SO in mind, as far as I am aware, and so long it doesn't happen, I am unaffected by it. It's hard for me to gauge how much it affects the average player, though, since I can still compete without it.
Btw, if you let things smaller than capitals have SO, why not capitals then?, if we stick to logic, if we can hotwire some crap in a dominator, don't see how it would be different to do in an onslaught... unless you say "for balance" then for balance remove it completely since it makes things better than a not SO capital.
I remember an explanation that mounts on some capitals could become unusable due to the range penalty.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2022, 02:11:27 PM »

I don't like SO, but my solution is to ignore it. Alex doesn't seem to balance fights with SO in mind, as far as I am aware, and so long it doesn't happen, I am unaffected by it. It's hard for me to gauge how much it affects the average player, though, since I can still compete without it.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I just have a hunch it'll happen EVENTUALLY, since there so many guides and videos out there abusing this mod and making certain parts of the game look easy.

pponmypupu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2022, 02:13:58 PM »

boring people be boring I guess.

this seems pretty judgemental/condescending especially for a single player game. Is this really about SO to you or is it more about not liking the way other people play a single player game and making posts and videos about it?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2022, 02:17:02 PM »

Relax, I'm not calling out anybody. It's just annoying to have a discussion about a ship, or you know, general fleet composition for new players be actually informative and interesting, but then see that half of the comments are "just put SO lmao". Hence the "boring" part. It wasn't meant to be an attack on anyone here.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2022, 02:44:26 PM »

Yeah recommending SO to new players is kinda like telling them to circumvent some of the combat mechanics rather than actually learning them. It's not that you're not allowed to do it, it's just that you miss a lot of interesting and enjoyable combat interactions/nuances when all your ships have insane dissipation and speed but terrible range.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2022, 02:54:11 PM »

If SO is the only way to make a ship good, I use it (provided I use the ship)!  For example, nu-Hyperion before the latest release.  Lasher in early 0.8 when it was too slow to catch other cowardly frigates.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2022, 03:42:42 PM »

I've never had anything but dislike for SO. I find it game-warping in a toxic way with how overpowered and cheesy it is. It has always felt like cheat codes in old school games, only bad because it is built into the base game. "Add this hullmod to turn any warship into a go-kart with chainsaws attached!".
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Gergin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2022, 02:39:24 PM »

What if Safety Overrides was something that only Low-Tech ships could install?  Thematically it doesn't make a ton of sense to take some super high-tech piece of equipment like a Hyperion and then essentially jury rig it.
Would help drive home different fleet compositions having a different "feel" as well.  I like to make themed fleets/playthroughs instead of just min-maxing everything and each type of ship having access to some unique hullmods would be a step towards that.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2022, 03:12:59 PM »

Low Tech ships seem to have longer peak performance times. They're also less mobile than energy-wielding high tech ships so SO covers their major flaw.

That's pretty consistent with ignoring or exceeding manufacturer-recommended ratings in reality. Exceed the recommended max rounds per minute on some mass-produced Soviet weapon and the barrel will bend and lose accuracy. Do the same on a high-tech precision-engineered superweapon and the barrel will bend, gaskets will melt, and weight-saving plastic components might catch fire and release toxic fumes onto the user.

The skills in the current patch mostly improve fleet performance by scaling endurance (PPT, armor) rather than damage (flux, +% damage) so Safety Overrides with a bunch of PPT boosts are real good. It still feels balanced on the campaign level once you take mid-to-late game enemy fleet sizes and early-game supply cost of CR degradation into account.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]