Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battle orders and their true meaning : why is the AI so disobedient  (Read 1542 times)

TontonBoo

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Communication is hard. We want to say something, something slightly different comes out, something even more different is heard and in the end what is understood is very different from our original intent. This is what happens here. So I'll transcribe what you say (WYS) and what they hear (WTH). "They" being your fleet's captains and crew. And you'll see why battles don't always go the way you want.

Attack (E on enemy ship)
WYS : A-ten-hut ! Your mission today is to destroy that target as best you can and ASAMFGDP. You know the score. That'll be all ! Dis-missed !
WTH : Hey guys it's me. Could some of you please keep an eye on this guy and watch what he's doing ? Shooting him would be better but always think safety first. If you're not confident in your own abilities bring a buddy or two and please don't overdo it. You know I care. A lot. Please be safe.

Fighter screen (S on enemy ship)
WYS : Divert all fighter crafts to target Alpha ! Aggressive approach vector and power to the shields ! Watch for point defense and use your superior mobility to confuse the enemy ! Stay in tight formation for maximum effect ! And keep those carriers safe !
WTH : So here's the thing : I need all you carriers to rush this guy. I know you're big and slow but that's exactly the point.  If you can launch fighters and combine your attacks that would be great but if not just get in his face one by one and try to block his view. That'll teach them.

Eliminate (C on enemy ship)
WYS : Priority Alpha One ! This is not a drill ! HVT confirmed ! To all ships lock and load and blow him out of my space ! On the double !
WTH : Okay so now let's be serious for a minute. They are really anoying this time around and especially this guy so maybe you could just try and get as close as possible as fast as possible even if everything around shoots you half dead. Then when you're close enough to look em in the eye and your ship is just about to be torn apart use everything you got and then just to be sure blow yourselves up. One at a time would be great.

Defend (D anywhere or on a ship)
WYS : This zone must be secure whatever the cost and since we know we can't trust them to respect our private space I want an around the clock patrol & recon plan. And I want it done yesterday !
WYH : Could you go there and check what's happening ? In fact I think we need most of you to go and check. Even better: all ships go there and wait for my green light before doing anything. If I somehow forget that you're there and all hell breaks loose just wait. I'll  remember at the best of times and you'll save the day. Probably.

Full assault
WYS : This is it people ! The moment we turn the tide ! For honor ! With valor and courage ! No mercy ! Chaaarge !
WTH : Look at them trying to mount a counter assault with their puny little ships. Adorable. Let's show them what happens when we outnumber then 5 to 1 for a change. And don't forget to have fun. I love this job.

Full retreat
WYS : The odds were against us but we showed valor and courage in the face of oblivion. Victory eluded us but we shall return stronger than ever ! We will survive and someday regain our honor. Those we lost today will not be forgotten and we will avenge them. If I don't make it it's been an honor.
WTH : Run away you morons don't just stand there ! This is all your fault for being idiots my strategy was perfect. Perfect ! You just can't seem to do what you're told. I hate you all so much. And I hate this job. I should've listened to my mother and become a banker. I can't take this anymore. I'll be taking that first escape pod thank you very much. Computer. Initiate F9 protocol. (Variant for really angry loss : Computer ! Initiate altF4 protocol !)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 03:35:49 PM by TontonBoo »

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Battle orders and their true meaning : why is the AI so disobedient
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 05:29:24 PM »

You forgot Tactical Retreat.
I wasn't always a Judge...

JudasIscariot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 02:49:48 PM »

WYS: Deploy the second Legion!
What they do: 720 degree spin on entry and proceeds to die.

Yes, I literally had a Legion enter the battlefield, spin like a ballerina without firing a single shot, and then die :P

TontonBoo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 10:47:23 AM »

I literally had a Legion enter the battlefield, spin like a ballerina without firing a single shot, and then die

Pacifist crew ? Conscientious objector for a captain ? Or perhaps the helm was playing Galaga ? We'll never know...

JudasIscariot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 03:54:21 AM »

I literally had a Legion enter the battlefield, spin like a ballerina without firing a single shot, and then die

Pacifist crew ? Conscientious objector for a captain ? Or perhaps the helm was playing Galaga ? We'll never know...

I don't know how or why it happened. I had a steady officer at the helm so who knows lol