Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ship cost and everything around it (ranting a bit)  (Read 2865 times)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship cost and everything around it (ranting a bit)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2022, 02:03:46 AM »

It would be interesting if there were bits of history to be found on the ruins, like it held on until X date and then collapsed.
Now that would be a good reason (yet another) to go exploring.
Even better if each ruin you got history from saved it's 'entry' into your log so you'd eventually have a kind of potted history of the sector.
And that could be used as the basis of a quest chain - possibly historian related. I imagine those guys are going to be fairly keen on knowing history stuff.

cakemaker01

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2022, 08:08:08 AM »

There's also the Starpocalypse mod.

it looks really cool, thanks!

Impetus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2022, 08:20:50 AM »

Judging by how incredibly advanced domain tech actually was it's fairly believable to say that the sector is a backwater compared to what it was before. The [Ultra-redacted] stuff implies that the domain wasn't just a vast spacefaring civilisation, they were running around with weapons that breaks the laws of physics, and the gates and their planets were fueled by the hypershunts (which harvest energy directly from stars and then transport said energy light-years away). Compared to that, fusion reactors and shells are very antiquated.

And the vast fleets of space ships demand nanoforges to be built, but as far I can tell no one actually knows how to make more, and as such the sector is definitely in a downward spiral, because the current technology base has an expiration date. The sector will keep dwindling as long as they cannot make new nanoforges, because the forges are the backbone of all their industry. Without the nanoforges the sector can only produce d-modded garbage, and the supply of heavy machinery, supplies, heavy weaponry and ship hulls will dwindle away to nearly nothing (as even a damaged nanoforge increases the output by one unit, which is implied to be a factor ten for every unit, so a world with a pristine nanoforge produces a thousand times more ships than a world without it).

I don't think humanity will disappear from the sector entirely, but right now one of the most important part of the economy, the manufacturing, is slowly disappearing and as such the sector is in a decline until either someone rediscovers how to create nanoforges or the sector loses all their nanoforges and has to rebuild their civilisation without them.

Astasia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2022, 10:05:03 AM »

To me it kind of feels like frigates should cost 2x, destroyers 3x, cruisers 4x, and capitals 5x. Trade goods, fuel and supplies should have their value cut in half, mostly to curb the ability to earn millions so quickly through trade runs. Commissions should probably also be reduced to like 30% of what they are. I also don't think you should be able to salvage any cruisers or capitals, or they should always have a lot of d-mods and those d-mods should be more detrimental. A capital with 5 d-mods is basically free to run and still kicks the crap out of most early content.

Overall the game feels very arcadey right now, there is no economic pressure and within minutes of starting the game you can have like multiple legions in your fleet. The only real motivation to earn money is in building up your own planets, where one building costs more than a battleship. Even that can be easily afforded with a single trade run though.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2022, 10:38:40 AM »

It's interesting to compare this experience to the "my AI ships are getting slaughtered" beginner experience.

I like the idea of the starpocalypse mod (no black markets with beacon on, etc) but still remember being new enough that every bounty fleet was an all-in gamble, and the always-low supply counter a stressful ticking clock. Has the game gotten significantly easier with the recent patches?

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2022, 10:51:03 AM »

Has the game gotten significantly easier with the recent patches?

That's kinda difficult to empirically measure.  What is hard for one person is easy for another.  Plus, there is literally an easy mode for the game (even if it is apparently often ignored).  Also, there are the help pop-ups that most peeps seem to ignore or disable (myself included).  But game prolly has more hints now!  But at least the skill system isn't so wacky anymore, curious of the opinions of those who first bought game in last 9 months regarding the skill system wrap-around mechanic (easy to understand?  Ridiculous?  Arbitrary?  OK?  Reasonable?).  But not gonna run a poll regarding this, it has already changed.

I will say that Sseth's video explaining "how-to" smuggle prolly did make early game too easy for some peeps, but that is entirely dependent on whether such an individual has actually seen said video... But I can say with at least some authority that the game's "difficulty" is almost two track, since most peeps seem to have fewer issues mastering the campaign side (fuel/supply economy, trading, etc.), but mastering the combat side is definitely a steeper curve of difficulty!
I wasn't always a Judge...

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2022, 01:14:03 PM »

Judging by how incredibly advanced domain tech actually was it's fairly believable to say that the sector is a backwater compared to what it was before. The [Ultra-redacted] stuff implies that the domain wasn't just a vast spacefaring civilisation, they were running around with weapons that breaks the laws of physics, and the gates and their planets were fueled by the hypershunts (which harvest energy directly from stars and then transport said energy light-years away). Compared to that, fusion reactors and shells are very antiquated.

Exactly, this is my thoughts as well. Seems like the domain had very advanced technology, just that the tech we see are the easier to replicate stuff. Like if for some reason a small European country was the only remaining in tact place on earth they would still be able to make stuff like guns and tanks.
Pages: 1 [2]