Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Different manufacturers.  (Read 9635 times)

DukesOfDevon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Different manufacturers.
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »

Bear with me, I tend to ramble.

So a cheap supermarket sausage is still a sausage, and performs well covered in ketchup and mustard, but is not as nice as the higher meat content branded ones. These in turn are nowhere near as good as farmyard sausages.

Ditto guns. Put assorted 9mm pistols on a bench, they all lob lead the same way, but will perform differently. I'd love to see this sort of thing in game! For example:

Refurbished or Salvaged Tactical laser (all stats 5% lower than normal)
Sigma shipyards Tactical laser (normal, 5% longer range)
Tri-Tac E mod Tactical laser (3% less flux, 5% more damage)
Tri-Tac Mil Spec Tactical laser (5% better all stats)

It would add a nice 'random' element to the shops 'n' drops, not much 'real' effect in the game, but a little tweak for depth.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Different manufacturers.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »

Lovely idea for game flavour; I fully support it. 8) The variations are refreshing without being annoying.

In fact, I would further suggest that the range of effect for these performance tweaks be stretched a bit more. 3 to 5% isn't going to be noticeable to a player in actual battlefield conditions. If the range of effect is, say, 10-12% (plus or minus), that would be more worthwhile. My personal preference would go closer towards 15%, but I don't want to open up this wonderfully gritty & realistic suggestion of yours to fanatic cries from others of being a backdoor means of sneaking too-overpowered weaps into the game. Therefore, 10%-ish works for me.

You could likewise have slightly different magazine capacities, re-arming intervals, etc. too. I'd be reluctant to make Ordnance Point ratings subject to the same variation, though.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »

I'd support something like this for ships (maybe), but I don't think I'd like it for weapons for two reasons:
1) The inventory screen, which can already be hard to navigate, would become a nightmare to manage.
2) Using two of the same weapon with different manufacturers would be rather difficult. For example, lets say we have a Lasher with two railguns in the hardpoints. One railgun is standard with the usual stats, and the other has +15% range, -20% accuracy. Hitting a target with both of those weapons simultaneously would be a large challenge.

I'm still not crazy about the idea for ships either, but if random statistics were to go in, I'd rather they be ship-wide.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »

I'd support something like this for ships (maybe), but I don't think I'd like it for weapons for two reasons:
1) The inventory screen, which can already be hard to navigate, would become a nightmare to manage.

Only if these changes were implemented across the entire gamewide arsenal. If it were perhaps used on only a half or even a third of weaps within each size class, then it wouldn't be as tricky to tip-toe through.

2) Using two of the same weapon with different manufacturers would be rather difficult. For example, lets say we have a Lasher with two railguns in the hardpoints. One railgun is standard with the usual stats, and the other has +15% range, -20% accuracy. Hitting a target with both of those weapons simultaneously would be a large challenge.

I think I'd relish that challenge! :D

Yes, the original poster's thought has imperfections, but I'd still like to see it implemented. Even if it's nerfed-back to encompass hulls only.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

DukesOfDevon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 01:58:22 PM »

It is for precisely the reasons the fellah above stated that I'd only like to see minor variations in weapon performance, ok the inventory would be an issue I hadnt really considered, but from what I've read here the UI is undergoing constant changes, the are going to be more additions along the way and maybe a filter/browse by category approach (or similar) would also be nice *OT*

As to ships, yes I think minor changes between hulls would also be nice, but remember they're supposed to be either old builds or new blueprints, so the differences in Starfarer ships would only realistically be the materials used for component synthesis and construction. Again, I'd stick to minor tweaks to a few stats, just for flavour rather than any genuine advantage.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 02:25:09 PM »

Eh... while I think combat-wise this would not be game breaking, I am moderately against anything that leads to grinding... which is where I see something like this going long term.

I know many people enjoy the 'gotta get the best thing' aspects of games, but I'm not really one of them.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »

Horrible idea for all the reasons stated in above posts.

It clutters up the shops and, messes up combat cohesion. All that for changes that are minor enough not to really influence the game to a useful degree?

Just no.

Besides we already get range increases from points we capture on the map.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 05:54:25 PM »

It clutters up the shops and, messes up combat cohesion. All that for changes that are minor enough not to really influence the game to a useful degree?

Just no.

Can't express this better. The weapons variety is already great as it is right now!

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 06:12:56 PM »

Just no.

Besides we already get range increases from points we capture on the map.

on the shops:

i imagine this will get changed further down for an easier time to search for weapons. so citing "clutter" as a legit reason for this not to be thought of, nor implemented, is really moot.

on the usefulness:

i don't think you fully appreciate nor get just how much 10% extra anything can really sway the direction of things.

Eh... while I think combat-wise this would not be game breaking, I am moderately against anything that leads to grinding... which is where I see something like this going long term.

I know many people enjoy the 'gotta get the best thing' aspects of games, but I'm not really one of them.

meh? you do know that one of the planned features is industries right? so all you'd have to do is just chill at your factories(or feed somebody elses factories) till whatever it is you want pops out.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:18:42 PM by Catra »

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 06:17:02 PM »

I wouldn't say it's a moot point at all. The need to further filter things just to find the right weapon, just to get a few more variants that add or remove percentages that small just isn't worth it in my view. Besides, hull mods do just fine for little tweaks like that

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »

meh? you do know that one of the planned features is industries right? so all you'd have to do is just chill at your factories(or feed somebody elses factories) till whatever it is you want pops out.

Oh yes, I can't wait to have to camp to get basic equipment.  :P

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »

Snip
So, in your head these weapons would be fairly easy to come by, making the standard weapons useless. And even with an upgraded inventory system, going through all of that crap would still be a large pain in the ass.

And one of the bigger reasons this wouldn't work: All of these weapons and ships come from blueprints, meaning that no matter who the manufacturer is, the weapon or ship is going to be identical to everything else produced.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »

All of these weapons and ships come from blueprints, meaning that no matter who the manufacturer is, the weapon or ship is going to be identical to everything else produced.

A point of lore: in the days of the Domain, different manufacturers had different blueprints for similar weapons. In some cases, the weapon designs are so similar that no in-game distinction is made.

For example, all the "Light Machine Gun" weapons you see in the game come from all sorts of different blueprints (and manufacturers), but the stat differences aren't enough to make a distinction.

We'll possibly add a couple of manufacturer-specific weapons at some point - this is an idea that's been kicked around internally a bunch, but hasn't quite matured yet.

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 06:38:28 AM »

Just no.

Can't express this better. The weapons variety is already great as it is right now!

Agree 100% plus hull mods change specs on weapons anyway.   ;)

Cordacc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »

I really like the idea of weapon manufacturers so that not every weapon is exactly the same. As long as the bonuses aren't that high it would just allow more customization. It worked really well in borderlands and I think it could add a lot here, however it might be more trouble than its worth, coding wise.
Pages: [1] 2 3