Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Shield Shunt 0.9.5.1a  (Read 4092 times)

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Shield Shunt 0.9.5.1a
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2021, 11:35:59 AM »

Keep in mind the MJOLNIR is an energy weapon; solar shielding DOES help against that beast of a gun, even without shields.  If you find one of your ships constantly flickering shields when it should be just armor tanking, shunted shields are the way to go.  Remove a decision point and the AI becomes much more focused on its job.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 02:13:03 AM »

I feel like shield Shunt should be buffed and less dependent on stacking bonuses. It feels like a good idea contingent on way too many secondary elements, I can't think of another hullmod that requires so many things to be viable.

The hullmod by itself is detrimental. I think it needs to be reworked somehow.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2021, 02:17:16 AM »

I feel like shield Shunt should be buffed and less dependent on stacking bonuses. It feels like a good idea contingent on way too many secondary elements, I can't think of another hullmod that requires so many things to be viable.

The only way to do that is to make the hullmod much much stronger along with appropriate OP increase, and then make it so you can't add any other armour boosting hullmods. Basically SO treatment, could also make it so you can't build it in.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2021, 02:25:31 AM »

As of hotfix 6, you can't build it in anymore.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2021, 02:39:51 AM »

Great we're halfway there already  :D
Please don't take me too seriously.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »

The only way to do that is to make the hullmod much much stronger along with appropriate OP increase, and then make it so you can't add any other armour boosting hullmods. Basically SO treatment, could also make it so you can't build it in.

I'd be okay with that. It's just a cool concept and I'd like to see it more practical to use.

Rojnaz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »

I'd like to see Shield Shunt as an "armor for damage reduction calculation only" so that not only low-tech ships can use it.
If I'm not wrong, this kind of armor it's additive with "residual armor", so its good at making hull stronger.

As example I'll give this idea of Shield Shunt +20/30/40/50 armor for damage reduction calculation only:

Let's say you want to use Sunder with this shield shunt so it can act more aggressive (Sunder has 1.2 Shield flux/damage anyway...)
Normally Sunder has only 12.5 residual armor (5% of max armor[250]), it would receive 89 damage from every Thumper Bullet( 100/112.5 = 0.8888 * 100 = 89).
With this Shield Shunt it has 42.5 residual armor (5% of max armor + 30), it would receive 70 damage from every Thumper Bullet( 100/142.5 = 0.7 * 100 = 70).
This Sunder is still fragile, but it will survive a little more hits to the hull while having the benefits of being more aggressive, not caring about overloading and trying to dodge more shoots (shieldless ships tend to dodge more bullets).

While this does not look amazing at first, this version of Shield Shunt benefit almost every ship, if your ship has low armor you can always stack "Hull integrity" and/or use an officer with Damage Control or an officerless ship if you have the "Support Doctrine" skill.

And for Low-tech Ships... they have good Armor and Hull stats already so it will benefit them good.
Pages: 1 [2]