Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.2 - 03/27/24  (Read 244515 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.11 - 02/03/24
« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2024, 03:29:59 PM »

Thank you for the fine reply. I wasn't quite sure for the reasons. As I read the pages, it was noted, how it was meant to be a mid-game threat. So it got me even more curious about the weapons.
Thank you for understanding. I am always open to comments and do try to accommodate requests if it is with the vision of the mod but I am no Java programmer. I look at the wiki and discord # and can understand about 1 in 10 of what is written. :) I am going to tap out a requested update for Ore Refinery soon and JYD has some requests but I can fit in a Hiver lookover before doing yet another CFT update that is also in the queue.
The mod is wonderful and you do a good job.
That is so nice to hear, I appreciate that. I had a vision for it when I started the mod and over the years it is getting closer with the help of suggestions and comments like yours.

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 08, 2024, 12:39:08 AM »

How do you guys deal with their mass fighters? Not only are they insanely tanky, they also replenish very fast

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 08, 2024, 01:08:18 AM »

How do you guys deal with their mass fighters? Not only are they insanely tanky, they also replenish very fast
Good morning,
Personally I go with interceptors and PD weapons in my small mounts. They are a fighter centric faction and it is their most offensive tactic so equip your ships to handle that and they are less of a threat. For example, an Odyssey with 1k long range beams (since hiver weapons have a range of 900) and two interceptors is very effective as beams will engage fighters even if they are not PD and it is fast enough to say out of range.

Overall the best strategy against them is to not ignore them. I have enjoyed reading full on conversations on Reddit's r/starsector from players discussing how to handle them. I posted one by Candelestine a while back on this forum's OP, it is under "Peek here for spoilers on their tactics", that I thought was a good start. There are several tactics players have come up with there so I would recommend checking Reddit for ideas.

I hope that helps, I do hope you are enjoying the mod overall.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 08, 2024, 01:53:43 PM »

Thr Prv faction mod has a pair of beam weapons that create fragmentation damage anomalies on hits which are AMAZING for mass fighter annihilation.  The medium mount one functions like a standard beam weapon, more or less, that creates the anomalies on impact.  The large mount version, however, fires in a sweeping arc creating anomalies where the beam ends regardless of whether or not it hits something.  On top of that it can be fired at any location up to max range to create a swath of anomalies wherever you want without having to strike an object with the beam.  These two weapons (as well as the missile variant) can be augmented with the hullmod 4D Lensing which increases anomaly size, damage and duration.  If you have Prv installed I highly recommend trying those two weapons.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 08, 2024, 02:27:16 PM »

Thr Prv faction mod has a pair of beam weapons that create fragmentation damage anomalies on hits which are AMAZING for mass fighter annihilation.  The medium mount one functions like a standard beam weapon, more or less, that creates the anomalies on impact.  The large mount version, however, fires in a sweeping arc creating anomalies where the beam ends regardless of whether or not it hits something.  On top of that it can be fired at any location up to max range to create a swath of anomalies wherever you want without having to strike an object with the beam.  These two weapons (as well as the missile variant) can be augmented with the hullmod 4D Lensing which increases anomaly size, damage and duration.  If you have Prv installed I highly recommend trying those two weapons.

OoOooo thank you for weighing in. I use Prv but has not considered that nor seen it recommended. I'll have to try that strategy out when I am done updating my mods and can get back to playing :)

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 08, 2024, 04:27:40 PM »

Honestly, the best advice I can give for dealing with fighters is to largely ignore small weapon mounts and start finding ways to fit medium and even large anti-fighter weapons.  Capital ships may be able to use small mounts as effective PD, but without the capital range buffs, other ships just don't cut it.

Devastators are pretty decent HE damage and locusts do pretty good pressure if you've got some something to deal with shields and armor.  Same for Paladin PD.

And proximity mines.  Never forget proximity mines.  Those are quite nice.

Also, IPDAI hullmod is great.  Almost all the benefits of the skill without a skill point.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 08, 2024, 05:26:01 PM »

OoOooo thank you for weighing in. I use Prv but has not considered that nor seen it recommended. I'll have to try that strategy out when I am done updating my mods and can get back to playing :)

I've been very skeptical of most fragmentation weapons since starting to play Starsector because while they excel at tearing apart hull my bigger concerns have always been getting to the hull in the first place.  However the persistent damage that the anomalies inflict from these weapons and the fact that they can be significantly buffed by building in the 4D Lensing hullmod led me to finally try these weapons for purposes other than PD and I really like them!  Though I'm not sure I'd give the large mount version to my NPC captains as those have the potential for some extreme friendly fire incidents until seeing they get used in the simulator.  There are also a large mount missile called the Skata, I think, that fires swarms of energy damage missiles that also create those anomalies, though I'm not sure if they would be quite as effective against fighters.  Though, to be fair,  I haven't tried using them for that yet.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 08, 2024, 11:27:23 PM »

Honestly, the best advice I can give for dealing with fighters is to largely ignore small weapon mounts and start finding ways to fit medium and even large anti-fighter weapons.  Capital ships may be able to use small mounts as effective PD, but without the capital range buffs, other ships just don't cut it.
In general when I go against the Hivers I have a big ole tank ship to soak that has medium and large PD weapons for the fighters mixed in with a couple HE for the hiver ships. Then I flank that one with battle cruisers on each side and the rest cruisers. Destroyers/frigates just cannot stick in, unless they are super mod ones.
Devastators are pretty decent HE damage and locusts do pretty good pressure if you've got some something to deal with shields and armor.  Same for Paladin PD.

And proximity mines.  Never forget proximity mines.  Those are quite nice.

Also, IPDAI hullmod is great.  Almost all the benefits of the skill without a skill point.
All excellent suggestions, thank you for sharing.

I've been very skeptical of most fragmentation weapons since starting to play Starsector because while they excel at tearing apart hull my bigger concerns have always been getting to the hull in the first place.
I am a fan of frag weapons personally. You'll find them in all my faction mods and heck even the Hivers have a frag beam :)
However the persistent damage that the anomalies inflict from these weapons and the fact that they can be significantly buffed by building in the 4D Lensing hullmod led me to finally try these weapons for purposes other than PD and I really like them!  Though I'm not sure I'd give the large mount version to my NPC captains as those have the potential for some extreme friendly fire incidents until seeing they get used in the simulator. 
NPC's have gotten smarter over the years and I hope it gets tighter with future patches but yea sometimes they make some random decisions that boggle the mind.
There are also a large mount missile called the Skata, I think, that fires swarms of energy damage missiles that also create those anomalies, though I'm not sure if they would be quite as effective against fighters.  Though, to be fair,  I haven't tried using them for that yet.
I had to look that one up but yea the LRM line of weapons in general have a warm place in my heart. Being a pure salvager I do not come across PRV weapons much in my game so I'd be curious of your results.

Thank you both for contributing to the correspondence. I have noticed a sharp increase in downloads after rarr "saved humanity". I am sure Warnoise is not the only player that has freshly installed the mod and thought, OMG SWARM???!!! :)

cdmerc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 10, 2024, 01:51:30 AM »

Not sure if it's a known issue, but at least one Hiver weapon still drops even with everything set to "unrecoverable":
https://i.imgur.com/k8OPOzx.png

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 10, 2024, 06:05:38 PM »

Not sure if it's a known issue, but at least one Hiver weapon still drops even with everything set to "unrecoverable":
Hello there, thank you for the report. I am assuming you have the unrecoverable_weapon_data.csv renamed to weapon_data.csv based on your message. If that is the case please clarify as if that was done, in *should* not have happened. Either way I'll look into it for the next Hiver update.

cdmerc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 11, 2024, 01:14:18 AM »

Hello there, thank you for the report. I am assuming you have the unrecoverable_weapon_data.csv renamed to weapon_data.csv based on your message. If that is the case please clarify as if that was done, in *should* not have happened. Either way I'll look into it for the next Hiver update.
Yes, I did, for both weapons and hulls. And it mostly works, this and fighters were the only things I got after fighting ~300dp hiver fleet.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 11, 2024, 02:09:41 AM »

Yes, I did, for both weapons and hulls. And it mostly works, this and fighters were the only things I got after fighting ~300dp hiver fleet.
Thank you for the follow up, I most likely missed a tag on that weapon but either way I'll give those files a once over when I can. I just finished a JYD update and still have TTSC and CFT to go and they have a couple more issues but I will certainly look into this for Hiver once those are done.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 11, 2024, 03:06:50 AM »

I honestly kind of like that they drop as I make good money selling alien biotech to factions for research!    ;D

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 11, 2024, 05:09:26 AM »

I honestly kind of like that they drop as I make good money selling alien biotech to factions for research!    ;D
Well hello again Shogouki, good to hear from you!
I do see a lot of people on discord complain/brag? about how much they can make farming Hivers. The reason I have them set to be salvageable as a way to offset the losses taken when fighting them. Lore wise I figured that being alien technology, the Corvus factions would pay top dollar for research and development. I was going to initially lower the costs but I figured it would be better to give the option for people who did not want them to have them not drop.

ThatsMyFootThanks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 11, 2024, 07:06:20 PM »

The mod version checker says "Failed to load" from the link you've provided.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41