Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.2 - 03/27/24  (Read 244270 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.11 - 02/03/24
« Reply #525 on: February 25, 2024, 10:35:10 AM »

I'm going to get this out of the way so this doesn't feel like a list of complaints: AWESOME MOD!!
The ship designs are absolutely beautiful, and I love the idea of a less static threat than the [REDACTED]. Bringing a heavily themed faction into the game is also great.
First off, thank you for taking the time to give feedback, I do not consider "complaints" a negative but rather someone who likes the mod enough to offer an opinion on how it could be better. Secondly, thank you for the kind words. :)
However, in the current state, I feel some issues really hold the mod back.
   I'll start with the minor: I've seen smuggler fleets using Hiver ships, specifically ones transporting ship hulls. I'm not sure if that's intentional behavior, or if those were disabled and taken in combat, but it feels a little weird in terms of lore/balance/immersion.
The mod comes with them as recoverable as that is the majority opinion on the matter based on feedback I have gotten over the years. The side effect of that is not only are they recoverable by the player but also by the NPC. That is a game mechanic that I cannot really effect to my knowledge. I do agree with your lore comment since they are an alien species that use a different construction technique it would track that Corvus humans would struggle to adapt the tech to their needs which is why I added an optional file in the mod that makes Hiver ships unrecoverable. The instructions are in a file called README in the mod and also on the first page of the forum. If enabled neither the player nor the NPC can recover their hulls.
Hiver planets show up in the market data of items, leading to the player being able to pinpoint them at the start of the game. I think this is very much known, and you probably haven't found a workaround, as it's written into the faction lore (love that).
Oh I have tried several ways to hide their markets but each time it tanked their economy and gutted their ability to form fleets. I did reach out to the author of Stelnet to see if there was a way using that mod and I was told they would look into adding it but the mod has not been updated in quite some time.
My modding experience is very limited, but you might be able to set limits on their markets so that they never have the highest or lowest price for items.
What causes that is that I had to set them up as an insular economy since they hate and are hated by everyone they can only trade with themselves. Their systems have more planets than standard and thus more industry capacity than the norm. By having to supply all the resources for heavy industry there are overages in some items, mainly in the feeder commodities like ore. They require all this industry because it is the in-game economy of a faction that supports their fleets and they need multiple fleets to defend their systems from attacks, colonize other systems and send out strong invasion fleets to overcome the obstacles of Pirates and Remnant Odro fleets that attack them on their long journey to reach the core.
All of that is a bit moot though, as you can see their systems on the map. I'm assuming there's a way to hide these, as pather and pirate systems outside the core sector are hidden from the player, and it would go a long way to make the discovery of the hive feel more natural.
Another limitation of the game I have to abide by. Nexerelin is a required mod for HIVER because that is needed to enable invasions and colonization fleets. The way Nex does that is it only has playable factions able to form those invasion and colony fleets. They are technically a playable faction and I do have instructions to do that in the README. However NEX does allow for a "playable" faction to also not be played by the human player so that is how they are able to use the NEX features but not be playable. Now that may have been TLDR but because of that workaround their planets show up on the map because by giving them a faction listing, the base game puts them on the map. Bottom line Alex has stated multiple times he wants Starsector to be an exploration game. NEX turns the game into a 4x game and I am essentially caught between the game mechanics of both ideas and did my best.
   Beyond that is the biggest problem: The invasions. I have no problem with the Hive threatening the core sector or being difficult to fight, that's part of their appeal to me, but with the default Nexerelin settings they start a full-scale invasion of the core sector 90 days after game start, which really doesn't seem to fit with their lore. I'm not sure if it's their fleet doctrine, their insane markets giving them more invasion strength, bad luck, or some combination of these, but I have not actually seen them lose an invasion. I've seen these exact planets fend off [REDACTED] attacks in previous playthroughs, which doesn't fit with the strength level you imply/intend. Part of the problem is definitely Nexerelin's AI, as even though every single faction has lost planets to the Hive they are still coalition warring themselves (mount-and-blade-level tactics). As it is, every single planet that can be invaded (no story protection) looks to be doomed with the default NEX/Hive settings. It's very difficult to balance around a variety of play styles and skill levels, but it feels like the player has to speedrun a large fleet and spearhead the defense on every front to prevent the sector from becoming the universe's largest ant infestation. It holds the entire experience back significantly. {EDIT: I've seen your past comment that the Hive shouldn't be something the player can choose when to fight, and I completely agree. However as it is, it feels like a "game ender" event gets plopped down from game start, which doesn't fit with the Hive being a scaling midgame threat that will eventually be a problem, but not for a while.}
Well there is an option when you use NEX at the start of the game when you are making your character to delay invasions until your first colony is built. This option turns off the invasion mechanic and I recommend that setting to give the player some breathing room to build up a solid fleet and enough credits to jumpstart their first colony.
   I really don't know how to fix this, as I said my modding experience is very limited, but I have a few loose concepts that could help if added. The Hive could have a timer before beginning attacks/expansion to allow the player to get established. The Hive could slowly expand and not attack until its planets reach closer to the core systems. Hive markets could be adjusted to lower the frequency of attacks. The strength/generation of attack fleets could be adjusted to give AI planets a better chance at surviving them. If you can improve the balancing/difficulty curve of the hive I think it could bring this mod close to the quality of the base game.
The issue mainly stems from them having no friends in the game. They are constantly attacked by the NPC factions and the more mod factions they player has installed, the slower they expand. I would recommend having at least 4-5 mod factions installed, any that you like should suffice but some do perform vs Hivers more than others. I have been asked a couple times to make a toned down version of the mod for players who do not want to deal with them but want them in the game. I am a little backed up on mod requests ATM but making that alternate toned version is still on my to-do list. I did recently include instructions on the main forum page on how you can manually adjust the difficulty level of the mod so I would recommend reading that over in the mean time.
   The only issue I have besides the above is that the borders on the ships have some sort of artifacting that detracts from their incredible visual style. {EDIT2: I can't tell if this is a result of a weird transparency issue, snipping mistakes, image compression, or hard edges in the ship design. It looks like the vanilla ships use some sort of edge shading to help with this. Not sure - I'm not an artist} Keep up the great work, and I hope you find solutions to these problems.
Is that all the ships or only certain ones, if you could identify which ones it would help. I can certainly go over the details of the images and see if I notice any loose artifacts but it would be better to know which are the worst.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion. I rely on players letting know their thoughts so I can make the mod as best as it can be. As I stated earlier, I have requests for CFT, JYD and CJHM that are on my plate but I will certainly look over your comments (as well as any further ones) and use them as a temple for a changelog for HIVER once I am caught up.

5ColouredWalker

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 25, 2024, 04:13:42 PM »

*Unlurks*
   Beyond that is the biggest problem: The invasions. I have no problem with the Hive threatening the core sector or being difficult to fight, that's part of their appeal to me, but with the default Nexerelin settings they start a full-scale invasion of the core sector 90 days after game start, which really doesn't seem to fit with their lore. I'm not sure if it's their fleet doctrine, their insane markets giving them more invasion strength, bad luck, or some combination of these, but I have not actually seen them lose an invasion. I've seen these exact planets fend off [REDACTED] attacks in previous playthroughs, which doesn't fit with the strength level you imply/intend. Part of the problem is definitely Nexerelin's AI, as even though every single faction has lost planets to the Hive they are still coalition warring themselves (mount-and-blade-level tactics). As it is, every single planet that can be invaded (no story protection) looks to be doomed with the default NEX/Hive settings. It's very difficult to balance around a variety of play styles and skill levels, but it feels like the player has to speedrun a large fleet and spearhead the defense on every front to prevent the sector from becoming the universe's largest ant infestation. It holds the entire experience back significantly. {EDIT: I've seen your past comment that the Hive shouldn't be something the player can choose when to fight, and I completely agree. However as it is, it feels like a "game ender" event gets plopped down from game start, which doesn't fit with the Hive being a scaling midgame threat that will eventually be a problem, but not for a while.}

I really don't know how to fix this, as I said my modding experience is very limited, but I have a few loose concepts that could help if added. The Hive could have a timer before beginning attacks/expansion to allow the player to get established.
Well there is an option when you use NEX at the start of the game when you are making your character to delay invasions until your first colony is built. This option turns off the invasion mechanic and I recommend that setting to give the player some breathing room to build up a solid fleet and enough credits to jumpstart their first colony.

I'll add that you can also adjust the Day limit, if instead of being limited to when you feel built up enough to start a colony, you can have a timer to work against, and give you breathing room to have the colony set up if you don't lolygag like me.
In the off chance you don't know how to access the in-game mod menu, it's F2 (Assuming you have that mod installed too, but I think it's a dependency now.), and settings can be tweaked on the fly.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 25, 2024, 05:06:16 PM »

*Unlurks*
Lurker no lurking! :)
I'll add that you can also adjust the Day limit, if instead of being limited to when you feel built up enough to start a colony, you can have a timer to work against, and give you breathing room to have the colony set up if you don't lolygag like me.
In the off chance you don't know how to access the in-game mod menu, it's F2 (Assuming you have that mod installed too, but I think it's a dependency now.), and settings can be tweaked on the fly.
Good point that I neglected to point out thank you. In game, asuming you have Lunalib, press f2 and scroll down to the Nexerelin tab. Now press the "fleets and Battles" tab at the top.
There a few options that effect invasions:
The one that I mentioned is "Prevent invasions until the first player colony".
The one that my friend 5ColouredWalker is referring to is "Invasion grace period" which is defaulted to 90 and can be increased up to 1,825 days. "Invasion size mult" multiplies the number that faction author has set in their Nexerelin settings and is set to 1 as default which uses w/e the faction files has. You can set this all the way down to .01 and that will greatly decrease invasions.
"Allow NPC saturation bombardment" which is set to True can be set to False which will disable the feature all together.
"Enable vengeance fleets" is set to 2 (always) can be lowered to Starfarer mode only or turned off altogether. Turning it off will disable NPC fleets being dispatched after you if you perform an atrocity (Like saturation bombing).

Keep in mind these setting will effect all factions but it is a good way to pull the Hiver's teeth.

Joejoemyo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 26, 2024, 06:54:41 PM »

Is that all the ships or only certain ones, if you could identify which ones it would help. I can certainly go over the details of the images and see if I notice any loose artifacts but it would be better to know which are the worst.
Haven't run into the problematic ships again, I'll make note of which ones if I see them.

Two more things I noticed:

In Data/Hulls/unrecoverable_ship_data several of the ships are missing the two no_drop and restricted tags, which I think might make them drop in game. They DO have the unboardable HINT status, which might do the same thing - I'm not sure.

There is no alternative wing_data.csv in the same folder, which I think is needed for players who don't want to be able to loot or buy Hiver fighters. Even after changing the other files around, I still find and can buy the fighter wings. If it's as simple as adding no_bp_drop, restricted, no_drop_salvage, no_dealer, no_sell or some selection of these to each fighter's tags in the wing_data, that would probably be easy enough to add to the instructions for people to paste in.
EDIT: I think adding that mess of tags on has worked, I'll need to check more markets though
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 07:24:52 PM by Joejoemyo »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 27, 2024, 12:03:47 AM »

Haven't run into the problematic ships again, I'll make note of which ones if I see them.
That's fine, they do have alien names and even I have to think twice about them when I reference them :) I'll give them all a once over on my end to see if I notice anything, I appreciate the follow up.
Two more things I noticed:

In Data/Hulls/unrecoverable_ship_data several of the ships are missing the two no_drop and restricted tags, which I think might make them drop in game. They DO have the unboardable HINT status, which might do the same thing - I'm not sure.
It has been awhile since I did that I am unsure myself.  As long as it does not crash the game there is no real harm adding them. I can certainly try adding those tags and see if it works.
There is no alternative wing_data.csv in the same folder, which I think is needed for players who don't want to be able to loot or buy Hiver fighters. Even after changing the other files around, I still find and can buy the fighter wings. If it's as simple as adding no_bp_drop, restricted, no_drop_salvage, no_dealer, no_sell or some selection of these to each fighter's tags in the wing_data, that would probably be easy enough to add to the instructions for people to paste in.
EDIT: I think adding that mess of tags on has worked, I'll need to check more markets though
I am a bit embarrassed that it had not even occurred to me to make an alternate wings file. I'll add one in the next update, thank you for this.

I appreciate the additional comments, they really highlight things I am blind to like the wings. I am a little backlogged on mod updates so I cannot give an accurate ETA but I will release an update for HIVER that addresses your (and any other incoming) observations. I am currently working on a balance pass for CFT which I plan to have done by the weekend and have requests for JYD and CJHM but neither of those are as critical as fixing an oopsie on my end so HIVER advanced to the next in line.

bibigun23

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 27, 2024, 04:19:00 AM »

Hoho  :o.. Dazs at it on mad schedules  ::). I just spamming to say hi  ;D

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 27, 2024, 04:43:11 AM »

Hoho  :o.. Dazs at it on mad schedules  ::). I just spamming to say hi  ;D
And runnin' runnin'
And runnin' runnin'
And runnin' runnin'
:)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 27, 2024, 01:43:56 PM »

Rarr did it, that crazy streamer finally took on the Hivers!

Good times, good times.

Joejoemyo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 28, 2024, 08:49:51 PM »

Another bug - This one really confuses me. After winning a battle with a hiver fleet I looted them, which was normal. However when I scavenged their debris field it contained a Svrerresh Launcher, even though I am using the alternative weapon_data.csv . Looking at the file, it seems like it has all the tags that should stop it from dropping as loot, so I'm not sure what is causing this.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 29, 2024, 01:16:13 AM »

Another bug - This one really confuses me. After winning a battle with a hiver fleet I looted them, which was normal. However when I scavenged their debris field it contained a Svrerresh Launcher, even though I am using the alternative weapon_data.csv . Looking at the file, it seems like it has all the tags that should stop it from dropping as loot, so I'm not sure what is causing this.
Hello there, thank you for reporting this. That is a puzzler, I'll certainly take a look at the associated files and see what may be the issue. How many battles from them have you looted before this happened? I just finished an update for CFT and HIVER is next in line so I'll add this to the list. 

Zoppy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 04, 2024, 08:38:11 AM »

I enjoy the mod. I don't have a problem fighting them. Capitals and heavy cruisers with long range burst damage seems to be the cure. Fleets focused on a lot of "normal" destroyers and frigates seems to be too bugged down by the enemy fighter wings, before they are destroyed by the main fleet. There are probably exceptions and I'm probably an idiot too, but that was my experience.

The problem I sort of have is with the hiver weapons. They are too darn powerful. No one is forcing me to use them, I understand that. Every other energy weapon is however inferior by a mile. I'd rather the weapons by less flux effecient and the hiver ships maybe having a little better flux dissipation. The 20 cost medium energy weapon almost has the firepower of a plasma cannon, but with a quarter of its flux/second. The hyper-exiters are also crazy broken albeit not as flux effecient (their dps is insane for a small energy weapon). Try a shield shunted mantis (and whatever other ship mods you feel like using) loaded with those, the 20 medium cost energy weapons, and the long range 22 cost large weapon. Which is also crazy powerful and incredibly flux efficient. It burps out its orange lasers and purple plasma balls and the Paragon in the sim is dead in the blink of an eye.

I don't quite understand, why they have to be that flux effecient and damaging.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 04, 2024, 10:30:00 AM »

I enjoy the mod. I don't have a problem fighting them. Capitals and heavy cruisers with long range burst damage seems to be the cure. Fleets focused on a lot of "normal" destroyers and frigates seems to be too bugged down by the enemy fighter wings, before they are destroyed by the main fleet. There are probably exceptions and I'm probably an idiot too, but that was my experience.
Thank you for the kind words and I am happy to hear you are enjoying the mod. Oh no need to put yourself down like that, your strategy is a solid one. Smaller ships do struggle with Hivers with their lack of pd mounts or interceptor wings to counter the Hiver strategy but that is intended. They are a mid to end game faction and early game wolfpack tactics will struggle against them.
The problem I sort of have is with the hiver weapons. They are too darn powerful. No one is forcing me to use them, I understand that. Every other energy weapon is however inferior by a mile. I'd rather the weapons by less flux effecient and the hiver ships maybe having a little better flux dissipation. The 20 cost medium energy weapon almost has the firepower of a plasma cannon, but with a quarter of its flux/second. The hyper-exiters are also crazy broken albeit not as flux effecient (their dps is insane for a small energy weapon). Try a shield shunted mantis (and whatever other ship mods you feel like using) loaded with those, the 20 medium cost energy weapons, and the long range 22 cost large weapon. Which is also crazy powerful and incredibly flux efficient. It burps out its orange lasers and purple plasma balls and the Paragon in the sim is dead in the blink of an eye.
The Hiver ships paired with their weapons are a set piece and intended to work together. I agree their weapons can be extremely powerful if a player uses them on non-hiver ships. But that is a choice that is up to the player, whether to use them or not. I did add instructions on how to make the ships and or weapons not drop as loot for players that did want the temptation to use the Hiver ships, weapons or both. It is a balance act, I can either make the ships or the weapons flux efficient. The issue with making the ships more flux efficient is that does not only effect weapon use but also shield capacity and regen which they rely on for their defense. I made the weapons more OP because you can always use vanilla weapons on a captured Hiver ship to tone it down but the but Hivers will only use Hiver weapons.
I don't quite understand, why they have to be that flux effecient and damaging.
Hivers need to be OP in some way as they have an entire sector to fight and the options I have to make them easier to fight revolves around the amount of ships they produce. For example, most of the ways to make them easier is by reducing their invasion fleets or adding more faction mods to counter them before they get to the player. If I buff the ships and weaken the weapons it would not be as impactful to adjust the mod since the invasion fleets are the same size, just less of them.

This is a single player game so I try to appeal to a wide range of playstyles. Some players want their weapons OP so they can use them to pew-pew using vanilla ship aesthetic since they do not want to use bug ships. Others want no part of having alien technology in their fleet and oh well I could on, but you get the gist. I do not want to force my vision for them (the base mod with no edits) on the player base. I guess the bottom line is I am not that good a programmer to be able to change every ship and weapon to give them parity while keeping them OP in some way to make them a threat. The best I can do is give several instructions on how to disable parts of the mod for the players who do not want certain aspects.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 04, 2024, 11:53:48 AM »

I apologize if this has been asked before but I was curious if it was possible to set a timer so that the Hivers stay dormant for a set amount of time upon game start, or perhaps a setting like Nexerelin has for preventing faction colony expeditions until the player founds a colony, so that they don't start razing the sector right off the bat?

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 04, 2024, 02:39:08 PM »

I apologize if this has been asked before but I was curious if it was possible to set a timer so that the Hivers stay dormant for a set amount of time upon game start, or perhaps a setting like Nexerelin has for preventing faction colony expeditions until the player founds a colony, so that they don't start razing the sector right off the bat?
No need to apologize, I welcome questions and comments. It has been asked before and I have looked into it but did not find a way to do it for an individual faction. As you have already pointed out, NEX has an option that will delay them but it will also delay all factions so it is not ideal. Another way is to install more faction mods that will attack them and slow them down but again, not ideal.

I plan to look into it again eventually but for now, I have several ways to manually tone them down posted on this forum page OP. You can find them under spoiler tags below the bolded "The mod comes with several optional files that can be enabled before the start of a new game ". They are under that spoiler tag with the heading "Instructions to manually adjust the difficulty level of the mod" also under spoiler tags.

Zoppy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 05, 2024, 11:14:39 AM »

Thank you for the fine reply. I wasn't quite sure for the reasons. As I read the pages, it was noted, how it was meant to be a mid-game threat. So it got me even more curious about the weapons.

The mod is wonderful and you do a good job.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41