Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.2 - 03/27/24  (Read 244504 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Hiver Swarm - V1.10 - 11/01/23
« Reply #510 on: January 23, 2024, 09:23:22 AM »

In episode 8 our intrepid explorer starts to figure out the key to win vs the Hivers:

rogerbacon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 23, 2024, 11:20:36 AM »

I found the conflict. In Starship Legends I had included the decompiled java files and sometimes that causes issues as it differs slightly from the compiled version. After removing them, it loads fine now.

I'm on episode 6 of your video series. I watch them at lunchtime. It's what motivated me to install the mod.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 23, 2024, 06:59:50 PM »

I found the conflict. In Starship Legends I had included the decompiled java files and sometimes that causes issues as it differs slightly from the compiled version. After removing them, it loads fine now.
Ah that is a relief, thank you for letting me know. I was going over the code between SL and Hiver and could not find anything.
I'm on episode 6 of your video series. I watch them at lunchtime. It's what motivated me to install the mod.
Well its not my series per se, a player messaged me on discord about it and I though it was an interesting watch. I see so many people just dismiss Hivers because they do not fit in the cookie cutter mold gameplay and label them OP. I found it refreshing to see someone figure out their weaknesses and come up with tactics to address them.

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 30, 2024, 08:39:35 AM »

You can be proud of you! Many players definitely like the challenge the Swarm gives.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starsector/comments/1aemxl3/well_well_well_if_it_isnt_the_consequences_of_my/

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 30, 2024, 09:12:58 AM »

You can be proud of you! Many players definitely like the challenge the Swarm gives.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starsector/comments/1aemxl3/well_well_well_if_it_isnt_the_consequences_of_my/
Love to hate them is the best compliment a player can give. Thank you for sharing this it made my day! :)

Suffer not the Alien to Live. Purge the Xeno scum, let none survive!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.11 - 02/03/24
« Reply #515 on: February 03, 2024, 09:38:34 AM »

v1.11 Released Today - Save compatible with v1.10
   -Increased the max flux by 50 and flux regen by 100 on the Princess - Noticed it was struggling to maintain fire while watching Butter Baronet's videos
   -Increased the range of the Ommatidia to 200 - Though mainly a credit reward trophy weapon it was not working on some ships due to boundary lines
   -Renamed the Replacement Ships Zip to the current mod version (1.11) - Sorry for any confusion, I missed that last time in 1.10
   -Updated to 0.97a

Get them bad bugs!

Demiurge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 19, 2024, 04:29:26 AM »

Any chance we can get some options for finetuning the mod in settings? Nex and a bunch of other mods now use the ingame interface for settings and it's really nice to be able to do that without having to go into the config files in the mod directory.

On that note as well do you have plans to make more options available? I really like the mod as a concept but it's been sort of a chore to play with because the Hivers are so aggressive from the get-go and any game with them enabled basically revolves entirely around them and their invasions. I use Nex with the option that makes it so markets present at game start can't be invaded, this makes the Hive fairly passive early on, right up until I build my first colony. Then there is never a point where a Hiver fleet isn't on its way to raid, invade or bombard my colonies.

AmeliaWatson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 19, 2024, 07:32:17 AM »

I love this mod but kinda wish there was a way to have them ramp up their aggressiveness I normally play low powered stuff with Legio as the "main boss" and Hivers were a good way to harass them but I tried without Legio and the galaxy became food a bit too fast.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 19, 2024, 08:49:42 AM »

Any chance we can get some options for finetuning the mod in settings? Nex and a bunch of other mods now use the ingame interface for settings and it's really nice to be able to do that without having to go into the config files in the mod directory.
I am not that skilled in Java so I do not think I can do that own my own. I can look into Lunalib and see how it integrates with mods and offers the ability to modify mod files. I am unsure if that is the answer but I will try there first.
On that note as well do you have plans to make more options available? I really like the mod as a concept but it's been sort of a chore to play with because the Hivers are so aggressive from the get-go and any game with them enabled basically revolves entirely around them and their invasions. I use Nex with the option that makes it so markets present at game start can't be invaded, this makes the Hive fairly passive early on, right up until I build my first colony. Then there is never a point where a Hiver fleet isn't on its way to raid, invade or bombard my colonies.
I appreciate your point and agree to an extent. Using that Nex option does give the player breathing room to build up a fleet and credits to start a colony. There are already threats in the game that you can engage with at your leisure. However the point of this mod is to present a growing threat that the player has to deal with eventually before it becomes too big to handle. I made it for a Nexerelin game the has several mod factions installed. Balance wise, I'd say at least 4-5 should be enough to slow them down as they will be hated by them and busy fighting them rather than you.

I love this mod but kinda wish there was a way to have them ramp up their aggressiveness I normally play low powered stuff with Legio as the "main boss" and Hivers were a good way to harass them but I tried without Legio and the galaxy became food a bit too fast.
That is nice to hear thank you for the kind word. Now here I think we have the opposite request. Best I can say is what I said above, I can look into Lunalib and see how it works.

For now all I can recommend for either of you is that you go into the mod folder data\config\exerelinFactionConfg and open a file called HIVER.json with an editor. If you do not have one you can download notepad++ it is free and easy to use and automatically recognizes Java code.

Here are a couple ways to manually modify the mod:

Once you have that file open and ready for editing, navigate to line 21 "invasionPointMult":1.25 and lower the number to lessen their invasion fleets. If set to 0 it will disable their invasions all together.

Line 58 "colonyExpeditionChance":1.75 determines their chance to sending a colony mission. Lower it and they will be less likely to be picked by Nexerelin to start a colony.

You can also open data\world\factions and open HIVER.faction the same way:
At lines 259-261 the composition of their fleets are set to max so lower those 5's and it will effect the strength of their fleets and officers.
At line 264 "aggression":5, determines how aggressive the faction will be in invasions and expansion and 5 is the maximum. Lower that and they will be less aggressive.
At line 327 "canBombard":true, enables their ability to saturation bomb, set that to false and they will no longer.

There are other things that can be changed but these are the most impactful. If you feel unsure doing these changes will crash the game if you make a mistake, either make backups for those files first or you could just reinstall the mod. I know this isn't exactly what either of you are asking for but it is the best I can do now before I go into a deep dive and try to figure out a better way. I have a pending request to make some changes to CJHM but once I am done that I'll put this on the to-do list. No ETA on that because that is new territory for me and I have no idea if Lunalib will even address your concerns.

Sorry I could not give a better answer but I am a bear of little brain. :(

bibigun23

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 20, 2024, 02:47:02 AM »

Hey there Dazs. Your "little brain" as you call it made an awesome endgame experience of epic proportions lol..
 After watching various youtubers playing against the hive made me reinstall the game just to have a blast with the swarm. Sadly i stiil need to wait for some mods to update for a legit playthrough :/.. Originaly i stopped playing when i run out of things to do and everything felt too "domesticated" in my runs (the fact that mods kept getting stricktly balanced for vanilla runs also soured me a bit :p).
...Sooo A big THANK YOU for modding this fine game is a must.

On the point now.
It might be nice if you could create a main menu in options menu like other mods and have those lines/parameters you mentioned as sliders there (for difficulty options). Adding an option for the swarm to appear after vanilla library/main campaign quests are finished would also be a very welcoming gift for new players. Still it's fine like that too. We common players getting spoiled big times with the ammount of content and features modders bring anyways.

PS: If you are planning to expand this mod an interesting idea would be making a parasitic core of shorts like ai cores.
Aside from the possibility of piloting stolen ships the core may have infinite possibilities to expand on.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 20, 2024, 05:05:28 AM »

Hey there Dazs. Your "little brain" as you call it made an awesome endgame experience of epic proportions lol..
Heh thank you, I appreciate that. I guess what I mean by that is my creativity and ideas outstrip my ability to bring them to fruition. There are so many aspects to my mods that I would love to add but I have failed several times due to my lack of skill/learning.
After watching various youtubers playing against the hive made me reinstall the game just to have a blast with the swarm.
I have caught one or two streamers featuring Hiver Swarm, which is your favorite?
Sadly i stiil need to wait for some mods to update for a legit playthrough :/..
I am most recently saddened that Vayra and Tartiflette have left the scene. I've been playing this game for years and I have seen mod makers that I have enjoyed just stop posting and every time I am a little saddened. There are so many I could list but this reply is going to be TLDR as it is so I'll refrain from the eyeball strain :)
Originaly i stopped playing when i run out of things to do and everything felt too "domesticated" in my runs (the fact that mods kept getting stricktly balanced for vanilla runs also soured me a bit :p).
...Sooo A big THANK YOU for modding this fine game is a must.
OMG I have to give you a "big THANK YOU" in return for that. I get so much trolling on discord about how my mods aren't balanced from players who just want what other mods already offer it is so welcome to get a nice comment.  ;D
  On the point now.
It might be nice if you could create a main menu in options menu like other mods and have those lines/parameters you mentioned as sliders there (for difficulty options). Adding an option for the swarm to appear after vanilla library/main campaign quests are finished would also be a very welcoming gift for new players. Still it's fine like that too. We common players getting spoiled big times with the ammount of content and features modders bring anyways.
Oh I agree and I do plan to try this weekend when I have time to dedicate to it but I fear it may be beyond me. Once bitten twice shy and all that. Still I will give it a good faith effort and already have 6 hours blocked off to dedicate to it.
PS: If you are planning to expand this mod an interesting idea would be making a parasitic core of shorts like ai cores.
Aside from the possibility of piloting stolen ships the core may have infinite possibilities to expand on.
Interesting idea that I had not considered. I do have an option to make them playable built into the mod but that would streamline it a bit. It's a big picture idea and no eta on that one but it's on the to-try list.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the mod, I really needed a cheer-up today and this did the trick.

bibigun23

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 20, 2024, 06:51:39 AM »

I have caught one or two streamers featuring Hiver Swarm, which is your favorite?

Put aside random videos and lores i like to watch long episodic playthroughs and the most prominent ones that highlight the swarm fights are from Butter Baronet (my current favorite) and Asher games. there are also some older series like Notscoop's and Fen Muir's that have them in their playthroughs but they are earlier versions and not as impactful as the 2 aformentioned.

About Varya's sector.. Might as well be the biggest loss indeed since besides the content of the mod many crossmod features got hit hard in other mods as well. I miss mostly utility mods and super weapons arsenal the same way. Also waiting to see about the Star Wars mod for the huge op ships and weapons.. Still hoping on that one :) .

As for the balance thing.. Ii my opinion what's the point modding the game, adding new factions ect if not to upset the accustomed boring balanced state of a game through time? Is it Just cosmetic?

If the mod works fine and make people squirm then you are doing something sinfully right   8) ..So jokes on them !! Cheers !!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 20, 2024, 09:10:34 AM »

OOO a quick follow up - prepare for more TLDR!
Put aside random videos and lores i like to watch long episodic playthroughs and the most prominent ones that highlight the swarm fights are from Butter Baronet (my current favorite) and Asher games. there are also some older series like Notscoop's and Fen Muir's that have them in their playthroughs but they are earlier versions and not as impactful as the 2 aformentioned.
A player on discord messaged me directly about Butter Baronet's videos and I liked them so much I have featured them on this forum. I'll look into Asher games, thank you for the recommendation. I learn so much watching or reading about how people interact with my my mods. I am just an old guy that really enjoys this game. I want to support it so the more the word gets out, the more potential cash flow Fractal Softworks can earn to put toward a released date and beyond.
About Varya's sector.. Might as well be the biggest loss indeed since besides the content of the mod many crossmod features got hit hard in other mods as well.
I am currently having that issue with JYD. I put a lot of work in making a lore that Dogstar was taken over by the independents from pirates and added Vayra bounties to hunt them down with increasing difficulty. Now with that mod depreciated, magiclib is sort of supporting them but I need to integrate it there to ensure they work correctly because currently they are all wonky.
I miss mostly utility mods and super weapons arsenal the same way. Also waiting to see about the Star Wars mod for the huge op ships and weapons.. Still hoping on that one :) .
I am a bit concerned how slow to update some of the mods have been. In past updates you would generally see all major mods updated within the week.
As for the balance thing.. Ii my opinion what's the point modding the game, adding new factions ect if not to upset the accustomed boring balanced state of a game through time? Is it Just cosmetic?
Well there is something to be said for aesthetics, some players just want cooler looking ships than what vanilla offers and I respect that. I try to offer that with my poor graphics skills but that is not the focus. I want to offer things that others do not, aspects of the game I find there to be a need to fill. For example: the game has mining weapons and makes references to miners but there is no mining in the game, what the what? Exerelin/Nexerelin to the rescue! Realizing I could add content to this game was one of my inspirations to make mods. TBH I make my mods for my personal enjoyment and share them with the hope that a few players find something enjoyable about them. 
If the mod works fine and make people squirm then you are doing something sinfully right   8) ..So jokes on them !! Cheers !!
Lol indeed. I tend to judge things and people not on who likes them but on what kind of person does not like them :)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 24, 2024, 04:25:46 PM »

@AmeliaWatson @Demiurge - My apologies but I have spent hours trying to integrate Lunalib into the mod but I was unsuccessful. If anyone wants to give it a try, I'd welcome the help. I agree with them that it would be much easier on the players if all those manual optionals I have listed on the forum and in the README were instead automated with an in game Lunalib sliding system. Problem is, I suffer from bad brain and even though there is a wiki and a template I just cannot wrap my head around it. Sorry all.

@All -I added instructions on the forum OP on how to manually adjust the difficulty of the Hivers which is under spoilers in the section labeled, "The mod comes with several optional files that can be enabled before the start of a new game" Also, I plan to add it to the imbedded README found in the ZIP in the next update.

Joejoemyo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 25, 2024, 09:04:55 AM »

I'm going to get this out of the way so this doesn't feel like a list of complaints: AWESOME MOD!!
The ship designs are absolutely beautiful, and I love the idea of a less static threat than the [REDACTED]. Bringing a heavily themed faction into the game is also great.

However, in the current state, I feel some issues really hold the mod back.
   I'll start with the minor: I've seen smuggler fleets using Hiver ships, specifically ones transporting ship hulls. I'm not sure if that's intentional behavior, or if those were disabled and taken in combat, but it feels a little weird in terms of lore/balance/immersion. Hiver planets show up in the market data of items, leading to the player being able to pinpoint them at the start of the game. I think this is very much known, and you probably haven't found a workaround, as it's written into the faction lore (love that). My modding experience is very limited, but you might be able to set limits on their markets so that they never have the highest or lowest price for items. All of that is a bit moot though, as you can see their systems on the map. I'm assuming there's a way to hide these, as pather and pirate systems outside the core sector are hidden from the player, and it would go a long way to make the discovery of the hive feel more natural.
   Beyond that is the biggest problem: The invasions. I have no problem with the Hive threatening the core sector or being difficult to fight, that's part of their appeal to me, but with the default Nexerelin settings they start a full-scale invasion of the core sector 90 days after game start, which really doesn't seem to fit with their lore. I'm not sure if it's their fleet doctrine, their insane markets giving them more invasion strength, bad luck, or some combination of these, but I have not actually seen them lose an invasion. I've seen these exact planets fend off [REDACTED] attacks in previous playthroughs, which doesn't fit with the strength level you imply/intend. Part of the problem is definitely Nexerelin's AI, as even though every single faction has lost planets to the Hive they are still coalition warring themselves (mount-and-blade-level tactics). As it is, every single planet that can be invaded (no story protection) looks to be doomed with the default NEX/Hive settings. It's very difficult to balance around a variety of play styles and skill levels, but it feels like the player has to speedrun a large fleet and spearhead the defense on every front to prevent the sector from becoming the universe's largest ant infestation. It holds the entire experience back significantly. {EDIT: I've seen your past comment that the Hive shouldn't be something the player can choose when to fight, and I completely agree. However as it is, it feels like a "game ender" event gets plopped down from game start, which doesn't fit with the Hive being a scaling midgame threat that will eventually be a problem, but not for a while.}
   I really don't know how to fix this, as I said my modding experience is very limited, but I have a few loose concepts that could help if added. The Hive could have a timer before beginning attacks/expansion to allow the player to get established. The Hive could slowly expand and not attack until its planets reach closer to the core systems. Hive markets could be adjusted to lower the frequency of attacks. The strength/generation of attack fleets could be adjusted to give AI planets a better chance at surviving them. If you can improve the balancing/difficulty curve of the hive I think it could bring this mod close to the quality of the base game.
   The only issue I have besides the above is that the borders on the ships have some sort of artifacting that detracts from their incredible visual style. {EDIT2: I can't tell if this is a result of a weird transparency issue, snipping mistakes, image compression, or hard edges in the ship design. It looks like the vanilla ships use some sort of edge shading to help with this. Not sure - I'm not an artist} Keep up the great work, and I hope you find solutions to these problems.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 09:24:18 AM by Joejoemyo »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41