Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 41

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.2 - 03/27/24  (Read 244522 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Hiver Swarm - V1.08b - 05/12/23
« Reply #420 on: May 20, 2023, 08:09:37 AM »

The Hiver battles open with some swarming as their logistics and support ships recklessly charge in and get swatted within the first minute, after that it tends to be the more dangerous and long lived ships that stick around so it becomes a bit more of a standard battle.

Maybe they could be made swarmier by having some ships come with non-respawning large strike craft in tow, like the Roider Union fighter attachment hullmod? AFAIK the game won't allow proper line ships to be spawned in that way but if they're non-respawning you could add some much heavier "strikecraft" that go even beyond what the current quite dangerous strikers of the Hivers are like.
Well hello there, good to hear from you again. The logistics ships are cannon fodder so l paced a ton of smaller mounts on them to swat fighters and missiles while the big boys do the damage. The best I could do for a swarm effect with the hard coded fleet size limit was have their wings maxed at 6 and the carriers set to be an equal part of their ship deployment. You make some nice points and there are so many things I would like to do with the mod but I am just a hack coder and try as I might, some of the more advanced Java scripts tend to elude me.

NasaBrindle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 21, 2023, 04:21:00 AM »

I'm finding them quite swarmy as is! Between their love of fighters and those really long-lasting missiles, I'm finding PD absolutely essential to keep the skies even marginally clean. 

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 21, 2023, 05:29:36 AM »

I'm finding them quite swarmy as is! Between their love of fighters and those really long-lasting missiles, I'm finding PD absolutely essential to keep the skies even marginally clean.
Hello there NasaBrindle thanks for checking in again. I hope your bounty issues were solved with .96a, please let me know if it still occurs. They do have weaknesses but they are not the standard ones you may be used to and that is by design. I posted a nice writeup on tips to fight them on the forum OP that I found on reddit and in essence what you posted is the key. Thank you for the post and I hope you are enjoying the mod.

Couch_Attack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 21, 2023, 07:12:47 PM »

Hi! I started a new game on .96a and I am continually getting a crash anytime I fight these mobs. Once one of them dies, this is the crash.

147598 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at listeners.DamageModel.modifyDamageTaken(DamageModel.java:245)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:68)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.combat.listeners.CombatListenerUtil.modifyDamageTaken(CombatListenerUtil.java:60)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.Ship.applyDamage(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.class.oOOO.A.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.class.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.class.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Just wanted to report this! Thanks.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 22, 2023, 02:19:07 AM »

Good morning Couch_Attack,
Thank you for the report. I looked into this by using console commands to spawn Hiver ships and fight them but I did not receive a crash. Now before I did any further testing or deep dive the Hiver code I did a little research on the NullPointerException in your report. I have to ask if you are using the mod, Realistic Combat? There seems to be a couple crash reports similar to yours in that mod's forum page.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 22, 2023, 02:48:48 AM »

The Hivers don't list any required libs in the mod menu BTW, maybe that'll cause some bug reports.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 22, 2023, 03:09:40 AM »

The Hivers don't list any required libs in the mod menu BTW, maybe that'll cause some bug reports.
Hello there, though I think the previous crash report is unrelated you make a solid point. I do have it listed on the forum OP but not everyone visits that and d/l from discord. A clear oversight on my part since I do have that for my other mods. It's a simple addition and I'll add that to the next update for Hiver.

Thank you for the post and you have a great day!

NasaBrindle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 22, 2023, 05:37:35 AM »

Hello there NasaBrindle thanks for checking in again. I hope your bounty issues were solved with .96a, please let me know if it still occurs. They do have weaknesses but they are not the standard ones you may be used to and that is by design. I posted a nice writeup on tips to fight them on the forum OP that I found on reddit and in essence what you posted is the key. Thank you for the post and I hope you are enjoying the mod.

In my current game I've seen them post "please destroy a pirate base" bounties but no more faction-wide, so it hasn't been an issue, thanks!

Re: Weaknesses: They're also very weak to fast, bursty ships. I've got a phase cruiser covered in burstfire beam weapons that one-shots most Hiver ships, especially the designated "Carrier" ones. Getting in and out without being devoured by the swarm can be an art though.

I do think that their weapons may be overpriced- One of their plasma cannons is worth almost 50k if I remember correctly, which means you don't have to beat too many fleets to have a million in loot.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 22, 2023, 07:06:08 AM »

I do think that their weapons may be overpriced- One of their plasma cannons is worth almost 50k if I remember correctly, which means you don't have to beat too many fleets to have a million in loot.

Downside is that sometimes your custom produced ships get auto-fitted with Hiver weapons which drives up the price a LOT.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 22, 2023, 10:37:57 AM »

In my current game I've seen them post "please destroy a pirate base" bounties but no more faction-wide, so it hasn't been an issue, thanks!
Excellent to hear thank you for the update!
Re: Weaknesses: They're also very weak to fast, bursty ships. I've got a phase cruiser covered in burstfire beam weapons that one-shots most Hiver ships, especially the designated "Carrier" ones. Getting in and out without being devoured by the swarm can be an art though.
Well I had to give them SOME weaknesses and you just gave away the trade secret. :)
I hear you, I've lowered the prices three times now. I'll finish my thoughts in my reply to KDR_11k though.

Downside is that sometimes your custom produced ships get auto-fitted with Hiver weapons which drives up the price a LOT.
Thank you for pointing that out. I figured that into the price structure with Hiver assets. I wanted them to be obtainable but hard to replicate. Having a full fleet of captured or re-built Hiver ships can be a goal but it would put the game on easy mode which if that is your personal goal I support it but I am not going to make it cheap :)

Seriously though, Initially my thought was to make the Hiver assets high price so that when a player risks a fleet and loses then they can have expensive loot to compensate. And, as I state earlier, I wanted it to an expensive venture to replicate their assets. Of course you can always just console command them in but it is a single player game and I support players to tailor any of my mods to their style. I never want to impose my vision on anyone but rather to give them an option to maximize their fun.

I did not intend to make this a playable mod since their assets are far more powerful than vanilla standard. Over time I have taken requests to make them playable, make their BP separate, an option to have Hiver ships and weapons that were not bugs, an option to not have their BP drop, an option to not have their weapons drop, an option to not have their ships recoverable. I propose as a comprise to also make an optional file that makes their weapon prices close to or below vanilla analogs since their overpriced weapons tends to be a number one concern players mention. It would be a little work but if that is a thing players want I'll add it to the next update, just let me know if that meets the mark before I do.

Thank you both for the posts, they give me insight and now I have an idea to make it a better mod that I would not have come up with had you not mentioned your concerns. Now I've put off mowing the lawn long enough, best get to it before my wife gets home :)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

v1.08c released today -Save game compatible with v1.08b

-Updated the forum OP and in the RAR README file with instructions on how to make them appear in the sector when random core worlds is enabled - TY eidolad for the idea
   -Added the required libs for the mod to show in the mod menu - Ty KDR_11k for letting me know I oopsied that :)
   -Added an optional file that lowers weapon prices to base vanilla levels - Good for players who do not want high value loot and/or expensive manufacturing costs
   -Updated the RAR README and forum OP with instructions on how to activate the new optional file - TY NasaBrindle and KDR_11k for inspiring the idea

Another player inspired update, thanks eidolad, KDR_11k and NasaBrindle for your input. I appreciate all the help I receive from the Starsector player base so if you have any opinions about any of my mods please send them my way via their respective forum pages or DM me on discord. TY and Enjoy!

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You're missing an entry in an i18n file.
Unknown string: HIVER_asteroidfield2

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You're missing an entry in an i18n file.
Unknown string: HIVER_asteroidfield2
Well hello there KDR_11k thank you for the report but I am a little confused regarding it. From what I know, i18n deals with language localizations and translations to regional locales. I am unsure how that applies to the second asteroid field in Zesketet though, especially since the first one uses the same structure:

Code
		SectorEntityToken Bugfield1 = system.addTerrain(Terrain.ASTEROID_FIELD, 
new AsteroidFieldTerrainPlugin.AsteroidFieldParams(500f, 700f, 30, 40, 4f, 24f, txt("HIVER_asteroidfield1")));

SectorEntityToken Bugfield2 = system.addTerrain(Terrain.ASTEROID_FIELD,
new AsteroidFieldTerrainPlugin.AsteroidFieldParams(500f, 700f, 30, 40, 4f, 24f, txt("HIVER_asteroidfield2")));

I do have them overlapping though so I could separate them if that is what you are reporting. Some clarity would help me better diagnose and address the issue.

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile

Is it against the forum's ToS to request v1.08a? Since @Dazs doesn't use either Github or Bitbucket and re-uses the same download link on Google Drive for v1.08c, the usual method of finding earlier versions won't work for Hiver Swarm.

Alternatively, would changing the 'gameVersion' value in mod_info.json to '0.95.1a-RC(#)' be sufficient? Or would doing that run afoul of v0.96's under-the-hood changes?

I have yet to update to v0.96 of Starsector and I wish to try out my luck against this faction with my (mostly) working v0.95.1a mod collection, several of which will definitely NOT work with v0.96 onwards, because they have been abandoned.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Is it against the forum's ToS to request v1.08a? Since @Dazs doesn't use either Github or Bitbucket and re-uses the same download link on Google Drive for v1.08c, the usual method of finding earlier versions won't work for Hiver Swarm.

Alternatively, would changing the 'gameVersion' value in mod_info.json to '0.95.1a-RC(#)' be sufficient? Or would doing that run afoul of v0.96's under-the-hood changes?

I have yet to update to v0.96 of Starsector and I wish to try out my luck against this faction with my (mostly) working v0.95.1a mod collection, several of which will definitely NOT work with v0.96 onwards, because they have been abandoned.

Hello there, I do not believe a request is against the TOS and anyway I keep old versions of my mods so it is not a problem. I hosted a version of 1.08a on dropbox for you, here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u21q884qefqh6vb/Hiver%20Swarm%201.08a.rar?dl=0

Enjoy!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 41