Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.2 - 03/27/24  (Read 244468 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a-RC6] Hiver Swarm - V1.04b - 02/17/23
« Reply #330 on: February 22, 2023, 06:37:28 PM »

I am loving this mod but have noticed an issue with the phase ships, and it not counting as a phase ship for the purposes of reducing your fleets sensor profile. I am running with the purchaseable ship data just incase thats causing the problem.
Well that is so nice to hear, I am glad you are having fun with it! - I'll look into the phase concern, no idea atm why that would happen.
There is also a typo with the "Eyes" class ship where the tooltip says "The Eyes is the Hiver's only phase capital ship and is as deadly as it is distracting." The problem is that the "Eyes" is a cruiser not a capital ship.
Good catch on the eyes, it was originally a capital ship but with the graphics and balance pass I downgraded it but did not note the description.

I am concurrently working on a CFT, JYD and Hiver updates atm (had a lot of requests come in at once) but I'll add this so the HIVER to-do and hopefully have an update out by the weekend. Thank you for the comments, they help me alot.

st0mpa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 23, 2023, 01:25:59 AM »

OK so I went looking for what might cause it and I think I have found it. The modded phase ships have the phase cloaks that define a phase ship in combat but they are missing the Phase field hull mod which is the thing that reduces a fleets sensor profile.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 23, 2023, 02:35:49 AM »

OK so I went looking for what might cause it and I think I have found it. The modded phase ships have the phase cloaks that define a phase ship in combat but they are missing the Phase field hull mod which is the thing that reduces a fleets sensor profile.
I sort of did that on purpose since I figured they aren't exactly sneaky sneaks :) When I made those ships I had them strictly AI controlled and it was not until several requests later that I added the option to make them playable. Thank you for saving me the investigation time and looking into it on your own. I'll add it to the to-do list and make the change for the next update.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a-RC6] Hiver Swarm - V1.05 - 03/02/23
« Reply #333 on: March 02, 2023, 03:18:43 PM »

v1.05 released today - v1.04b save game compatible

Some player suggested tweaks, a couple error corrections and two new player requested phase ships, a frigate and a capital, that will offer a phase ship of each class. Also added a direct download link to the forum main page so no more google re-direct - Ty Timid for showing me how!

The update was a group effort and I am thankful for the Star Sector community being so helpful. The thank yous and all the details can be found in the changelog on the forum OP and in the RAR.

Chazn2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 04, 2023, 01:40:08 PM »

If you start with a very small fleet, their expansion can be a bit aggressive. If there is a way to delay their appearance or slow them down a bit initially, that would improve this mod quite a bit (in my opinion)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 04, 2023, 02:07:12 PM »

If you start with a very small fleet, their expansion can be a bit aggressive. If there is a way to delay their appearance or slow them down a bit initially, that would improve this mod quite a bit (in my opinion)
Hmm I am unsure tbh, they are meant to be played with several mod factions in game to keep them busy while the player builds up so I would not want to delay it too long. Best I can say at this stage is I'll look into it tomorrow when I have some time. I know there is a built in delay as a part of Nex's code that was put in a couple patches back that delayed the start of all invasions so I'll start with that and see.

mllhild

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 05, 2023, 03:13:33 AM »

Hi, so I was testing your Hivers mod and ran into a few problems which I dont know if they where intended or bugs:

1. Saturation Bombardment turns the DuskSeekers hostile (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15820.0), all other factions I had installed were fine with it
2. Hiver mining fleets have Vanilla ships in them
3. Hivers are giving me quests for exploration an surveying things, so they come accross as just one more faction instead of an actual thread
4. Their loot incluedes their weapons that have an insane damage to flux ratio for energy weapons (0.3 flux/damage, to 1.x flux/damage on usual mod factions), that kinda leads to the player getting very strong once he starts to fight the hivers
5. I can loot their ships by default, which again makes the player powerspike quite hard

I havent tried watching their expansion rate since that would take a lot of time, but the only dangerous ships are their fighters. So when I send in 7 Timeless Motherships Retrofits from Thalan Shipworks they cleaned up all Hiver systems pretty quickly, so I guess they seem balanced for a mod faction that is supposed to be a thread?

Overall feels like a nice mod.
to be done some day... XD

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 05, 2023, 04:13:44 AM »

Hi, so I was testing your Hivers mod and ran into a few problems which I dont know if they where intended or bugs:
Good morning, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I will address them one at a time but first a second cup of coffee I think :)
1. Saturation Bombardment turns the DuskSeekers hostile (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15820.0), all other factions I had installed were fine with it
Secrets of the Frontier is a must have in my gameplay so I am familiar with the Dust Keepers. They are set as a "good" morality faction and care quite a bit about atrocities committed against any faction. Inventor Racoon even put a note in their code ( "caresAboutAtrocities":true, # kind of their whole job )
Saturation Bombardment is considered an atrocity and they as well as any faction with a "good" mortality (not many are) combined with the above true flag with take a dim view on anyone who does it.
2. Hiver mining fleets have Vanilla ships in them
I do have it in the first page description of the faction that they do use captured Corvus sector ships. Now as to the code reason, Nex will assign ships to any faction for a mining fleet and will first pull from a factions list of mining ships. Thing is, I never set them up with mining ships or mining weapons. Now that you point it out though it does seem like a bit of an oversight on my part. I'll give some of their ships mining stats and assign them to be used in mining fleets in the next update to address this, thank you.
3. Hivers are giving me quests for exploration an surveying things, so they come accross as just one more faction instead of an actual thread
I've looked into that in the past but there is not much I can do about that I am afraid. I have to set them up as a "playable" faction in order for them to colonize and invade. I would essentially have to re-write the NEX code to a custom version and well I am no where near as skilled as Histidine. It bothers me as well so if anyone reading this knows of an easier way that I have overlooked, please share.
4. Their loot incluedes their weapons that have an insane damage to flux ratio for energy weapons (0.3 flux/damage, to 1.x flux/damage on usual mod factions), that kinda leads to the player getting very strong once he starts to fight the hivers
Well that is a matter of player choice. I find that some want that OP feeling and others not so much so I have an optional file that a player can enable to have HIVER weapons not drop or be available for sale anywhere. The instructions on how to enable that is on the forum OP and in a README file in the mod's RAR.
5. I can loot their ships by default, which again makes the player powerspike quite hard
See above regarding weapons, I also have an option to make their ships unrecoverable for the same reasons.
I havent tried watching their expansion rate since that would take a lot of time, but the only dangerous ships are their fighters. So when I send in 7 Timeless Motherships Retrofits from Thalan Shipworks they cleaned up all Hiver systems pretty quickly, so I guess they seem balanced for a mod faction that is supposed to be a thread?
I have their power level set to fend off invasions and to eventually take over a vanilla sector. If you have faction mods installed (highly recommended) it will slow down their expansion or even stop it if you use one of the more OP factions like UAF. Now to your second point, Timeless is one of the most powerful ships in a modded starsector playthrough. You are essentially pitting a boss fleet of ships vs a boss faction. For me to tune them to survive against that level of threat would make anyone not using such a fleet near impossible to take them on.
Overall feels like a nice mod.
Thank you for the nice comment I appreciate it.

I do hope I have addressed your points accurately. If I misunderstood a point or you have further insights please let me know. I am pretty much a one man show and having player input is essential to making my mods the best they can be.

Chazn2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 05, 2023, 07:07:23 AM »

Re: 3

Could always ask Histidine if they could add such a thing, or if they could point you toward how to do it?

mllhild

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 05, 2023, 07:08:18 AM »

Secrets of the Frontier is a must have in my gameplay so I am familiar with the Dust Keepers. They are set as a "good" morality faction and care quite a bit about atrocities committed against any faction. Inventor Racoon even put a note in their code ( "caresAboutAtrocities":true, # kind of their whole job )
Saturation Bombardment is considered an atrocity and they as well as any faction with a "good" mortality (not many are) combined with the above true flag with take a dim view on anyone who does it.
"caresAboutAtrocities":true is true for almost any faction, but they all where fine with me saturation bombing the Hivers, since they all start out hostile to the Hivers, even the UAF was fine with it.

What I think is happening is that since DustKeepers isnt a listed Faction for the player, when the Hiver mod sets all factions to be hostile to the Hivers, it does skip the DustKeepers.

I've looked into that in the past but there is not much I can do about that I am afraid. I have to set them up as a "playable" faction in order for them to colonize and invade. I would essentially have to re-write the NEX code to a custom version and well I am no where near as skilled as Histidine. It bothers me as well so if anyone reading this knows of an easier way that I have overlooked, please share.
No idea, I just now asked Histidine since I was already perstering him about capping the exp generated from colony income, lets see what he responds.

Well that is a matter of player choice. I find that some want that OP feeling and others not so much so I have an optional file that a player can enable to have HIVER weapons not drop or be available for sale anywhere. The instructions on how to enable that is on the forum OP and in a README file in the mod's RAR.
This is me being just noisy, but balancing the weapon to default mod flux/damage ratio and then giving the ships a hullmod that reduces weapon flux cost might be a better solution since it enables you and the player to use all weapons they want on the ships and not be stuck raiding the bugs system forever.

I have their power level set to fend off invasions and to eventually take over a vanilla sector. If you have faction mods installed (highly recommended) it will slow down their expansion or even stop it if you use one of the more OP factions like UAF. Now to your second point, Timeless is one of the most powerful ships in a modded starsector playthrough. You are essentially pitting a boss fleet of ships vs a boss faction. For me to tune them to survive against that level of threat would make anyone not using such a fleet near impossible to take them on.

Yes 7 Timeless are strong, but will get destroyed by a tripple Grand Invasion fleet from Legio Infernalis, espicially since my test fleet had no officers. Also Timeless have a surpringly hard time vs Starfortresses. It just comes down to the fact that fittingly the main strength of the Hivers are small fast fighters and whoever can counter this kind of threat wins.
What Im trying to say is that they have no system defenses besides that Starfortress you parked cheekyly infront of the jump point, that looks nice, but doesnt actually work to prevent invasions. They are missing a home defense fleet like other factions have. I jumped into the systems and only ever ended up fighting one fleet at a time even though I went in a strait line for the planet. If its 7 Timeless or my current main campain of 1 Purycella, 2 Nexxy, 2 Reisein, 1 Isonoria, 1 Rillaru and another few ships, the result vs a single fleet will always be the same.
to be done some day... XD

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 05, 2023, 08:06:13 AM »

Re: 3

Could always ask Histidine if they could add such a thing, or if they could point you toward how to do it?
I already have and Histidine gave me permission to modify the code. I did try but it was above my skill level to integrate it into the mod. I may give it another go since that was some time ago but thank you for the suggestion.

"caresAboutAtrocities":true is true for almost any faction, but they all where fine with me saturation bombing the Hivers, since they all start out hostile to the Hivers, even the UAF was fine with it.

What I think is happening is that since DustKeepers isnt a listed Faction for the player, when the Hiver mod sets all factions to be hostile to the Hivers, it does skip the DustKeepers.
Well I do have code that sets any faction that approaches neutral to automatically reset it to vengeful which *should* be applicable to them. What I can try is to set the Dust Keepers faction ID in the HIVER config file to start off at vengeful and to go no higher than hostile. I'll add that to the mod for the next update as well.
No idea, I just now asked Histidine since I was already perstering him about capping the exp generated from colony income, lets see what he responds.
As I stated above I already asked and Histidine was very nice in replying but I was unable at the time to incorporate the suggestion. I'll see if there is a reply on the NEX forum from your query there.
This is me being just noisy, but balancing the weapon to default mod flux/damage ratio and then giving the ships a hullmod that reduces weapon flux cost might be a better solution since it enables you and the player to use all weapons they want on the ships and not be stuck raiding the bugs system forever.
Not noisy at all, it is not a bad suggestion and one I had considered. I essentially wound up stat bloating their assets as a way to increase their power level. If I made that kind of change I feel I would upset the players who want those OP assets. Having separate optional files seemed the best way to me to satisfy the broadest player base as I could.
Yes 7 Timeless are strong, but will get destroyed by a tripple Grand Invasion fleet from Legio Infernalis, espicially since my test fleet had no officers. Also Timeless have a surpringly hard time vs Starfortresses. It just comes down to the fact that fittingly the main strength of the Hivers are small fast fighters and whoever can counter this kind of threat wins.
Well Legio is tougher boss faction so it stands to reason their fleets would prevail. I did my best to balance the Hiver faction to be able to withstand multiple factions invading their systems but at the same time giving the player a chance to overcome them. I based this on the power level of the vanilla factions and the mod factions that were at slightly above vanilla. I would have to add an entirely new optional to have them be able to withstand factions like Legio or UAF. It is something to consider but that is a bunch of code swapping and would take me awhile. I need to think about this one some more but it is a good observation thank you.
What Im trying to say is that they have no system defenses besides that Starfortress you parked cheekyly infront of the jump point, that looks nice, but doesnt actually work to prevent invasions. They are missing a home defense fleet like other factions have. I jumped into the systems and only ever ended up fighting one fleet at a time even though I went in a strait line for the planet. If its 7 Timeless or my current main campain of 1 Purycella, 2 Nexxy, 2 Reisein, 1 Isonoria, 1 Rillaru and another few ships, the result vs a single fleet will always be the same.
That is odd, when I visit their systems there are several Hiver fleets roaming around. I usually have to kite them far out, go dark and sneak back in to invade. I used to Have more fleets roaming around but I received numerous concerns that it made their systems way too difficult. Perhaps I could do soemthing like Industrial Evolution's watchtowers but it's own thing. IDK if I can do that but it is good food for thought.

I appreciate the clarity and your reply gives me some interesting things to think about for the mod. At the end of the day though please keep in mind that I have them set as a mid-level threat. My intention was to give the player something to go against that was more powerful than pirates but not as powerful as Oodos fleets. Any changes or additions I make I generally try to stay within those guidelines.

vjhc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 08, 2023, 02:58:11 PM »

Hello again,
so I again found bp from hive and it`s called HIVER Weapon BP, and there is nothing and it again says that I already knew it, so my guess is that weapons from it, you split throughout missle, pulse, plasma, and beam bp, and I guess that nothing left for this bp, or there only omni-something-something which so-called eyes.
Nothing seems to be different in special_items.csv so hoping for your reply.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 08, 2023, 04:32:44 PM »

Hello again,
so I again found bp from hive and it`s called HIVER Weapon BP, and there is nothing and it again says that I already knew it, so my guess is that weapons from it, you split throughout missle, pulse, plasma, and beam bp, and I guess that nothing left for this bp, or there only omni-something-something which so-called eyes.
Nothing seems to be different in special_items.csv so hoping for your reply.
Sorry about that, it is an oversight that I have fixed and pending in the upcoming update. Thank you for taking the time to report it and you are essentially correct in your analysis. When I split the weapons into different BP's as a way of making them less accessible, I neglected to delete the BP that contained them all. The reason it is nearly empty is because I had re-assigned the hiver weapons to their individual BP's so nothing is assigned to the former weapon BP with the exception of the eyes which I decided to not put on a BP at all since it is more a trophy item than a weapon. I have a couple other changes already made for 1.06 as well but I am still trying to figure two more changes, the ability to enable them mid save and to disable them from being the target of bar missions like trade.

I do not have an ETA on the release of 1.06 and I am working with some other coders for the potential solution to the above planned changes. At this stage they are both on the wish list with no final workable solutions. Since the BP issue was not a critical crash related one I figured I would bundle it with the other changes intended. In the mean time if you or anyone else has ideas/solutions/concerns/etc regarding Hiver Swarm that are inline with their theme then please let me know and I'll try and get them included into the update as well. 

Volsungare

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 09, 2023, 06:15:45 PM »

I am having an issue with blueprint packages for Hiver (latest version) weapons and ships spawning even when I changed the files per the readme so they shouldn't spawn. Unfortunately did this after new sector generation (I had changed it, but I screwed up putting in the alternative ship skins, put in a new copy and forgot to change files again). I changed the files after coming across the first blueprint pack, but just found another. Is this something that will require a sector reroll?

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 10, 2023, 02:04:02 AM »

I am having an issue with blueprint packages for Hiver (latest version) weapons and ships spawning even when I changed the files per the readme so they shouldn't spawn. Unfortunately did this after new sector generation (I had changed it, but I screwed up putting in the alternative ship skins, put in a new copy and forgot to change files again). I changed the files after coming across the first blueprint pack, but just found another. Is this something that will require a sector reroll?
Good morning. I am sorry to say that the blueprint alternate file only works on a new game. Once you generate the sector and there are already placed assets well the game says hey cool I'll just put these here and if you remove them the game wonders where they went and has a meltdown. I'll add that to the README and on the forum OP instructions. Sorry about the lack of clarity on that. :(
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41