Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31

Author Topic: [0.97a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 3.1.0 - 04/13/24 - Yet another sprite update  (Read 209543 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 2.9.2 - 02/03/24
« Reply #420 on: March 07, 2024, 11:00:07 AM »

All good my friend and just wanted to share if it had not been noticed. I always use JYD logistic ships as my go to even when not playing as the JYD faction.
Samesies!  :D
As an aside what one of your mods would you recommend for my next play through and do you have a particular theme or play style to tryout with them?  I just need to add Hivers to my mod list as I have most of the rust knocked off after my HMI and Scalartech recent games.
Well they all have their own theme that they are based around. JYD is low-tech mining and exploration centric, CFT is midline trading and smuggling centric and TTSC is high-tech and military/espionage centric. Their ships are designed around those basic parameters with some extras like CFT and TTSC have some mining ships but only to satisfy NEX's NPC faction specific mining fleets.

It really is a subjective choice and I would hesitate to recommend what you would personally like. Based on your comment that HMI and Scalartech have been your recent factions, at a guess, I would say CFT since HMI is mining and Scalartech is high-tech and CFT is neither. Personally I generally play as an independent scavenger with no faction by starting with the free start or one of the custom starts that start you as an independent like Lucky Strike or the Haunted. I then only use ships I salvage but I do jink it a bit and look for CFT and JYD invasions so I can pick up the "scraps" :)
I love your passion for your mods.
That is the kindnest thing I have heard in a long time. I am almost done with CJHM, the damn math is kickin me in the head but I think I am closing in on making the output balanced with the input. I *should* have that out tonight and then I'll start on the next one so JYD or Hiver next as both have outstanding issues and even though CFT has some asks, that one has taken up too much of my free time of late and the other mods are getting jealous. :)

Madbadger2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 10, 2024, 05:40:37 PM »

On the comparison of the particle emitter to the PD laser - what that does not show is that the PE is considerably worse at PD vs anything fast - those screenshots do not show the chargeup and chargedown differences, and the turn rate only in words.

The PD laser turn rate is 100, it has no chargeup, and chargedown in 0.25
Particle Emitter turn rate is 30, it has 0.33 chargeup and chargedown is 1.0
Turn rate is vastly increased (double or tripled I think) if a weapon is not firing, and I believe chargeup and chargedown count for that as well.
Effect - Particle Emitters are much worse than PD lasers (and even Mining Lasers) at stopping lots of missles - sure you can kill it faster, if you can turn fast enough, but it will be at least a second before you can engage the next target.  And they can be completely evaded by fast fighters on attack runs.  I have watched this extensively 8-)

Relying on just Particle Emitters to stop a lot of missiles or fast fighters is a good way to get your ship killed--the effective dps drops massively when you take into account target switching time. Where they excel is as multipurpose weapons - good vs bombs, tough but slow missiles, slow fighters, and ships.  I mix mine with Mining Lasers, or Coilguns from MVS, but PD lasers work as well. I also view Advanced Turret Gyros as essential for any ship that has Particle Emitters, and that still doesn't get them up to as fast as PD lasers.

They are good, but they are not a PD panacea, and should not be balanced as such.

Edit: Also, I am not seeing the post you were quoting as of that date, was it removed?  Vanilla+ seems appropriate to me. If somone going to criticise a weapon with a comparison it should be a full comparison. The weapon card stats definitely do not tell the whole story.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 05:55:54 PM by Madbadger2 »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 10, 2024, 06:02:32 PM »

On the comparison of the particle emitter to the PD laser - what that does not show is that the PE is considerably worse at PD vs anything fast - those screenshots do not show the chargeup and chargedown differences, and the turn rate only in words.
I was just about to post a JYD update so this came just in time :) I appreciate your input but doll has make it crystal clear that they wanted nothing to do with my mods so I doubt they would see it.
The PD laser turn rate is 100, it has no chargeup, and chargedown in 0.25
Particle Emitter turn rate is 30, it has 0.33 chargeup and chargedown is 1.0
Turn rate is vastly increased (double or tripled I think) if a weapon is not firing, and I believe chargeup and chargedown count for that as well.
Effect - Particle Emitters are much worse than PD lasers (and even Mining Lasers) at stopping lots of missles - sure you can kill it faster, if you can turn fast enough, but it will be at least a second before you can engage the next target.  And they can be completely evaded by fast fighters on attack runs.  I have watched this extensively 8-)
All valid and good observations on the current version. It is meant to be a one shot killer unlike the PD laser that tracks and follows it's target and wears it down. I have changed some stats on that one in the upcoming update. I have increased the turn rate and energy per shot as a way to balance it while also increasing it's performance as a PD weapon.
Relying on just Particle Emitters to stop a lot of missiles or fast fighters is a good way to get your ship killed--the effective dps drops massively when you take into account target switching time. Where they excel is as a multipurpose weapon - good vs bombs, slow missiles, slow fighters, and ships.  I mix mine with Mining Lasers, or Coilguns from MVS, but PD lasers work as well. I also view Advanced Turret Gyros as essential for any ship that has Particle Emitters, and that still doesn't get them up to as fast as PD lasers.

They are good, but they are not a PD panacea, and should not be balanced as such.
I generally mix my pd weapons for maximum coverage. What works great for missiles may not be good vs fighters etc. I appreciate you chiming in, keep it coming my friend!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 2.9.3 - 03/10/24
« Reply #423 on: March 10, 2024, 06:48:19 PM »

v2.9.3 released today - Save Compatible with v2.9.2
   -Updated wings_data.csv for a more complete list of wings the game uses when a player is autofitting JYD ships - Shadow Rune to the rescue yet again!
   -Increased the energy per second of the Particle Emitter from 70 to 90 and turn rate from 30 to 50 - TY to "a player who will remain unnamed by choice" for pointing out it was in need of adjustment
   -Increased the refit of the Heavy Drone from 15 to 20 - Ty 5ColouredWalker for pointing out it needed some balance adjustment
   -Separated the JYD BP into three parts: ships, weapons and wings - All three will be in a JYD commissioned start's inventory
   -Updated the sprite for the Endurance, increased it's DP from 7 to 10 and added advanced gyros to the variant using some unused op - My response to a discord discussion on how ugly it looked :)
   -Updated the respective images on the forum OP for the Endurance - Take a peek if you are interested   
   -Updated the game version to RC-11 to alleviate your OCD triggering mod manager yellow warning :)   

As part of my ongoing mission to improve JYD sprites, you will see I changed the Endurance. I have updated several ships since the inception of JYD and it is generally inspired from "discussions" I see on discord. I am asking here on the forum if anyone has a suggestion on which sprite is next in need of a freshen up to let me know here or as a PM on discord.
Here is a comparison of the Endurance with the older version from release on the left and the updated version on the right. I added a needed bridge and spiced it up a tad, I hope you like it but let me know if you do not. ;)

Alluvian

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 15, 2024, 07:57:15 AM »

Nice touch on the custom bounties. Some of them are meaner than a Junkyard Dog.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 15, 2024, 08:08:37 AM »

Nice touch on the custom bounties.
Thank you, I tried to make them balanced-plus as they are mini-bosses. I rarely get comments on them so it is so nice to hear a good word, thank you. Eventually I hope to understand how to convert them to magic bounties and fix the wonky text issues from using Vayra's older format.
Some of them are meaner than a Junkyard Dog.
Horary!! someone finally gets the Jim Croce reference! It's been three years and the mod is full of references to his songs (including the aforementioned bounties) and you are the first to mention at least one of them. It frankly made my day. :)

Alluvian

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 15, 2024, 12:20:22 PM »

Horary!! someone finally gets the Jim Croce reference! It's been three years and the mod is full of references to his songs (including the aforementioned bounties) and you are the first to mention at least one of them. It frankly made my day. :)
I got a good chuckle out of it myself. I'll not spoil myself by looking through the files, and see what else I come across naturally.

My favorite ship thus far is the Industrious. I am very fond of heavy industry / industrial ships of this sort; both your mod and a number of the ships from Vayra. Also chucking rocks at the enemy is quite satisfying.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 15, 2024, 04:15:40 PM »

I got a good chuckle out of it myself. I'll not spoil myself by looking through the files, and see what else I come across naturally.
Nice, scavenger hunt! - When I had the idea to make a mod I knew it would be salvage focused with a sub-focus on mining as HMI and Roider Union already existed. At the time I was listening to his music and it hit me that the faction would have a system akin to a junk yard and well the rest is history. I won't spoil anything but if you are familiar with his discography you'll see quite a bit.
My favorite ship thus far is the Industrious. I am very fond of heavy industry / industrial ships of this sort; both your mod and a number of the ships from Vayra. Also chucking rocks at the enemy is quite satisfying.
Oh yea Vayra was a huge inspiration for me. I actually started off learning how to make mods by reading her tutorial. I have remade several of the free to use spiral arms ships I started off with but the Industrious was such a good looking one and fit my vision of having asteroid weapons it will stay as is. Oh and yea chucking that big ole asteroid and watching the impact make it's target spin out of control is so satisfying to me :)

Luckspeare

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 21, 2024, 11:31:55 AM »

Peppy's monofilament tow cable hullmod's mouseover dialog showing incorrectly for me.

Have a ton of mods so it might be my build, but reporting in case it's not.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 21, 2024, 01:41:39 PM »

Peppy's monofilament tow cable hullmod's mouseover dialog showing incorrectly for me.

Hello there thank you for posting. That hull mod is a depreciated vanilla one that was left in the game. The reason it is so wonky is that it was written for an older version of the game and it was removed from the OX in v0.8. The code and description are still in the vanilla game and I thought it was an interesting hull mod so I sort of revived it. However by including it I directly referenced the game code for it so it comes up as your image shows because it is in an older version of the game code. It never really bothered me since it was just a visual thing and the hull mod works, so lazy ole me just left it as is.

I did try to re-writing the code and description recently and adding it to JYD to see if using the modern method fixes it but I was unsuccessful on my first pass. I did not spend a lot of time on it as some issues with my other mods came up and took precedence but I'll look into it further when time allows.

SSchorik0101

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 22, 2024, 05:06:16 PM »

Hello there thank you for posting. That hull mod is a depreciated vanilla one that was left in the game. The reason it is so wonky is that it was written for an older version of the game and it was removed from the OX in v0.8. The code and description are still in the vanilla game and I thought it was an interesting hull mod so I sort of revived it. However by including it I directly referenced the game code for it so it comes up as your image shows because it is in an older version of the game code. It never really bothered me since it was just a visual thing and the hull mod works, so lazy ole me just left it as is.

I did try to re-writing the code and description recently and adding it to JYD to see if using the modern method fixes it but I was unsuccessful on my first pass. I did not spend a lot of time on it as some issues with my other mods came up and took precedence but I'll look into it further when time allows.

Personally I think its perfect. It's describing a tow-cable while also taking the *shape* of a tow cable. I thought it was a deliberate feature and just rolled with it.

Anywhoo, I did have a question concerning something else. In every single run I play the JYD ships completely take over every Independent market and prevent ships from another mod (Tahlan Shipworks) from spawning at all or even being selectable if I use an operator from Nex to "procure ships". Any idea why JYD ships are seeded so aggressively to the point of blocking out other stuff?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 05:11:45 PM by SSchorik0101 »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 22, 2024, 05:59:14 PM »

Personally I think its perfect. It's describing a tow-cable while also taking the *shape* of a tow cable. I thought it was a deliberate feature and just rolled with it.
Heh I never thought of like that but now that you mention it it does. :)
Anywhoo, I did have a question concerning something else. In every single run I play the JYD ships completely take over every Independent market and prevent ships from another mod (Tahlan Shipworks) from spawning at all or even being selectable if I use an operator from Nex to "procure ships". Any idea why JYD ships are seeded so aggressively to the point of blocking out other stuff?
I use Talahan and have not had any issues between them. I do have some JYD ships added to the Independent market as they were formerly Independents as per their lore. When you state that JYD takes over markets I am unsure what you mean. I think what you are referring to is using an agent to steal a ship from an independent market and you never get Talahan. I looked over Talahan's faction file for Independent and I think what the issue may be is there is a limiter on the hull frequency for the following ships:
         "tahlan_Glint":0.5,
         "tahlan_Nibelung":0.4,
         "tahlan_Vale":0.3,
         "tahlan_Castigator":0.6,
         "tahlan_Izanami":0.5,
         "tahlan_Bento":0.5,
         "tahlan_darnus":0.3,
         "tahlan_throne":0.5,
         "tahlan_nelson":0.7,
Which means they have that % chance (i.e. 0.6 = 60% chance) of showing up whereas I have no limiters on JYD ships so they have an equal % chance as other Independent ships.

I do hope that I correctly understood your question, if not please clarify and I will try again.

SSchorik0101

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 22, 2024, 06:26:12 PM »

Heh I never thought of like that but now that you mention it it does. :)
I use Talahan and have not had any issues between them. I do have some JYD ships added to the Independent market as they were formerly Independents as per their lore. When you state that JYD takes over markets I am unsure what you mean. I think what you are referring to is using an agent to steal a ship from an independent market and you never get Talahan. I looked over Talahan's faction file for Independent and I think what the issue may be is there is a limiter on the hull frequency for the following ships:
         "tahlan_Glint":0.5,
         "tahlan_Nibelung":0.4,
         "tahlan_Vale":0.3,
         "tahlan_Castigator":0.6,
         "tahlan_Izanami":0.5,
         "tahlan_Bento":0.5,
         "tahlan_darnus":0.3,
         "tahlan_throne":0.5,
         "tahlan_nelson":0.7,
Which means they have that % chance (i.e. 0.6 = 60% chance) of showing up whereas I have no limiters on JYD ships so they have an equal % chance as other Independent ships.

I do hope that I correctly understood your question, if not please clarify and I will try again.

You nailed it. I just have really rotten luck then. Thanks a bunch and keep up the good work with the mod! It's my go-to for logistics and exploration in every playthrough.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 22, 2024, 08:14:12 PM »

You nailed it.
Got it in one woot! :)
I just have really rotten luck then. Thanks a bunch and keep up the good work with the mod! It's my go-to for logistics and exploration in every playthrough.
That is such a nice thing to say, thank you.

allehator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 27, 2024, 12:57:28 PM »

The visuals are very aesthetically pleasing and close to vanilla, but content is sooo much OP. I will have to disable this mod next playthrough to give other ships a chance :)
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31