Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: [0.97a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 3.1.0 - 04/13/24 - Yet another sprite update  (Read 209694 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Junk Yard Dogs - V 1.99 - 09/19/22
« Reply #285 on: September 22, 2022, 08:57:47 AM »

kayse is 'no such org' (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=21848.0), mnemomic sensors is (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=25328), and playerflag pack just adds a few flags. dont recall where i got it.

as to the issue, i am at a loss myself. ive looked at the files, everything seems to be in order. your non bounty portraits load for npcs in your faction, adn while i may be confused on the pattern, i KNOW i have seen your bounties properly display, but once they go 'bad' the portrait and text never comes back. no other mod with HVB has this issue, so i am pretty sure that end of it is working properly, and JYD non-HVB bounties work fine too.

on the prior topic btw, and yer comment about wanting em to be rare as unicorns... my favorite faction mods add factions that seem like they coulda been in vanilla, with a variety of ships, but also some unique ones added via bounties, missions, salvage, etc. is probably silly, but collecting unique ships is one of my favorite things to do in the game, always end up with a planet dedicated to em. and a lot of the faction mods i add do this... so while any given ship might be rare as a unicorn, when you have a couple hundred such in the game you are sure to stuble across a few. and depending on which you find can make for a very different game.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 22, 2022, 10:57:47 AM »

kayse is 'no such org' (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=21848.0), mnemomic sensors is (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=25328), and playerflag pack just adds a few flags. dont recall where i got it.
Thank you for the update, it helps. I looked over no such org and found no conflicts, however, I do have a concern regarding mnemomic sensors which I will be asking the mod author about. Run Starsector.run in the .run folder seems to change your game parameters but I see no documentation about that on the mod page. I'll get back to you on that once I get some clarity from DesperatePeter.
as to the issue, i am at a loss myself. ive looked at the files, everything seems to be in order. your non bounty portraits load for npcs in your faction, adn while i may be confused on the pattern, i KNOW i have seen your bounties properly display, but once they go 'bad' the portrait and text never comes back. no other mod with HVB has this issue, so i am pretty sure that end of it is working properly, and JYD non-HVB bounties work fine too.
You had stated earlier that you went back to using an adjusted version of JYD. Have you tried loading a game with the 1.99 version and if so, are you still getting this issue? If you cannot for some reason, I would appreciate a copy of what you changed so I can look into if that is the problem.
on the prior topic btw, and yer comment about wanting em to be rare as unicorns... my favorite faction mods add factions that seem like they coulda been in vanilla, with a variety of ships, but also some unique ones added via bounties, missions, salvage, etc. is probably silly, but collecting unique ships is one of my favorite things to do in the game, always end up with a planet dedicated to em. and a lot of the faction mods i add do this... so while any given ship might be rare as a unicorn, when you have a couple hundred such in the game you are sure to stuble across a few. and depending on which you find can make for a very different game.
Oh I get it, I run with several faction and ship pack mods in my game first for compatibility testing but also because I enjoy coming across the design, artwork and usability of other mod maker's ships.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 22, 2022, 01:24:51 PM »

since i was getting the same behavior with the old version, i updated to yer current one. disabled the sensors mod, still get the same behavior. leastwise, in my existing save.

so. new game. use console to force a HVB.

Spoiler
[close]

there he is, no prob. saved the game, reloaded it... and he was still there. shut the game off, reloaded it, and now...

Spoiler
[close]

i notice it changed the location he was at. dont know if that helps, but ye, soon as i shut down the game and reload it all yer HVB do this. it must be something on my system if yer not getting the same and it seems no one else has mentioned it. i did this with the mnemomic sensors still disabled. but i really hope you figure this out, cause it kinda runs immersion

Madbadger2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 22, 2022, 03:24:07 PM »

Problem with the drone PD gun - looks like the "PD" hint is i the wrong row - no PD for Drone PD but is one for the Heavy Asteroid Blaster, which is in the row in the Weon csv right beneath it. Hope this helps.  This, combined with changing the damage type of the the drone PD from kinetic to frag without changing damage, makes the drone pd, and by extension the fighters that use it, much less useful.

Other than that love the mod - though you might want to keep the range on the medium version of the particle emitter at 500, because it has a lot worse flux efficiency (small is 150 dpd for 70 fps, medium is 250 dps for 170 fps - it just adds 100 to both which hurts because small flux efficieny was much better than that)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 22, 2022, 05:07:46 PM »

since i was getting the same behavior with the old version, i updated to yer current one. disabled the sensors mod, still get the same behavior. leastwise, in my existing save.

so. new game. use console to force a HVB.

Spoiler
[close]

there he is, no prob. saved the game, reloaded it... and he was still there. shut the game off, reloaded it, and now...

Spoiler
[close]

i notice it changed the location he was at. dont know if that helps, but ye, soon as i shut down the game and reload it all yer HVB do this. it must be something on my system if yer not getting the same and it seems no one else has mentioned it. i did this with the mnemomic sensors still disabled. but i really hope you figure this out, cause it kinda runs immersion
Thank you for the illustrative spoilers. I have not had the time to play the game enough to get my new char high enough to receive the bounties so I cannot say whether or not it is happening on my end yet. I'll have more time to figure this out once I am done with an update I am currently working on for Hiver Swarm. Figure early next week at the latest I should have a better answer. The hunt goes on!

Problem with the drone PD gun - looks like the "PD" hint is i the wrong row - no PD for Drone PD but is one for the Heavy Asteroid Blaster, which is in the row in the Weon csv right beneath it. Hope this helps.  This, combined with changing the damage type of the the drone PD from kinetic to frag without changing damage, makes the drone pd, and by extension the fighters that use it, much less useful.
You are correct good sir, the PD tag missing is yet another in the long line of oopsies that I am so thankful for input. You make a good point regarding the damage balance. I changed it becasue I was getting many complaints that it was overpowered and turning the Termite drones into death machines. I will give it a pass and look into balancing it better vs the mining laser that it is a ballistic analog for.
Other than that love the mod - though you might want to keep the range on the medium version of the particle emitter at 500, because it has a lot worse flux efficiency (small is 150 dpd for 70 fps, medium is 250 dps for 170 fps - it just adds 100 to both which hurts because small flux efficieny was much better than that)
Valid point and I agree. I'll make that change for the next update (ETA unconfirmed) :)

Thank you both for the comments, I surely appreciate it!

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 22, 2022, 07:37:05 PM »

you said you use most of the mods i have on my list, one of em was console commands (mostly just in case of bugs), and you can force any HVB on day one with "forcehvb (id of hvb)". was how i got those screens to test my theory it was reloading that was causing it.

hiver swarm seems pretty cool, but just a little too immersion breaking. but just a thought for ya... space monsters. something i miss from most space games, like stellaris. rather than having the hive be a faction with planets and such, how about random space creatures that you can meet in hyperspace (perhaps code a new variety of sensor ghost that turns into a monster)? i bet a variation on that would be super popular, leviathans is, after all, still one of the most popular stellaris dlc to date. i'd have em drop rare loot that can be sold (not equipped) and a minor faction increase with everyone as rewards for killing em, and perhaps an option to drop supplies as bait to escape them. anyway, just spitballing.

also, didnt realize carter's was yours too. awesome, great mod that one too. (though i change the name to pink so as to be unique from the rest of the factions)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 23, 2022, 12:27:27 AM »

you said you use most of the mods i have on my list, one of em was console commands (mostly just in case of bugs), and you can force any HVB on day one with "forcehvb (id of hvb)". was how i got those screens to test my theory it was reloading that was causing it.
Yes I use console commands and am aware of being able to force them but I want to have them occur naturally to ensure that they are set up correctly natively.
hiver swarm seems pretty cool, but just a little too immersion breaking. but just a thought for ya... space monsters. something i miss from most space games, like stellaris. rather than having the hive be a faction with planets and such, how about random space creatures that you can meet in hyperspace (perhaps code a new variety of sensor ghost that turns into a monster)? i bet a variation on that would be super popular, leviathans is, after all, still one of the most popular stellaris dlc to date. i'd have em drop rare loot that can be sold (not equipped) and a minor faction increase with everyone as rewards for killing em, and perhaps an option to drop supplies as bait to escape them. anyway, just spitballing.
I understand completely, the original intent of Hiver Swarm was to be just that. Their ships were going to be part of JYD as lost wrecks of an unknown race floating around in space but it sort of took on a life of it's own. I believe I have the genesis of that on the front page of the Hiver Swarm forum. Have you tried prv starworks? https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12553.0 Prav has a race of biological aliens, the Agni, that can be found. They are not hyperspace capable but instead occupy a couple systems in the sector. They are quite a challenge and very well done.
also, didnt realize carter's was yours too. awesome, great mod that one too. (though i change the name to pink so as to be unique from the rest of the factions)
Yep that's mine as well. I had an idea and a ton of ship part assets and well it also took on a life of it's own :) I used white as the base color since that is the main part of their flag but there are other colors and I am not married to it. I am curious, what RBG of pink did you use to make it unique?

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 23, 2022, 01:26:48 AM »

i used 247, 175, 200, kinda trying for halfway between the red and white, while being distinct from the other mods i use. did the same thing with a few others i like, including tweaking a few flags to be more appropriate imo. dont rightly recall which all i modded, so here is my list of how my factions look if yer interested. i know i tweaked the flags for iron shell and hazard mining to be more in line with their new faction colors, outright replaced the terrible pamad flag, and changed the naming conventions on em all for consistency. but not sure that is all i did. few of the colors are still pretty similar, but im happy enough to not tweak em further for now.

Spoiler
[close]

welp, console might help with testing, because that i got the same behavior naturally or forced. but again, it might just be on my end. somehow. genuinely baffled, i am not completely clueless when it comes to modding, but i cant figure out at all what would be causing yer HVB to lose their portraits. it is, tbh, the only serious issue with my install, the only thing i really feel the need to fix. but after reverting to a fresh install of your mod, i am not sure what more to try.

i really like the idea of the hiver swarm, and/or other aliens. more individual monsters than civilizations personally, but dont want to stick things in that dont feel 'vanilla'. that is why i like JYD and carter so much, they feel much like they coulda been included with the base game (though i get a wierd thing with King's Cove displaying the name wrong on the sector map, with a ? instead of ', which i modify in my save directly which solves that on a per game basis, but is a minor nuisance). as an aside, that 'kingdom of terra' mod has a few ships that would make FANTASTIC roaming space beasts, but as a faction... immersion destroying.

edit - even managed to add some portraits for the bultach guys, who did have blank portraits, without issue. so really dont understand why i cant figure out the issue i am having with your hvb. and only them. yer other portraits work fine, and other hvb work fine... but something about your hvb just isnt for me.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 01:43:32 AM by Stormy Fairweather »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 23, 2022, 09:09:18 AM »

OK finally Speedball Trucker (the first JYD bounty) showed up and her picture was where it should be. Saved the game, reloaded it and picture was still there. Exited the game fully and loaded the save and poof her picture is gone. I went through the starsector log looking for errors and nada. I am stumped as to why this is happening and whether or not it has been happening the entire run of the mod or just with the recent update.

@Stormy Fairweather I am so sorry that this problem has been causing you so much time and effort and I truly appreciate you brining it to my attention and helping me figure it out. I was going to work on CFT after I am done with the Hiver Swarm patch I am currently working on but I will switch that priority to JYD and I have already set aside time in my schedule next week to figure this out.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 23, 2022, 05:44:07 PM »

so it wasnt my system. that is actually a relief for me... but a headache for you im sure. i looked over everything myself, several times now, and i am baffled too. i am nowhere near your level on the modding, but nothing leapt out at me either. the fact that the portrait and text loads the first time, and vanishes on reloading the game, is weird as ***. and also explains why it went unnoticed for so long. because this behavior is at LEAST as old as your last update.

thank you for working on this, and for the mod. nothing to apologize for, i legit have nothing better to do with my time, and havent really spent that much on it cause too busy playing it XD

edit - seem to recall you mentioning you updated the description on the fetch deck to stipulate it is JYD only... but the description seems the same to me.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 07:28:42 PM by Stormy Fairweather »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 24, 2022, 07:47:24 AM »

so it wasnt my system. that is actually a relief for me... but a headache for you im sure. i looked over everything myself, several times now, and i am baffled too. i am nowhere near your level on the modding, but nothing leapt out at me either. the fact that the portrait and text loads the first time, and vanishes on reloading the game, is weird as ***. and also explains why it went unnoticed for so long. because this behavior is at LEAST as old as your last update.
I received a ping yesterday on discord from a player having the same problem so it is not just you and me. I have repositories of all versions of JYD since release and I will be testing older versions to see if the same issue is occurring as part of the process of elimination. I am about ready to finish the patch for Hiver Swarm so I should be able to start on JYD tomorrow instead of next week. No ETA on release as I have other requests and ideas of my own for this mod to add to it but when (if?) I figure this particular issue out, I'll post a reply and let you know.
thank you for working on this, and for the mod. nothing to apologize for, i legit have nothing better to do with my time, and havent really spent that much on it cause too busy playing it XD
No worries friend, I see my mods as a collaborative effort. The more player input I receive, the better I can make the mod which is good for all involved.
edit - seem to recall you mentioning you updated the description on the fetch deck to stipulate it is JYD only... but the description seems the same to me.
That is odd, if you look at hull_mods.csv the fetch deck is on line 11 and the desc should state "JYD loves their fighters so they designed this hull mod to work exclusively on JYD hulls that will allow you to launch fighters and drones %s farther and replace them %s faster." Perhaps you are seeing the shortened version, I will change the the text on that to reflect JYD only as well this update.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2022, 08:41:16 AM »

Ah, i see it. it just looked like flavour text tbh. most hullmods with specific requirements/limitations have an error message in red below the flavour text when/why you cant use it, such as telling you a ship already has shields if ya try to stick a makeshift generator on it. serves me right not reading *** XD.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 24, 2022, 09:52:54 AM »

Ah, i see it. it just looked like flavour text tbh. most hullmods with specific requirements/limitations have an error message in red below the flavour text when/why you cant use it, such as telling you a ship already has shields if ya try to stick a makeshift generator on it. serves me right not reading *** XD.
Ah ok, I set it up that if you are looking at the hull mod list on a non-JYD hull you can see it but it'll be greyed out and it can not be installed. Seemed like a simpler solution to just not make it an option in the first place. It is the only hull mod that I put that limitation on because fighter/drone use is a core concept for JYD and it is real OP on some carriers so I wanted to make it a reward for players who use JYD ships.

darkwarrior1000

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 24, 2022, 10:29:17 PM »

on the topic of the bounties since they've been brought up I've been playing with the last couple versions of this mod quite extensively across multiple save files and only ever got the bounties for leroy brown, the nameless, jim walker, and treetop lover. I've never seen any of the other bounties and I've never seen any bounty portraits to begin with. I've verified the portrait files weren't missing. maybe it has something to do with starsector not meshing well with portraits in subfolders? maybe something like the game engine just using the portrait file name and looking for it in the portrait directory without regard for subdirectories rather than using the full file path initially given for subsequent queries?

as a side note, if you're looking for some extensive bounty use via magiclib take a look at something like seeker - unidentified contact. that mod's almost entirely build around them.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 25, 2022, 03:00:22 AM »

on the topic of the bounties since they've been brought up I've been playing with the last couple versions of this mod quite extensively across multiple save files and only ever got the bounties for leroy brown, the nameless, jim walker, and treetop lover. I've never seen any of the other bounties and I've never seen any bounty portraits to begin with. I've verified the portrait files weren't missing. maybe it has something to do with starsector not meshing well with portraits in subfolders? maybe something like the game engine just using the portrait file name and looking for it in the portrait directory without regard for subdirectories rather than using the full file path initially given for subsequent queries?
First off, I am happy to hear you've stuck with JYD so long, thank you! Secondly, what a fantastic suggestion and one I would never have considered. I'll will re-path them as part of the process.
as a side note, if you're looking for some extensive bounty use via magiclib take a look at something like seeker - unidentified contact. that mod's almost entirely build around them.
Seeker is a great mod and one I use, good call out there. At some point in the mod, I did have magic bounties but I received complaints that whatever I was doing was messing up another bounty system. IDK I guess I sort of removed that code and never revisited it. I still use Vayra's bounty system which is sort of outdated (her mods are so great, I hope she returns to the mod scene) and really should convert to magic. It's just so much work lol, lazy on my part I guess.

Thank you for the clue to this baffling puzzle. I have several other updates for JYD ready to go with just this one issue holding it up and now we're one step closer.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31