Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: I don't pilot my own ship in combat  (Read 8647 times)

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: I don't pilot my own ship in combat
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 02:27:06 PM »

Personally i only give little nudge to the IA like venting flux when there is a good opportunity and spam torpedo/missiles or use power if he is in a good spot.

But sometime i do enjoy to pilote ships

wilki24

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 11:36:11 PM »

The AI better at ships that require you to pay attention to a lot of different variables at once, but I've found that I'm much better at positioning.

So, what I do is pilot something fairly fast and maneuverable, but also tanky, and usually lots of PD. That way I can stick by my flagship and protect it from flanking.

Earlier today, I saw my flagship taking heavy damage up front, but its flux was almost maxed. The AI was moving in to take advantage, and I managed to save the situation by dropping my shields and quickly getting out in front where I raised my shields and took the fire while my flagship recovered.

I love stuff like that, and if I didn't pilot, it'd never happen (except on accident haha)

Revnge_SevnFOld

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2021, 12:33:47 AM »

I like the mechanism for I'm able to operate a Hyperion flagship manually and operate it better than autopilot. Tho in auto mode it is still winning properly and Wolfpack skills are boosting fleet pretty good.

I mean, there wasn't, but in 0.95a a good range you can handle to choose between manual or autopilot. For small flagships, manual is usually making performance better due to simplicity. Before 0.95a, its simply just fights of behemoths. There's no strategies really involved.

If you look into modern carrier fleet structures in real world, you'll find out no fleet is buckets of BBs or capitals. A battlegroup contains 1 or 2 carriers and cruiser (flagship), several destroyers, a few frigates, and some submarines. It's being multifunctional and systematic. Rarely a capital ship is the flagship, it is functionally strong but slow in reactions.

As a result, I love the idea that game provides us a good reason to have a small-sized flagship as well being user-friendly to pilot. If you think large ships are too much to handle, then just try frigate or destroyer flagships ;).

that is true my only annoyance with that is you can only really do that once you have the blueprints to replace those frigates, as you will quickly run out of ships, that is why I like capital ships as they can survive quite reliably if you don't have the logistics for smaller ships and passive income for resources for bigger fleets yet.

Revnge_SevnFOld

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2021, 12:36:03 AM »

I enjoy being an old British admiral, sipping wine and feasting a roast while the fleet moves under my pre-planned orders to dispatch those scallywags from the league.

As my screen lights up from the explosions of ships I can boast, "Jolly good show lads!"

Yes, I enjoy it as well hahaha, Its almost like you are a coach giving orders in some sports match. Or admiral like you said.

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2021, 01:46:09 AM »

kill half the fleet on my own crew reporting in

TwigRTS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2021, 01:36:26 PM »

Is it wrong to say I like playing RTS style because my pilot skills are equivalent to throwing a tissue into a strong breeze?

Jokes aside, I play RTS because I can't help but micromanage my fleet. Spending even a few seconds piloting my ship means I'm not monitoring the battlefield, hence why my cruiser has decided to abandon my fleet to hunt a lone shuttle.

I usually run max command/colony skills on my pilot and just stick him on a long distance support frigate with an operations center. I like to believe playing like this makes a significant difference in battlefield control, but I've seen players actively pilot ships like champions. To each their own.

Dread Lord Murubarda

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2021, 09:32:23 PM »

piloting a ship has many advantages

1. u can use the worst ship u want and kite enemies away from battle. a 2 dp shuttle could easily kite 20-30 dp worth of enemy ships. but that feels like cheating to me, so I never do it. I do love it so much when I forget to give orders and I see my big ships following some frigate ....
2. using ship systems much better than the AI. like using sunder to burst stuff. or the atlas mk II. in the hands of the AI it dies a horrible death, but in the hands of the player is a great  glass cannon, so if you're careful you can easily be the #1 dmg dealer in your fleet for only 24 dp.
3. I made a tank spec on a ship once and all I did was shield tank a lot of enemy DP while my fleet was very safe.

that being said, frigate fights is something that I never do.

Dahlderan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2021, 03:46:46 AM »

Agree with you, I have the same problems

I rarely pilot a ship myself, unless it's missile heavy (because man is that AI bad there).

It's more enjoyable with big ass (and thus, slower) ships, but the way the ship rotates rather than the screen is a disconnect that my brain struggles with while passive, let alone in a firefight.
employee time tracking software

TLW

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2021, 04:30:36 AM »

I've seen some players who pilot ships quite well and can definitely turn the tide with their contributions, though I prefer the top-down view and the strategic control over the battle. I was informed early on that commands we give our ships are more like "suggestions" because the ships will always defend themselves first, then follow commands. This makes the game a bit more interesting because I end up babysitting the ships a bit more.

I wouldn't play the game if I had to pilot my own ship, which is the opposite of what many players feel. Maybe I'll change my mind and give the helm a spin in the future.

Ah, so I'm not alone.

I made a similar observation over in the 0.95a thread here. 0.95a significantly nerfs this playstyle, which is unfortunate.

piloting a ship has many advantages

1. u can use the worst ship u want and kite enemies away from battle. a 2 dp shuttle could easily kite 20-30 dp worth of enemy ships. but that feels like cheating to me, so I never do it. I do love it so much when I forget to give orders and I see my big ships following some frigate ....
2. using ship systems much better than the AI. like using sunder to burst stuff. or the atlas mk II. in the hands of the AI it dies a horrible death, but in the hands of the player is a great  glass cannon, so if you're careful you can easily be the #1 dmg dealer in your fleet for only 24 dp.
3. I made a tank spec on a ship once and all I did was shield tank a lot of enemy DP while my fleet was very safe.

Funny, every one of those points is a negative for me. I don't like games where the player is magically better then their 'peers' simply by being the player.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2021, 05:38:37 AM »

I'm genuinely curious how people who don't pilot even win lategame fights at all. Enemy ships are better per-DP and have better officers, and their AI is the same as allied AI. The only strategy that works on autopilot for me is Fury spam, and we all know that ship is just overpowered in general.

Gameciel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2021, 05:59:44 AM »

I'm genuinely curious how people who don't pilot even win lategame fights at all. Enemy ships are better per-DP and have better officers, and their AI is the same as allied AI. The only strategy that works on autopilot for me is Fury spam, and we all know that ship is just overpowered in general.

Without piloting a ship you can still use command points, AI doesn't know how to perform fire concentration with harassing attack.

For example: 240 mixed tech - 240 Remnant, you can deploy 10+ frigates with long-range and +3-5 other capitals to assult. Frigates "Harass" enemy cruisers + capitals, capitals perform concentrated-assault on enemy mid-large ship one by one. Repel other small ships at last.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2021, 01:46:59 AM »

Self piloting ship is an exploit/cheat that you are allowed to do and completely screws up every single thread related to balance because you know some of the people posting about this or that being easy are taking out half the enemy fleet self piloted. Meaning less cost, less losses and everything impacting gameplay because of that.

I beat X fleet fine with Y comp. Of course killing half said fleet cheesing the AI's inability to a handle player controlled ship, so not actually meaning a damn thing but presented as if it is.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2021, 02:07:56 AM »

Self piloting ship is an exploit/cheat that you are allowed to do and completely screws up every single thread related to balance because you know some of the people posting about this or that being easy are taking out half the enemy fleet self piloted. Meaning less cost, less losses and everything impacting gameplay because of that.

I beat X fleet fine with Y comp. Of course killing half said fleet cheesing the AI's inability to a handle player controlled ship, so not actually meaning a damn thing but presented as if it is.
That's the weirdest perspective/take on that I've ever seen. Games having an actual skill ceiling is a good thing, you can improve and get better and show the AI how it's done. Imagine if you could do so little in combat that your impact is that of a bunch of algorithms, that would be a sad and boring game. Or vice versa if the AI was good as the best player, that would be an absolute nightmare. With this wacky mindset you could point at almost any game and say the player is disgustingly overpowered, well guess what, games are balanced with that in mind and difficulties exist.

As for the general topic itself I also can't wrap my head around how some people completely avoid the best part of the game. Sure making loadouts and composing your fleet is also fun but at the end of the day the beauty of Starsector is that I can take each of my babies for a spin and wreck the enemy. There's plenty of games where I can spectate AI try to outsmart the other AI.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2021, 02:34:46 AM »

Because the AI Loadout tend to suck.

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2021, 03:14:16 AM »

Though I do occasionally pilot my flagship into battle, it is almost entirely comprised of me flying towards the enemy, guns ablaze and hoping it dies before the ship overfluxes, because I have no idea how to reverse or maneuver efficiently enough to do that. Once i'm done, I leave the autopilot to sort itself out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6