Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Option to always see enemy flux/hull bars  (Read 799 times)

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile
Option to always see enemy flux/hull bars
« on: August 15, 2021, 11:56:42 AM »

It'd be nice to be able to look at the hull/flux/CR stats of multiple enemy ships without requiring mouse over or shifting targets, as you can do with allied ships.

It'd also be a nice addition for AI battles.

Jotisan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Option to always see enemy flux/hull bars
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 12:05:44 PM »

Maybe a new visual effect, but for those who play with a small monitor I don't know if it would make a difference.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 12:12:33 PM »

Energy Weapon Mastery weapon glow at high flux is a neat way to convey the information that a ship is at high flux. Some food for thought. Or reuse the already present squares around enemy ships to convey their flux level, that would be simpler.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 01:09:35 PM »

Energy Weapon Mastery weapon glow at high flux is a neat way to convey the information that a ship is at high flux. Some food for thought.

This was a thing once. I really didn't like it because the point where the projectile/beam spawns would glow too largely and made smaller weapons get entirely encompassed by the glow and not visible for the majority of the battle. If it only effected the glow sprite itself I'd be fine with it though. That can be scaled down accordingly.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 01:13:42 PM »

I was actually thinking about adding some other glowing bits to ships, not making all the weapons glow all the time. I guess I was too indirect about it.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 03:31:31 PM »

I was actually thinking about adding some other glowing bits to ships, not making all the weapons glow all the time. I guess I was too indirect about it.

Ah ok gotcha. That sounds interesting as long as the effects are relatively small - maybe around the edges? A glow sprite seems to be the way to go for customization sort of like how phase ships currently work.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 05:59:25 PM »

There was a mod which added an arcade mode with a superpowers Hyperion. I recall it adding a bunch of sfx to the shield border at high flux.

Could add small purple jets in proportion to flux, representing passive flux dissipation with shields down, and shield glow or more waviness or color shifting or w.e. with shield up
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 09:56:48 AM »

Oh yeah, I remember that! Hmm, perhaps that's the best way to go about it. Instead of glowing flux conduits on the ship, the shield could be acting up instead. It wouldn't obscure weapons and armour this way.

Sharp

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 01:12:42 PM »

Isn't this idea just saying the little overlay you get when targeting ships to just have that option to see it, or maybe something a bit scaled down on all ships so it shows the flux and hull bar and CR percentage.

I don't think there needs to be an extra layer of visualisation effects to try and show when something is at high flux, or some effect to indicate ship is low CR, just the actual information that is already there just to appear on all ships. If it's an option or a button toggle I don't see anything wrong with it as those who don't want it polluting don't have to see it.