Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An issue with colony growth (demand and effect?)  (Read 2264 times)

Achajos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
An issue with colony growth (demand and effect?)
« on: August 13, 2021, 02:20:41 PM »

Hello fellow space-enthusiasts  :D

First of all, HI - it is my first post so i would like to greet You all and thank You for allowing me to post here.
Now, let's cut to the chase, as a topic says, i have a problem with my new set-up colony.
Basically, i am fresh player, maybe 6-7 days of playing, which - by the way - are awesome, even though harsh beginning. I am still clueless why 1 remnant ship is killing my fleet, then again - I don't know s@#$! about fighting in this game(i mostly run with brn lvl of 13/20 xD ). But, as i said earlier, colony :
I;ve set up a colony VERY close to core worlds with pure intention of mining. But the problem is i can't regrow it - and now comes the screenshots :

Hence, my question - how do "meet the requirements" to actually provide those 5 items needed : food, drugs, oprganics, goods and supplies? I mean TECHNICALLY, is there a container for me to put exact amount of goods demanded by the colony? Because i have them in thousands in the "market" and storage......and it does not depletes them in order to meet the demand. I had growth at level 0,67 before but i added a spool, yet nothing really changed.

Before You say "use search button!" and ban-hammer me, please consider i actually used - many times and could not find a single hint why it is happening. Does this mean i actually need to create ANOTHER colonies to self-provide and sustain those demands?

Please, provide me with answers!  :'(
Edit : seems like img html is not working in google drive, so :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12_NWBgSIHmb5SOqKSHtR84Siz_37vMRk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15JoPTEbJQNbH6DbG03EWaVFtbHh-ajMZ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HvgDtQNXWxGoIb9IjCIfl8Vvn8Y6DeTX/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o4g2N3ZONkPhyN2DAjA89d5jmvtQif-A/view?usp=sharing

Blurple Berry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: An issue with colony growth (demand and effect?)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 02:50:32 PM »

welcome!  :)

first of all when you dont have colonies producing the needed goods yourself these goods get imported automatically from outside your faction

unless "something" happens to the tradefleets - then you get shortages, which can hamper growth and exports

second, you need to cough up "harzard pay" to speed up your colony growth
the costs vary depending on the hazard rating of the planet
when your colony is at level 6 you cant do it anymore and it only grows "naturally" - on the plus side you dont have to do it anymore to avoid shrinking either (if your growth was negative before)

OR you make turn the colony into a free port (which ofc has some consequences)

both are buttons you can find directly under the % growth indicator (you can see the buttons on your screenshots)

accessibility also increases growth and so does upgrading your port into a mega port so thats worth thinking about in the future

Achajos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 03:28:59 PM »

Thank You for Your reply,
As You can see on the embeeded screenshots, i ALREADY have a megaport - and it did not help. I will try to H.Port and Open market, but to be honest that kinda....sucks. I've expected at least normal growth tempo.

Could You please tell me 2 things about this game, first - i get it non-stop everymonth, a message from colony : "
NO PRODUCTION work was done this month due to a lack of funds" - how can i "give" my credits to colony? Or does this mean no trade hapenned WHICH generated no income? How is this possible then, i am 4 year away from core worlds....
And secon - i still have 4kk, i would like to spend them on better ships - so far i have only onslaugh, 2 hamemrheards, 1 sudner, 3 wolfs frigates, 1 enforcer and 1 falcon. So technically i have no firepower. Any advices? And WHERE to get those ships?(no market is capable of selling me their ships without commody)

Blurple Berry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 04:13:07 PM »

as i said - hazard pay should do the trick

cant say anything about your "no production" problem - never had that or head/read anything about it

big and juicy ships you can find on the blackmarket and sometimes even on the regular one, but only if you are lucky
you can get them easier if you get comissioned by a faction like the hegemony
every now and then you find one in deep space systems - usually pretty beaten up tho
or you find a blueprint (rare) in deep space systems and then build it yourself (you need heavy industry tho)

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 07:24:37 PM »

Regarding the demand, anything your colony needs is imported. That is, mercantile convoys from other factions will bring goods that your colony needs from other colonies over. For food, organics, goods and supplies, this is handled by the aforementioned mercantile convoys. However, for drugs, as they are illegal goods in most factions, their trade is handled by Smugglers instead(they always fly dark around stations, you can see they occasionally in the core).

TLDR: Demand is not something you need to worry about until you start *** off factions. However, if you want to fill in your demand from in-faction imports rather than rely on other factions:

Food is produced by Farming. This needs a habitable world(not your colony, which is volcanic) to produce food.

Supplies are produced by Heavy Industry. This can be built anywhere, but preferably on a non-habitable world due to reasons you will find out later.

Goods(Domestic, Luxury) are created by Light Industry. This can be built anywhere. Also, if you enable Free Port(IE hegemony/luddic bait), it also creates and exports drugs.

Organics are produced by Mining, BUT only if the planet has some sort of Organics production modifier on it. This modifier is usually only found on habitable worlds, though I do believe some other types can have it rarely.

Also, tip: When your colony gets to size 4, get a Refining built. Not only is it insanely profitable, the demand should be completely fulfilled by your Mining. I wouldn't quite suggest putting in things like battlestations or heavy batteries because they cost a lot and at this current state, nothing should threaten your colony except pirate raids, and said raids should be extremely easy kills.

Also, Storage is your personal storage. Nobody takes things from there except you, for obvious reasons(privacy you know). Stockpiles are basically where excesses from what you produce are stored. Everything you can export is stored in excess there, and even some you don't export with the right structure(Waystation). These items usually just sit there, they are actually meant to combat shortages. Shortages only occur if your colony is raided or shipping disruptions occur. Demand is NOT necessarily a shortage, as by default demand is always met by imports. When a shortage occurs, you can click a button above the column that shows your exports/demands (use stockpiles during shortages) which will let you combat shortages at a monthly price for taking things from storage(idk either man).

If you have a shortage, there will be a red outline of the shortaged good next to the normal symbols.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 07:41:58 PM by JAL28 »

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 03:05:59 PM »

Thank You for Your reply,
As You can see on the embeeded screenshots, i ALREADY have a megaport - and it did not help. I will try to H.Port and Open market, but to be honest that kinda....sucks. I've expected at least normal growth tempo.

Could You please tell me 2 things about this game, first - i get it non-stop everymonth, a message from colony : "
NO PRODUCTION work was done this month due to a lack of funds" - how can i "give" my credits to colony? Or does this mean no trade hapenned WHICH generated no income? How is this possible then, i am 4 year away from core worlds....
And secon - i still have 4kk, i would like to spend them on better ships - so far i have only onslaugh, 2 hamemrheards, 1 sudner, 3 wolfs frigates, 1 enforcer and 1 falcon. So technically i have no firepower. Any advices? And WHERE to get those ships?(no market is capable of selling me their ships without commody)
Credits are automatically taken directly from your own funds at the end of the month. No input is needed from the player for this to happen. That message gets displayed when you don't have enough credits. If you're getting that message despite having credits, you might also be lacking actual production capability. You need heavy industry on one of your colonies for this. Check if you have anything queued up in the production tab. To be clear, colonies produce their goods, like food, ores, or organics, automatically at no cost other than the upkeep of the industry. However, you do need to pay when you make custom orders of ships and weapons from the production tab.

Military ships are hard to purchase without a commission,especially for anything larger than a destroyer. You can check black markets, large independent markets, or just fight fleets with ships you want and salvage them afterwards hopefully.
Alternatively, if you aren't aware, you can take a commission with a faction by talking to an admin at one of their colonies. Keep in mind that while this gives you a steady income and access to better military hardware, it also puts you at the mercy of that factions rep with other factions. If the faction you are commissioned with goes to war with another faction, then you will also be at war with that second faction.

Jo Jo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 09:03:04 AM »

Hello fellow space-enthusiasts  :D

First of all, HI - it is my first post so i would like to greet You all and thank You for allowing me to post here.
Now, let's cut to the chase, as a topic says, i have a problem with my new set-up colony.
Basically, i am fresh player, maybe 6-7 days of playing, which - by the way - are awesome, even though harsh beginning. I am still clueless why 1 remnant ship is killing my fleet, then again - I don't know s@#$! about fighting in this game(i mostly run with brn lvl of 13/20 xD ). But, as i said earlier, colony :

Hence, my question - how do "meet the requirements" to actually provide those 5 items needed : food, drugs, oprganics, goods and supplies? I mean TECHNICALLY, is there a container for me to put exact amount of goods demanded by the colony? Because i have them in thousands in the "market" and storage......and it does not depletes them in order to meet the demand. I had growth at level 0,67 before but i added a spool, yet nothing really changed.

Before You say "use search button!" and ban-hammer me, please consider i actually used - many times and could not find a single hint why it is happening. Does this mean i actually need to create ANOTHER colonies to self-provide and sustain those demands?

Hello and welcome to the game. I am also a new player with zero hours, and I'm currently learning the game through tips and tricks / tutorial videos I'm able to find on YT. Here's one that might be helpful for you, as it's an overview of colonies in general. The video seems relatively good, though the comments section sure adds to the info available and is provided by more experienced players. Good luck.

Achajos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 11:26:12 AM »

Regarding the demand, anything your colony needs is imported. That is, mercantile convoys from other factions will bring goods that your colony needs from other colonies over. For food, organics, goods and supplies, this is handled by the aforementioned mercantile convoys. However, for drugs, as they are illegal goods in most factions, their trade is handled by Smugglers instead(they always fly dark around stations, you can see they occasionally in the core).

TLDR: Demand is not something you need to worry about until you start *** off factions. However, if you want to fill in your demand from in-faction imports rather than rely on other factions:

Food is produced by Farming. This needs a habitable world(not your colony, which is volcanic) to produce food.

Supplies are produced by Heavy Industry. This can be built anywhere, but preferably on a non-habitable world due to reasons you will find out later.

Goods(Domestic, Luxury) are created by Light Industry. This can be built anywhere. Also, if you enable Free Port(IE hegemony/luddic bait), it also creates and exports drugs.

Organics are produced by Mining, BUT only if the planet has some sort of Organics production modifier on it. This modifier is usually only found on habitable worlds, though I do believe some other types can have it rarely.

Also, tip: When your colony gets to size 4, get a Refining built. Not only is it insanely profitable, the demand should be completely fulfilled by your Mining. I wouldn't quite suggest putting in things like battlestations or heavy batteries because they cost a lot and at this current state, nothing should threaten your colony except pirate raids, and said raids should be extremely easy kills.

Also, Storage is your personal storage. Nobody takes things from there except you, for obvious reasons(privacy you know). Stockpiles are basically where excesses from what you produce are stored. Everything you can export is stored in excess there, and even some you don't export with the right structure(Waystation). These items usually just sit there, they are actually meant to combat shortages. Shortages only occur if your colony is raided or shipping disruptions occur. Demand is NOT necessarily a shortage, as by default demand is always met by imports. When a shortage occurs, you can click a button above the column that shows your exports/demands (use stockpiles during shortages) which will let you combat shortages at a monthly price for taking things from storage(idk either man).

If you have a shortage, there will be a red outline of the shortaged good next to the normal symbols.

Thank You for Your reply, JAL28,
I took over 200k ore from stockpile to sell, only to find out it actually double charged me because of taking it - which kinda makes sense but also does not; My actual costs of colony increased threefold right now and i don't even know why anymore  :o Do You recommend decreasing/lowering battlestations etc to lower the costs? I did them so i can fend off raids - since my fleet is kinda ***(armed trade convoys), guess i gotta need those commissions after all.

Military ships are hard to purchase without a commission,especially for anything larger than a destroyer. You can check black markets, large independent markets, or just fight fleets with ships you want and salvage them afterwards hopefully.
Alternatively, if you aren't aware, you can take a commission with a faction by talking to an admin at one of their colonies. Keep in mind that while this gives you a steady income and access to better military hardware, it also puts you at the mercy of that factions rep with other factions. If the faction you are commissioned with goes to war with another faction, then you will also be at war with that second faction.

Much obliged, Phenir, by production do You mean building upgrading? Cause if not - i have no idea i have a production window?
I will now try to play now with those advices, hope to get better results!

Hello and have fun, Jo Jo!

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 11:41:46 AM »

Taking stuff from the stockpile shouldn't have any affect on income beyond getting charged for the items you took afaik. I don't think you can cause a shortage by emptying out your stockpile. If your colony incomes are down, that really sounds like shortages caused by lost trade fleets, or new faction hostilities causing accessibility loss.

I personally would never downgrade defenses. If I can't afford defenses on a colony while it grows, I wouldn't start the colony in the first place. Colonies really are money sinks until they hit size 5 though, particularly ones with high hazard. You should expect to dump one or two million credits into them before you start making significant profits.

Achajos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 04:41:44 PM »

I have already dumped 4 in two colonies combined, which is last 1,5 week of playing and smuggling.
I can't proceed further - god info about space muslims attacking soon yet destroying their base is impossible, i lack firepower.
I can't get any betterships, its just nowhere to buy them, all i get are 3-dmods ships that mostly are useless anyway.
My low tech Onslaugh stays outside the fights even with full assault command, but that does not even matter since his kinetics weapons do...nothing to shields of Remnants's bigger ships, or even pirates buffalos....
So i have no suystems to explore(already done), no fleet to fight, no colonies to earn....How is this even possible it's THAT hard??

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 12:41:58 PM »

Much obliged, Phenir, by production do You mean building upgrading? Cause if not - i have no idea i have a production window?
I will now try to play now with those advices, hope to get better results!
By production I mean when you tell your colonies to produce specific ships or weapons for you. You can do this from the campaign map. Click Command at the bottom of the screen then custom production at the top. You need heavy industry on one of your colonies for this and it takes some credits out of your pocket but it's worth it. Ships and weapons made this way are cheaper than buying but you need the blueprint for whatever you are making. You surely found some blueprints while exploring but you can also get some from raiding planets that have heavy industry. It takes a lot of marines though.

I have already dumped 4 in two colonies combined, which is last 1,5 week of playing and smuggling.
I can't proceed further - god info about space muslims attacking soon yet destroying their base is impossible, i lack firepower.
I can't get any betterships, its just nowhere to buy them, all i get are 3-dmods ships that mostly are useless anyway.
My low tech Onslaugh stays outside the fights even with full assault command, but that does not even matter since his kinetics weapons do...nothing to shields of Remnants's bigger ships, or even pirates buffalos....
So i have no suystems to explore(already done), no fleet to fight, no colonies to earn....How is this even possible it's THAT hard??
For low risk money, you can try doing trading. Delivery missions in the bar ("nod to the concerned man") are easy and give a lot of credits especially. You could also store some of your fleet in one of your colonies and do some basic scanning missions. All you need for those is a tanker and something to carry supplies for it. Since crew don't need pay while in storage, this can significantly cut down on expenditures while you get back on you feet, especially since you are using an onslaught which has a huge crew requirement. Smuggling drugs is also an option, buy them at Tri-tachyon colonies and then sell them to pirates that have an inevitable shortage. There's also the missions given by the Galatia academy which are generally pretty easy and usually are grouped together so you can grab a bunch and do them all at once.
Can't say much about the onslaught's combat problems without seeing the loadout but the onslaught is a slow ship that relies on its range to kill things so it hanging back isn't uncommon.