Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What's Your Phobia?  (Read 25335 times)

Vaster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What's Your Phobia?
« on: April 17, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »

Okay, it doesn't have to be an actual phobia (but it can be). And of course, you are not forced to say, but what frightens you in some shape or form?

I myself have, to my shame, Trypanophobia. The fear of needles. I don't freak the hell out and go insane near them or anything, but I get somewhat fidgety, nervous, and the pain from them sticking one in me seems more heightened than normal.

Not too good with heights, either.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Phobia?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:07:41 PM »

Fishing, due to the hooks.
Dentists, it's a long history.
Doctors in general, an even longer history.
Needles, duh, nobody like those things.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »

I have a little bit of a problem with emotional forthrightness, in that I'm hesitant to be emotionally forthright, but I like to think that it hasn't held me back that much. I guess people think I'm kind of an *** sometimes.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »

Why is everyone afraid of needles?  It gets kinda...boring (?) after the first time you draw blood.  No offense, though.

I'm deathly afraid of heights.  Also have stage fright.

Does that mean you dislike the Storm Needler... :D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 07:27:34 PM »

I'm deathly afraid of heights.  Also have stage fright.

Ah yes, forgot about those two.

Once got in a small rickety airplane with my mother as a mothers day or her birthday or something. NEVER AGAIN!!

Vaster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »

Why is everyone afraid of needles?  It gets kinda...boring (?) after the first time you draw blood.  No offense, though.

I'd like to know that myself, but my mind is in the habit of keeping secrets from me.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 07:54:34 PM »

I used to have fear of height.  I would sweat like a waterfall and my heart would beat like a drum if I was near the edge on a balcony or anything like that.  Then I just kept walking near the railing on multi-stories buildings like giant malls.  Pretty much over it now.

Insects still creep me out.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »

i have yet to find a fear that i would call a phobia.

there are a lot of things that people in general can find there afraid of.. i find power in surpassing the fear.

so for me

needles the first time i saw one and was thinking about the pain.. then got stuck and went.. pfft. what was i afraid of really. its like a pinch and a little pressure
flying. ( i litterally was freaking out the passangers next to me and that got me a free upgrade to business class oh yea MUA HA HA HA) after that was never afraid of flying again once i got to talk to the pilot on the plane. and now i work at an airport so LOL how did that happen who knows.
heights well... should clarify. leaning over large falls with no safety equipment. im not so "afraid" of the height as i am of leaning over a cliff with no safety gear. with the safety gear or some other device to prevent me from falling more than a few feet im not afraid at all. heck depending on what you are doing or where you are it can be kind of cool/fun with a view etc. (30 mph in a truck while 30 feet in the air on a bumpy road.. that was intresting though i was laughing by the end of it)
bugs... the creepy crawly bugs.. like certain types of large spyders, wasps, bees, those were my fears for a long time.. now.. spider.. meet boot heal. bee meh there really not so intrested in you if you dont freak out and go balistic. and wasps well.. last time a wasp landed on me it stung my jacket and i flicked it off, never did see it land on me either. all that being said if im in an area with wasps or bees i will still leave the area.. just not freaking out, but calmly walking away.
im sure there are more im not thinking of.. but i find that if you can keep calm and keep your wits about you most life threatening situations and fears can be over come extremly easily and safely..

OH... yea the first time my room mate got a pistol... that was probably the time i was the most afraid for my life ever because he didnt know what "gun safety was" i was about ready to put him to sleep shall we say by the end of the night... that freaked me out more than even waking up to my mother screeming bloody murder because of an intruder in our house... in her room trying to assault her. that guy didnt have a gun.. he was just druged out of his mind and as strong as a freaking ox.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »

OH... yea the first time my room mate got a pistol... that was probably the time i was the most afraid for my life ever because he didnt know what "gun safety was" i was about ready to put him to sleep shall we say by the end of the night... that freaked me out more than even waking up to my mother screeming bloody murder because of an intruder in our house... in her room trying to assault her. that guy didnt have a gun.. he was just druged out of his mind and as strong as a freaking ox.

This pisses me off. I own a handgun, and I bought it with the knowledge that I should have a basic level of competency and safety in mind. Four basic rules of firearms everyone who buys should know. Hell, everyone near a gun or a person who owns a gun should know:

1) Treat every weapon as though it were loaded.
2) Do not point your weapon at anything you do not intend to destroy.
3) Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4) Be aware of your target's foreground and background.

If you can't even drill this into your brain, the government shouldn't allow you to buy a weapon; your friend should have known better.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »

This pisses me off. I own a handgun, and I bought it with the knowledge that I should have a basic level of competency and safety in mind. Four basic rules of firearms everyone who buys should know. Hell, everyone near a gun or a person who owns a gun should know:

1) Treat every weapon as though it were loaded.
2) Do not point your weapon at anything you do not intend to destroy.
3) Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4) Be aware of your target's foreground and background.

If you can't even drill this into your brain, the government shouldn't allow you to buy a weapon; your friend should have known better.

lets grade my former room mate.. when he got his gun

question
1) fail
2) fail
3) fail
4) fail
now you know why i wanted to turn his lights off. because i had been around guns years before he owned one and i already knew about gun safety.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »

No kidding. Eugh.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:28 PM »

even though it was probably about 8 years ago now i can still vividly remember part of the conversation we had that night..

me " dont point that damn thing at me or even in my general direction keep it pointed at the ground"
him " why, what are you afraid of its not loaded"
me " are you F****** kidding me are you stupid dont point that thing at me Idiot"
him "laugh"
me " so help me if you point that thing at me again were going to have a fight right here right now understand"
him "left the room"
Alex

Preator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »

Disease.

The very thought of some hidden entity which may cause gross bodily harm or horrible disfigurement is absolutely terrifying to me. It's not enough to make me "phobic" per se of any aspect of everyday life, but it's a lurking fear of mine that I've had for a very long time.
"Of such commotion, such as to set forth
Great things by small, If Natures concord broke,
Among the Constellations warr were sprung,
Two Planets rushing from aspect maligne
Of fiercest opposition in mid Skie/ Should combat..."

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 10:20:22 PM »

I'm an Herpetologist, so I work with things that many people think are creepy, but I have yet some kind of reluctancy submerging my hands in bugs when we got to feed the animals D:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:58:36 PM by Uomoz »

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »

Wasps. not bees got no problem with bees but those goddamn wasps scare me half to death if i'm near one. I'll go around and use the backdoor to my house if theres a wasp near the front door. I go through so many cans of Raid cause i'll just spray every bush if i see a wasp on my property. It actually has worked out pretty well usually the bastards will show up for a few weeks at the start of summer before i wipe them all out and can be calm.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6